road cycling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flying haggis":3fokjuf3 said:
MikeG.":3fokjuf3 said:
flying haggis":3fokjuf3 said:
........ of course this "race" and the others like it are spread along thousands of kilometres of road.........

No, it isn't. You seem to be wearing your ignorance with pride.

just like you then.

the race we have just seen was nearly one thousand kms in total.........

No. Your opening post said:

Just seen coverage of this event in Yorkshire on tv

That event is the the World Championships. The longest race in the World Championships is the Mens Road Race, at 262 km. It's always best to line your facts up properly before you start a rant.

I did a bit of road cycling a couple of years back for fitness. Never rode in a group always solo and never really had many problems with cars as long as I acknowledged their patience when I was difficult to pass. One thing that worried me at first was not really being able to see what was behind me, you could sometimes hear an engine, but often that was covered by wind noise. I bought a bar end mirror similar to this:

18E7200C-E7CE-4C19-B4D4-9C0618396B8A.jpeg

It made the world of difference to my awareness of other road users. I really think some sort of rear view mirror should be compulsory along with a cycling helmet.

Attachments

• 18E7200C-E7CE-4C19-B4D4-9C0618396B8A.jpeg
    18E7200C-E7CE-4C19-B4D4-9C0618396B8A.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 205
flying haggis":1af3fsac said:
MikeG.":1af3fsac said:
flying haggis":1af3fsac said:
........ of course this "race" and the others like it are spread along thousands of kilometres of road.........

No, it isn't. You seem to be wearing your ignorance with pride.

just like you then.

the race we have just seen was nearly one thousand kms in total and races like the tour of yorkshire are of similiar length so together they are thousands. the disruption is not just to the main route but every side road to the main route will also be affected as they will be closed for periods of time therefore causing more disruption. what if you or i needed to cross the main route during the closure.

There's generally no problem crossing the road outside the city centre areas. It's not all fenced, there are no marshals every 10 yards with big sticks. I've crossed in such circumstances without issue. Many folk even run along with the riders yelling in their ears. As MikeG mentioned, the men's WC race was 160 odd miles, took 3 hours or so to pass with some time each end of the period, would've no doubt been less if the weather and conditions had been more friendly.
I'm sure the economy in the area got a much needed boost valued in many millions.
I did smile when you mentioned about cars going all over the road and the wrong way around roundabouts. The roads are closed via road closing orders (quite a new thing in England, which is good news) so normal traffic rules don't apply.

I'm sure FH you've been to some sort of event/s where large numbers are in attendance. It pretty much evens things out.

thick_mike":2a4v76tj said:
I did a bit of road cycling a couple of years back for fitness. Never rode in a group always solo and never really had many problems with cars as long as I acknowledged their patience when I was difficult to pass. One thing that worried me at first was not really being able to see what was behind me, you could sometimes hear an engine, but often that was covered by wind noise. I bought a bar end mirror similar to this:

It made the world of difference to my awareness of other road users. I really think some sort of rear view mirror should be compulsory along with a cycling helmet.
I've never used a mirror. Obviously a good idea in principle but in general people seem to think they are problematic. Most likely because they can only be small?
Got these opinions from the horses mouth: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.p ... it=mirrors
Might give it a go one day, but I've got bar end shifters on both bikes and I think there's nowhere else practical to fit them.
Compulsory? Only if there's convincing evidence that they'd stop accidents. I don't think there is, it's never mentioned.

""I did smile when you mentioned about cars going all over the road and the wrong way around roundabouts. The roads are closed via road closing orders (quite a new thing in England, which is good news) so normal traffic rules don't apply.""

well this happened in Norwich during a cycle race and the roads werent closed off but still the support vehicles thought they were gods gift and woe betide anyone who got in there way, some absolutely appalling driving there

https://youtu.be/DZyB73gfcYE

thick_mike":2antw7g0 said:
....... I bought a bar end mirror similar to this:

I have tried those, and other types of mirrors, including helmet mounted mirrors. They all suffer badly from vibrations, albeit those bar-enders were the least affected. The vibrations were so bad that it was impossible to see anything at all in the mirror. Until we get the tarmac sorted out in this country I'm afraid that bike mirrors are going to be a rarity.

flying haggis":y580izv8 said:
""I did smile when you mentioned about cars going all over the road and the wrong way around roundabouts. The roads are closed via road closing orders (quite a new thing in England, which is good news) so normal traffic rules don't apply.""

well this happened in Norwich during a cycle race and the roads werent closed off but still the support vehicles thought they were gods gift and woe betide anyone who got in there way, some absolutely appalling driving there

Actually the lanes were closed off but something went wrong with the marshalling! Should have been a chap with a pointer, cones etc. etc. A useful learning experience!

MikeG.":2y67ur1w said:
thick_mike":2y67ur1w said:
....... I bought a bar end mirror similar to this:

I have tried those, and other types of mirrors, including helmet mounted mirrors. They all suffer badly from vibrations, albeit those bar-enders were the least affected. The vibrations were so bad that it was impossible to see anything at all in the mirror. Until we get the tarmac sorted out in this country I'm afraid that bike mirrors are going to be a rarity.

I really liked the mirror I got, maybe I just dropped lucky. It’s just sensible being aware of what’s around you. You’re not going to be able to read a number plate in it, but at least you know when you’ve got an artic up your backside.

Yeah, there's a guy at my cycle club who swears by his mirror. Maybe it's just that carbon fibre transmits more vibrations, I dunno. Frankly, just about the first skill you learn after not-falling-off is how to safely look behind you, so although my neck makes this harder and harder it's still the primary way of seeing which nutcase behind you wants to kill you.

flying haggis":1nies0r4 said:

No road closures and poor marshalling by police/organisers but, what were they supposed to do? The roundabout was closed on the other side and the cars did not exactly handbrake at 60 and burn tyres all the way to the correct exit route. I didn't see any appalling driving in your video, all very calm and safe by experienced drivers. Sorry, doesn't really support your earlier comments.
I was at a stage of the Giro a few years ago. Riders approached the roundabout we were standing at, riders went both ways as did the supports vehicles, no big deal, nobody even mentioned it or raised an eyebrow. Watch any major race or any of the classics, I think you'll learn a lot.

MikeG.":13ti67oz said:
Yeah, there's a guy at my cycle club who swears by his mirror. Maybe it's just that carbon fibre transmits more vibrations, I dunno. Frankly, just about the first skill you learn after not-falling-off is how to safely look behind you, so although my neck makes this harder and harder it's still the primary way of seeing which nutcase behind you wants to kill you.

And use your ears* as well. Most cyclists can "feel" a vehicle is nearhand.
EVs are going to be a problem.

I have a bar end mirror. I wouldn't want to be without it. I could probably just about turn my head ti see behind, but I don't when driving a car (except to glance over my shoulder). Vibrations do not seem to beva problem on my old Dawes Countryman being ridden at 12MPH.

Noel":okw0pjbs said:
MikeG.":okw0pjbs said:

I usually cycle on roads where I’m passed by a car every ten minutes or so, single carriageway country backroads. I often can’t hear cars hanging back 20m or so due to wind noise, so the mirror is a godsend. You can see a car 100m or further down the road and act accordingly.

thick_mike":7a2h0mhd said:
Noel":7a2h0mhd said:
MikeG.":7a2h0mhd said:

I usually cycle on roads where I’m passed by a car every ten minutes or so, single carriageway country backroads. I often can’t hear cars hanging back 20m or so due to wind noise, so the mirror is a godsend. You can see a car 100m or further down the road and act accordingly.
Have very occasionally found that a car has been very quietly tailing me for a few 100 yards un-noticed, but not so much that I feel the need for a mirror. Main probs on country lanes around here is finding somewhere where you can pull in, or if going up a long hill do you want to pull in at all, as stopping/starting not easy, impossible if there's a lot of traffic. Driver stuck behind you may not appreciate that you have already stopped and started several times!
A bit like the road-works traffic light timing problem - you go through on green but before you are at the other end its changed; traffic is coming the other way and drivers are getting irritated.

Jacob":1i72owjj said:
Have very occasionally found that a car has been very quietly tailing me for a few 100 yards un-noticed

Wasn't me Jacob, honest :lol: Hope you didn't feel threatened. :wink:

Lons":3depsvdr said:
Jacob":3depsvdr said:
Have very occasionally found that a car has been very quietly tailing me for a few 100 yards un-noticed

Don't suppose so but you do see a lot of doddery old fools driving around in large OAPmobiles!
I'd ban them all!

Jacob":25k99bhe said:
Lons":25k99bhe said:
Jacob":25k99bhe said:

Don't suppose so but you do see a lot of doddery old fools driving around in large OAPmobiles!
I'd ban them all!
Wasn't driving the motorhome around the narrow roads Jacob, parked it on a site near Buxton and used the little car I bought for the purpose as my SUV is too heavy to tow. The little car might be small but has a very loud horn, enough to make a doddery old cyclist soil his lycra. :lol:

You of course would quickly recognise doddery old drivers, takes one to know one. :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 217
Lons":22gh5cd1 said:
Jacob":22gh5cd1 said:
Lons":22gh5cd1 said:
I'd ban them all!
Wasn't driving the motorhome around the narrow roads Jacob, parked it on a site near Buxton and used the little car I bought for the purpose as my SUV is too heavy to tow. The little car might be small but has a very loud horn, enough to make a doddery old cyclist soil his lycra. :lol:

You of course would quickly recognise doddery old drivers, takes one to know one. :wink:
That picture struck me as a bit odd.
Thinking about it - wouldn't it make more sense to have them the other way around with the car towing the van?
You wouldn't need an engine in the van so it would be cheaper, lighter and much more logical.
Could call it a Car-a-van or something. Just a thought. Surprised nobody's thought of it before. 8-[

Nope been there, done that, not as simple as you seem to think, many advantages and disadvantages comparing caravans and motorhomes.
e.g. don't always need to take the car so say we have a few days near Edinburgh, York or many other places can park up and use bus to get into the city, also much quicker to set up on site and pack away so can move much easier to different areas and because it's set up ready to go at home we can decide to go away at an hours notice and also tend to use it more in the colder months.

A caravan with similar space and facilities is heavy and needs a sizeable towcar so when towing my previous twin wheel with my GLC I got less mpg than I do towing a citi car with the motorhome and then travelling around the area in the car use twice as much fuel. With the motorhome and a high driving position the journey is also more relaxing and the little car on the back is so insignificant I fitted an extra rear camera for peace of mind. You do need a C1 licence if over 3500kg of course.
so it would be cheaper, lighter and much more logical.
Can be but often isn't. In this case because it is a quality vehicle is was expensive but the combined cost of my car and previous caravan was actually more not including the extras I needed for the van.
I do still have the car of course but wouldn't have bought one as powerful, heavy and maybe not 4wd.
You pays your money and takes your choice, pros and cons with both and down to circumstances and very much personal preference.

I'm assuming, please correct me if not the case, that you have little or no personal experience when it comes to touring caravans or motorhomes so I'll take your comment at face value.

PS
In case you might think I'm telling porkies ( as if you would :wink: ) here is a pic of my van in 2018 in Galloway.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 168
My brother has recently joined the caravan w**ker club. He's only 35. So sad :( ... :roll: :lol: :p

On the plus side, you can "drive" it by remote control, .... albeit verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. Something to do with correcting it when you park up.

Latest posts

Back