Replacing newell post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCamo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Dear all

In this type of staircase is the stringer resting on the newell? If so how do I remove the newell as I want to replace it with a thicker one. Never done this before

Regards

Jon

Attachments

• 20230923_125424.jpg
    20230923_125424.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 16954710947331604095728289849648.jpg
    16954710947331604095728289849648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
strings, and handrail, tenoned in and usually dowelled. Am i right in thinking you want to take the whole post out! Big job, bullnose step and risers will be housed in a rebate and landing will have to come out.

Remove the vertical flap that the logs are touching and peer at it from underneath. You will learn a lot about its construction. Strip the newell post back to bare wood. You will learn a lot about its construction.

As above, mortice in the newell, horizontal tenon on the stringer. Dowelled joint is usual. You can drill the dowels out if you find them by stripping the paint.

Deconstruction of the entire landing may not be necessary if it is individual floorboards. Only the first board needs to come off. You will very likely need to remove the first riser of the main flight going up. If it is traditional construction, you need access from underneath to release the glue blocks and riser wedges.

A.T.Carpentry on Instagram have lots of good videos showing newell replacement, including shortening the stringer to fit bullnose steps etc.

Remove the vertical flap that the logs are touching and peer at it from underneath. You will learn a lot about its construction. Strip the newell post back to bare wood. You will learn a lot about its construction.

As above, mortice in the newell, horizontal tenon on the stringer. Dowelled joint is usual. You can drill the dowels out if you find them by stripping the paint.

Deconstruction of the entire landing may not be necessary if it is individual floorboards. Only the first board needs to come off. You will very likely need to remove the first riser of the main flight going up. If it is traditional construction, you need access from underneath to release the glue blocks and riser wedges.
🤣
Or in other words, carefully dismantle the whole staircase and take it to the workshop. Re-design and prepare it for a rebuild in situ.

Hi

As you all have said I have found the dowels for the stringers tenon. Have had a good look around and underneath and it looks like the outer stringer and its tenon only receive vertical support from the newel. Therefore do I need to prop up the outer stringer to remove the newel??

Regards

Jon

Attachments

• 20230927_143841.jpg
    20230927_143841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
handrail will be dowelled too,, Worked on sites where newel post was in screed and even under fllorboards fixed to side of joist, you will need to explore more around the bottom as that may hinder removal of post. The bullnose step should be easily removed if you can get to the inside! work on removal of landing still to be done. Looks like the end of a joist can be seen, that may hinder things!

Last edited:
Therefore do I need to prop up the outer stringer to remove the newel?

It will not hurt anything if you do so and may sag a little if you do not, so probably a good idea.

You could propably prob under the second or third tread of the main flight as that will be a little easier than trying to attach something to the sloping underside or visible side of the stringer.

handrail will be dowelled too,, Worked on sites where newel post was in screed, you will need to explore more around the bottom as that may hinder removal of post. The bullnose step should be easily removed if you can get to the inside! work on removal of landing still to be done. Looks like the end of a joist can be seen, that may hinder things!
Thanks. Might be a longer job than planned 😃

Hi

As you all have said I have found the dowels for the stringers tenon. Have had a good look around and underneath and it looks like the outer stringer and its tenon only receive vertical support from the newel. Therefore do I need to prop up the outer stringer to remove the newel??

Regards

Jon
That landing trimmer is very likely fixed to the newel also in two places, 1st where we can see in the photo and 2nd parallel to the number 3 riser will be a trimmer under the flooring also fixed to the newel, id be looking at cladding that post as an option before removing it??

Back