Repair split glue joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a similar restoration of a couple of Ercol single chairs just a few weeks ago. I was faced with a similar split along a glue line. In my case the split did not go through to the underside and the seat felt basically sound. My solution was to fill the split with a very liquid epoxy. I needed to dam the end with bluetack to stop the epoxy running out.
I think it would be a mistake to attempt to clamp it tight. Any gluing is going to be imperfect and clamping will just reintroduce stresses which will cause the glue to fail again in the future.
Brian

Sounds like a good plan of action, may just want to see if you can get a knife in the joint to remove any old glue, adding some earth pigments to the glue may help it blend in or pencil brush some colour over the glue line in the refinishing process.

I am amazed the Elm hasn't moved even more in those conditions, Ercol where always famed for taming Elm.

Cheers

Peter

Latest posts

Back