Hello from a West Midlands Lass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirenity

Established Member
Reaction score
Well hello,
I've been a member for a while, but I'm such a total newbie, that I've not posted much at all, just been looking and learning, until today and the EV threads, so having jumped in all over a thread, I thought it was about time I introduce myself.

I'm a life long lover of all things maker, but with the exception of stereotypically "women's" needlework, knitting etc. possess very little skill other than basic DIY which I've been responsible for my whole life.

I've acquired basic tools over the years (starting with self-bought mothers day presents when my lovely but distracted ex constantly forgot that his children had a mother as well as he did, so I went out and bought myself a power-tool every year until my kids were old enough to start making me things). But I never had a space to set up a workshop.

Fast-forward to lockdown and an enforced early retirement due to a spinal cord injury and I've rented a neighbours workshop garage, when her husband passed away. I've a few of his tools, a space for mine and a newly found love of finding "treasure" in the form of renovation projects and vintage tools.

I was most excited by the acquisition of a pillar drill - something I've always wanted and never had room for and a £10 tip shop rescue of a arts and crafts book case/bureau that will be my first "last thing I made" posting when I have learned enough to tackle it's repair.

Anyone nearby who wants a hand with any projects in return for me looking and learning, I'd be more than happy to spend an exchange day!

If anyone wants to pop over and advise on workshop set-up/laugh at the current chaos, you would be very welcome.

Well done taking the hardest step, your first post as a newbie. Hopefully the first of many. I'm sure most will enjoy reading your updates as you progress and learn new skills and achieve ever better results

Hello hello from wolverhampton - lockdowns and health issues have caused me to take a career change but I think woodworking has always been in my blood . I’m not far from you so any help or advice just shout . Most of what I do is self taught but it’s good to get help and advice once you step out of your comfort zone which is why I joined .😊😊

Well hello,
I've been a member for a while, but I'm such a total newbie, that I've not posted much at all, just been looking and learning, until today and the EV threads, so having jumped in all over a thread, I thought it was about time I introduce myself.

I'm a life long lover of all things maker, but with the exception of stereotypically "women's" needlework, knitting etc. possess very little skill other than basic DIY which I've been responsible for my whole life.

I've acquired basic tools over the years (starting with self-bought mothers day presents when my lovely but distracted ex constantly forgot that his children had a mother as well as he did, so I went out and bought myself a power-tool every year until my kids were old enough to start making me things). But I never had a space to set up a workshop.

Fast-forward to lockdown and an enforced early retirement due to a spinal cord injury and I've rented a neighbours workshop garage, when her husband passed away. I've a few of his tools, a space for mine and a newly found love of finding "treasure" in the form of renovation projects and vintage tools.

I was most excited by the acquisition of a pillar drill - something I've always wanted and never had room for and a £10 tip shop rescue of a arts and crafts book case/bureau that will be my first "last thing I made" posting when I have learned enough to tackle it's repair.

Anyone nearby who wants a hand with any projects in return for me looking and learning, I'd be more than happy to spend an exchange day!

If anyone wants to pop over and advise on workshop set-up/laugh at the current chaos, you would be very welcome.
Welcome, nice to hear from you. Have a Great Day.

Welcome Sirenity. Loads of good people here, most of whom will happily help you with whatever you ask. As Droogs has said above, you've taken a first step. Second is to be prepared to ask Q's (no such thing as a silly Q, just dumb answers). But the chances are that you don't know enough yet to know what you don't know (if you get my drift). So suggestion: start something (doesn't matter what) and each time you come to a "I don't know" or a "How best do I do that?" then jot them down and then post away. You'll definitely get advice (if not always in absolute agreement!) and nobody here will laugh at you.

It's all good fun here.

Well hello,

Welcome Sirenity from a northern lad! but 1960s through 90s lived at Bell Green, Coundon, Berkswell retired home to my wonderful (almost) Lake District. Best Regards....Richard

Back