Removing knobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggy

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO got a second hand pine welsh dresser just after xmas and is going to clean it up, she got some new door handles to replace the old ones. When trying to remove them we found that they are also glued on. What would the best approach be for getting them off without damaging the doors and drawers?

Chris,

I have one of these, which are great at cutting things flush as the teeth have no set.

41QdnQ4frlL__SL250_.jpg

Axminster & Tilgear do them.

Paul

Chris,
I think one of the flush cutting saws that Paul has,
is probably the only way you are going to do it without damage.

John. B

They are usually like bottle tops, a bit of gusto and a twist quite often is enough to do the job.

Failing that gentle heat from the inside of the drawer with a hot air gun will almost certainly do it unless cascamite has been used (unlikely).

I think more info is needed. What are you trying to achieve, will the new handles cover the place the old knobs resided? If you flush cut the knobs off then you'll essentially be left with a plug, but the grain direction is unlikely to be correct. In which case I wonder if drilling out and plugging properly is the way to go?

Rather than try to saw them flush, I would saw them off with about an 1/8" sticking out then plane them flush with a very sharp, finely set plane. Done carefully, you should be able to get them flush without damaging the surrounding wood.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the replies I have passed on your suggestion as she wants to do it herself so we shall see what happens during the week while I am at work

It's Mrs Raggy here and I've tried the heat and moisture thing and they still don't wanna come off. Thanks for all your help will have to pass the job to hubby. :D

If theyre beech knobs with a steel screw in them when theyre wound on tightly they leave a round ring on the wood when theyre taken off.
If they have been glued on the face they might not be so easy removing without causing some damage,
Taking the doors off and sanding the surrounds after giving the knobs some wellie may be the only way, Same for the drawers, You can get a colour match maybe to restain? Unless as wizer says will the new handles cover, 43mm Knobs on drawers and 25mm on doors is probably more than your posh new metal handles?

Paul Chapman":5tyhd35w said:
Rather than try to saw them flush, I would saw them off with about an 1/8" sticking out then plane them flush with a very sharp, finely set plane. Done carefully, you should be able to get them flush without damaging the surrounding wood.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I think I would do it this way too. Take the doors of first though eh? :wink:

Back