Record power Sm100 moulder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armagh

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day gentleman. Does anyone happen to have experience of Record power's sm100 spindle moulder?

I'm a hobby user, it would certainly not be used daily. I'd intend to use it to cut something similar to kitchen cornice mouldings. I don't want to spend the money and end up with an underpowered hobby machine when a little extra might buy an industrial machine like an old Wadkin. Thanks in advance.

At just 150 kilo it is a lightweight machine.
I have no experoence of it whatsoever but I have quite a bit of experience of a similar sized spindle moulder.

To me the Record looks like a much lighter built equivalent to the spindle moulder on my Stenberg combination machine which I used when making doors and windows part time for a couple of years. It was good enough for a wide variety of work but pretty quickly it started feeling on the small side. I wanted more power to be able to run wide mouldings or deep rebates with a feeder at a reasonable feed speed. I also found it difficult to hand feed heavier pieces because they short table didn't give me enough leverage to hold the rear end of the board down unless I had a roller stand in exactly the ultimate position which was hard to find.
Hence I recently upgraded to a late 1960-ies SCM l'Invincibile T160. It is indeed a monster and will hopefully it will be big enough.

So....my conclusion is that the Record may be qite sufficient for many sorts of smaller jobs but if you are going to make any greater amounts of wide cornice mouldings you may end up wishing it was bigger and more powerful and heavier.

I bought it today. I'm very much a novice, so I'll start off small and upgrade if necessary. Thanks for the input.

Back