Axminster or record power P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried to find a machine with the Tersa system but the cheapest is the SCM FS30G and at £3374.40 is just not an option, that and I really hate the way the tables lift.

I can't help with the price of the FS30G, but only the planer outfeed table lifts when using the thicknesser. The planer infeed table remains in place. On the more expensive FS30C, both planer tables lift when using the thicknesser.

I can't help with the price of the FS30G, but only the planer outfeed table lifts when using the thicknesser. The planer infeed table remains in place. On the more expensive FS30C, both planer tables lift when using the thicknesser.

It must be the FS30C I've seen photos of with the tables up, thanks Mike.

So I'm looking to purchase a new P/T in the new year, I've managed with my ancient Kitty 636 and a Dewalt DW733 for long enough. I need to make some new windows for the workshop and the sill will need to be 2.4m ish and the kitty's tables are just not long enough, and it's super loud along with the Dewalt, I don't have a huge workshop (24'x12') so a 12" combination machine is my preference. I want parallel lift tables as this seems to be more accurate and speeds up the switch from one mode to the other. I've narrowed it down to two machines, the Axminster AP310SPT and the Record Power PT310, the record seems to be the exact same as the now discontinued Startrite SD31.
I've read a lot of people have issues with the carbide inserts on the spiral machines and at £800 more than the record power, is it really worth the extra? I don't really use highly figured woods (at the moment) but I do live in a residential area so sound is an issue but not a massive one. There seems to be very few reviews online for either machine and trying them in person is not an option at the moment (the axminster is out of stock and there isn't a record power dealer round me for miles and miles).

Has anyone used either machine or convince me that the extra £800 is really worth it? :D

Thanks
Matt
Have the Axi spiral cutter for my home shop, was a bit fiddly to set up originally but is a very good and much quieter machine than any knife block I have used. For long stock I just use a couple of roller stands and hasn't let me down yet. Did have the hammer A3 knife and imho the finish is much better and noise level is significantly less. My extracter makes more noise than the P.T. Not used the record so I can not comment.
Having said all that I do have access to the A3 31 spiral which I think is a better machine than the Axi but obviously more expensive.

I had a sedgwick pt before the axminster and would never swap back. noisy and crude it was. but it had a solid fence(very small though) I much prefer the full length taller style. it would take a decent bit of material off as well. but it's dust extraction was poor and the din was deafening. much prefer the axis over that ( sorry!)

I had one of the trade rated axis for a few years, it was okay but needed constant adjustment and the bearings for the cutter block just fell apart after 3 years.

I now have a Sedgwick MB and yes I agree it's a bit crude regarding dust extraction etc but the build quality is so much better, everything about it just feels rock solid.

I have never used or seen the Axminster AP310SPT in person so can't comment on that, it might be great I don't know but I do get the impression the Axminster machines can be a bit hit and miss, you might get lucky, you might not.

Axminster seem to change some of their machine models on a regular basis, in a couple of years the AP310SPT might be replaced by a totally different machine which doesn't sit well with me. The proper machinery manufacturers like Sedgwick, SCM etc don't keep brining out new models all the time so I think you will have more chance of getting replacement parts for them say 7 years down the line.

If you don't want an old fashioned machine like a Sedgwick then as suggested by others look at SCM or Hammer.

oh that conversion hasn't really annoyed me to much tbh.just the drop to 150mm on the thicknesser is a pain. I reckon the axis a copy of the hammer. I'm going to look at a wadkin bgt16 planer in the new year. I was nearly tempted by a jet 8 inch jointer( £500) but he wouldn't budge on price( it was a green one so pretty old but probably diy only use.

how do people rate the 12 inch scm planers. my spindle is really nice. smoth and precise.
I always guessed the hammers were Taiwanese machines.

If you don't want an old fashioned machine
I would put many factors before fashion, the big one is cast iron over sheet metal. Having seen the old machines in a local woodmill that are thirty plus years old and still working full time I doubt many asian clones can even come close. As @Doug71 says the old machines are rock solid albeit crude in some peoples eyes but most importantly deliver without constant fettling.

it's not just fashion. for instance old planer thicknessers always have short tables. they never have tersa or spiral heads. these things make it difficult to straighten longer stock or make quick knife swaps.

how do people rate the 12 inch scm planers. my spindle is really nice. smoth and precise.
I always guessed the hammers were Taiwanese machines.

My points of practical reference are the 300mm SCM FS 30G (3-knife Tersa) and the 260mm Holzmann HOB 260NL (3-knife standard). In my opinion, the comparison is similar to a Porsche 911 and a Trabant.

The HOB 260NL required alignment of the planing tables after every second or third use. I never achieved good results with the thicknessing table because it wobbled randomly when being raised or lowered and was rarely parallel to the cutter block. It was common to have a 1mm difference in thickness on a 200mm wide board, but was less common to have the same 1mm difference on two sequential passes. Sometimes the error was more than 1mm and varied from side to side.

By contrast, I have not needed to make any changes to the alignment of the planer or thicknesser tables on the FS 30G. I have processed more beech, oak, and cherry through the FS 30G than I have with the HOB 260NL.

I regret not buying the FS 30G earlier. I would have bought the FS 30C, but it has longer planer tables and would not fit down my stairs without removing the tables. However, the shorter planer tables on the FS 30G have not been an issue yet.

With the exception of the newest small Hammer bandsaw, I am confident all of the Hammer machines are manufactured in Austria. When I was interested in buying the Hammer K3, the salesman told me I had to arrange for shipment from the factory in Austria to my house in Germany after the saw was built.

I have the Record Power PT310. It's a good solid machine. I had a slight issue with the fence being out of square and to save ordering a new part, I drilled out the adjustment slots and all is fine now. Change over takes less than a minute. Will cope with 8' length fine. I don't have the wheel kit fort as I don't need to move it. Although I don't have it bolted down it stays put.
I cant comment on spiral heads etc. I have the factory block in it and am still on the original cutters. (beginning to get dull now).

Anything you'd like to know about the machine @undergroundhunter , welcome to pm me.

Just an update on this thread, I have decided to go with neither of these machines and plumped for a charnwood PT12S, it should arrive on Saturday, I will update with my first impressions.

Matt

Just an update on this thread, I have decided to go with neither of these machines and plumped for a charnwood PT12S, it should arrive on Saturday, I will update with my first impressions.

Matt
I have a similar decision to make and all of the PTs mentioned here are in my spreadsheet of options, including the Charnwood. How did you get on with it?

I have a similar decision to make and all of the PTs mentioned here are in my spreadsheet of options, including the Charnwood. How did you get on with it?
I ended up with a charnwood spiral pt12s. I fully set it up and have used it for a couple of smaller jobs so far it's great, feels like a quality machine.

Back