Record BS350 bandsaw: dust collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardC

Reaction score
I'd welcome comments/suggestions from forum members on how to improve dust collection for this bandsaw. The saw is only used intermittently and to date I have resorted to cleaning it using a combination of compressed air and a shop vac after each session. But this is far from satisfactory and I am particularly concerned about dust build up in the lower bandwheel cabinet. The 100mm extractor port is, for reasons I can't understand, virtually blanked off rendering it almost useless. Has anyone resolved this issue and if so, how.

I use a dustpan and brush, not really what you wanted to hear I don't think but the only solution Ive found so far. The dust port is as you say completely useless. The only alternative I can think of would be to stop the dust port aperture down in the hope that that lends some extra suction power. Otherwise as I say its dustpan, brush and fingers / long dowels to get into the crevices.

Cheers Mike

Hi Richard

What power is your extractor?

I use an Axminster cheapo( but it is 2HP). There is virtually no dust in the lower wheel compartment.

Cheers
Tim

No matter how bad your dust extraction I can't imagine a worse thing to do than use compressed air to blast stuff back out into the atmoshpere where it can be breathed in. Just get the vac in there periodically and clear away the stuff that has settled, and use a mask when cutting.
I suspect your extraction problem is due to the type of machine you're using. Many machines, my Axminster 4300 included, seem to work better with vacuum type extractors as opposed to the HVLP bagged type.

Many thanks for the responses. I have to confess my extraction system comprises a B&Q shop vac rated at 1400 wats with a 32 mm outlet!! I have tended to let dust build up then vaccuum out and remove dust in tight corners etc by using compressed air.

My concerns are as follows. First dust build up around the lower guide system affecting the operation of the guide and thrust bearings. I had considered attaching the shop vac outlet on the side of the casing adjacent to the guide system to extract dust as it collected. If I have a concern it is that these vacs only work if placed very close to the material to be removed.

Second, the lower cabinet has a 100mm extractor port which is covered by a plate, welded to the inside of the case, that effectively blocks of 80% of the extractor port although there is a small gap around the edge. This seems pointless and I can only presume it is to stop people putting their hands/fingers into the path of a moving blade! Without extraction, dust builds up in the lower cabinet and around all the moveable parts including the wheels and motor shaft. I had considered buying a 100/32 mm hose reducer and attaching this to the extraction port and the shop vac hose but I am not confident that the extraction opening plus extraction power of the shop vac would be effective.

An earlier post had suggested the possibility of removing the blanking plate over the 100mm port and I wondered if anyone had done that and whether it had proved effective. Also whether anyone had removed the plate, attached the port to a 100/32 reducer connected to a shop vac.

Any comments/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree with your thought on the "safety" element of this poor design; it probably is to prevent simple-minded people from sticking their fingers in there! It's a common design in pretty much all bandsaw and a very poor one at that too.

The biggest problem, for me, is the lack extraction around the lower blade guides, where loads of sawdust seems to build up - this is something that affects all but the very top-of-the-range bandsaw; thinking of machines that have a minimum cutting depth of 300mm.

I do think you would benefit from having a larger extractor (I have had success with a twin-bag High Volume Low Pressure extractor, plus it's quiet-running). But vacuum-types do seem to be more efficient with extra fine MDF dust.

If you did get an extractor with a 100mm hose, perhaps you could try connecting that up to the lower outlet and then rigging something of your own (using Rare Earth Magnets?) to collect from just below the table?

A 32mm hose is too small for a bandsaw IMHO. There is nothing wrong with the oulet design ,your extractor is not up to the task. You could fix some 6mm mesh gauze instead of the flap, but it won't help you because of your shop vac! If you think about it, the sawdust and chips are flying around inside the saw housing which is a fair sized volume and therefore requires a large airflow with a good "suck" (Is static pressure the technical term?) to remove them.
If you can spare the cash buy a chip collector, otherwise stop the saw and hoover it out with your shop vac now and then. I suppose it depends how much you use the saw, only you know how inconvenient you find it!

Dust does collect around the lower blade guides on my bs350, I periodically use my shop vac to clear that - no biggie
Hope this helps!
Tim

Hello richard - try this:
type "wis24" into google
buy some plastic or alu pipe to suit your vac hose
buy a holesaw to suit the pipe dia.
buy some araldite/epoxy
block up the original useless dust port
make a port under the table which uses the airflow from the blade movement to get the dust away, I did this on the front door of a similar bandsaw and it works very well - good luck
p.s don't buy a chip blower, save up for a m-class vacuum
Matt

while not being the BS350,my BS300 seems not to suffer at all with any kind of dust buildup, its connected to 4in outlet via a rubber collar into a 40mm flexy pipe (short run) to a 2 1/2 " extraction system around the workshop to a RDES2 the other side of the shop (10`x8`) but never has a great deal of dust left in the lower half of the saw......
is not the plate in the outlet a baffle to create more pressure/suction within the system and not to stop dumb folk sticking their fingers in there, although I suppose its a good selling point :lol: :lol: safety wise

NeilO":20e6m23d said:
is not the plate in the outlet a baffle to create more pressure/suction within the system and not to stop dumb folk sticking their fingers in there, ...

I too think it is an attempt to increase the velocity of the air at this point to aid 'grabbing' the particles in the first place, my SIP machine has similar inlet throttle biased towards the base of the cabinet and attached to a cheap high volume (100mm) chip extractor leaves very little debris in the lower compartment.

The table, the area under the table, and adjacent to the lower support bearings always need attention with the shop vac of course, as do top and bottom cabinets after a prolonged use spell just to remove any clinging debris especially when working resinous or green wood.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my initial post. You have confirmed what I suspected all along, namely I need to get a better dust extractor and hook it up to the 100mm port. The possibility that the blanking plate/baffle might be a design feature aimed at improving extraction had not crossed my mind. As far as the lower guide system is concerned, I will continue to use the shop vac and compressed air - I do use a Trend Air Shield!! I have not got the confidence to drill a hole in the lower cabinet/door in an attempt to imitate higher spec bandsaws!!

Regards Richard

Richard,

I'm sure you've already seen the light. I have the same saw and tend to use a 1kW extractor from Axmonster (WV1000?). If I use the extractor then extraction is excellent, although there still tends to be a fair accumulation around the lower guides. Without extraction I find that the lower wheel cabinet gets very full rather quickly.

I'm sure an extractor with a bit more capacity would resolve your issues.

Cheers,

Dod

Latest posts

Back