record bobbin sander first thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I bought the record BBS1 bench top sander week before last. Got a reasonable deal from yandles compared to list price. I Had to dismantle it to ship it back with me.
Put it together yesterday.
Moan number 1, there are four rubber feet that have to be bolted onto the box. One of the holes was not drilled through, just mangled by a broken drill I suspect. No problem for my tool kit, but I shouldnt have to do that.

Moan number 2, the cast iron table is discoloured on one side. This is the third woodworking tool i have bought with a cast iron bed, and they have ALL had discolouration marks from poor protection.

Strangely, there isnt a moan number 3 yet.
The motor and gear box are old fashioned engineering, over 15 kgs of iron. thumbs up for that.
It runs very quietly too.

I had to cut the wiring out as I didnt have enough tools with me to do a nice job, but it all went back fine with no weirdness.

There might be a moan number three, about how awkward it is to tighten the bobbin on, but I wont get any serious useage in untill all my family go home at the end of august. Maybe an easier way will occur to me after some practice.

Two spanners provided, of a better than usual quality, but I think I might need a swan neck to do up the spindle.
looks good overall, just spoilt by the usual rubbish quality control that I really think we shouldnt have to endure.

Its not that loud, the sanding operation is louder than the motor, I doubt its an induction motor at that price, but I have no idea, certainly there is not an external start up capacitor.

Mike

Moan number three..... The plastic bobbin holder... doesnt even fit the bobbins supplied.

Why cant manufacturers actually workshop test the stuff after the bean counters have pared away all quality?
Hope it performs a lot better than the pre flight checks.

Back