Receiving parcel from outside EU with DHL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodworkingMK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I need to get something (a tool) from China, that is worth around £40 and DHL shipping around £15. Will I need to pay additional taxes to DHL? Will this be charged with VAT? If yes, how the payment goes, can I pay online?

Thanks.

Your details show you are not in the UK?
Every country has different import duties for goods. Your local customs office can tell you what taxes you will need to pay, but DHL will not deliver untill you have paid all fees.
In the UK you are allowed anything under £35 import free, but I have no idea what the rules are in macedonia.

Thank you.

In case that they retain the parcel and receive note, can you pay the custom fees or VAT online?

My own experience of importing from China a machine with a cost of £2865 was that FEDEX calculated the import tax and the VAT due and charged me this plus a UK delivery fee. I paid FEDEX online.

Contact DHL and ask how they handle these issues. Either they do as FEDEX do and collect all of the charges or they will hold the machine until you pay them. I would expect DHL to be responsible for collection of all charges and to issue you with a full VAT receipt and an import tax receipt.

I would expect DHL to allow online payment or payment by credit card.

woodworkingMK":2c9hgozp said:
Hello, I need to get something (a tool) from China, that is worth around £40 and DHL shipping around £15. Will I need to pay additional taxes to DHL? Will this be charged with VAT? If yes, how the payment goes, can I pay online?

Thanks.

They are gonna CHARGE you like a ********* for any customs work, ask me how I know.

In the past I could get around it by handling the paperwork myself and they'd send it on. But no more, once you have done the work they won't release your packag until you pay a "self-handing fee", frankly given the cost of this fee which was 25 euros or something for me, + the customs fees, it probably costs more doing it that way than letting them do it. This was for a 130-150 euro package.

It's just one more reason for me to only buy inside the EU, or refuse shippers like DHL. I prefer USPS or british royal mail etc. Even bloody china mail which can take months and make you forget you bought it, well it eventually arrives and no extra fees aside from what the customs might want.

Quick feedback, I received the package (it took only three days from China), and didn't pay anything additionally. So I am happy with that. :)

well done. You just scraped into the zone between an allowable gift value, and not expensive enough to warrant charging duty on.
Be warned though if youre thinking of ordering stuff more expensive next time.
About 10 years ago I was buying lots of packages from the states, and I had to work on adding 50% to the american selling price before it got to my door.

I had one package delivered here in Cyprus from america... never again. They charged me 20% of the shipping fee, as well as 19% of everything else.

My daughter bought a $30 phone case from USA and Royal Mail charged £18.00 for duty and handling fee. I have just ordered a book on a memory stick from USA and wonder how much I am going to get stung for.

Latest posts

Back