Reading handwriting.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Can any of you make out what is written in this picture please?
I have some thoughts, one being that the bottom script is a towns name.
I'll leave that out for now so as not to skew the reading.
Cheers Andy
IMG_20201220_183044.jpg

Last name might be Trinkley, that search engine lists an artist called Karla Trinkley, maybe Joseph W is a relative?

Certainly Joseph something. I can't offer much more, but my expectation is Joseph something, and the third word is separate. Could be a place, a title of the picture etc. On the second word, it looks like the artist has signed his name and finished. If it was a middle name, or a double barrelled name I think it would have been on one line and wouldn't have the squiggle at the end, mid sentence as it were.

Does the picture itself offer any clues as to a place, subject etc?

The middle name has me foxed. I think Waf but the last letter(s) have me beat - most likely an n r or ri, so Wafn, Wafr, or Wafri

Last edited:
Joseph Wahz, Hinckley. Not sure on the surname though

Looking closer at the place I'd go for Wahey as the surname

Thanks for the input folks.
Tris may (as I'm thinking) have the location of Hinckley right, as that was the location of the demolition and salvage yard I got this 42"x18" photo from.
It could likely be a burnt out hosiery factory as, seated, front, left to right, 5&6 look like they're holding a stocking ?
Cheers Andy
IMG_20201229_214431.jpg

Last edited:
Really can't see how a single vertical crossed by a single horizontal can be anything other than a T

Ooh, that sounded cross on a re-read, apologies, I'm not saying that crossly, just confuddled

Last edited:
If you look at the "h" in Joseph, it is not quite the same as what could be taken for an h in the second word. Note that the second one has a loop at the base of the stem which is not present in the first and third words. There's a chance that its an "l", so that would give "Wal" but what is the final bit? "ry" perhaps?

A quick google has Walry being a surname which occurs in Belgium and Luxembourg, so it's probably not that if you are in the area of Hinckley.

Really can't see how a single vertical crossed by a single horizontal can be anything other than a T

Ooh, that sounded cross on a re-read, apologies, I'm not saying that crossly, just confuddled
I read it as a T, however, on closer inspection, there is a small vertical line to the left of the main vertical stroke, which has no other reason for being there. As the location can be indentified as Hinckley, I think that is a fair assumption

Cursive f has a forward loop above the line and a backward loop below the line, third letter in the mid word has a backward lower loop, so most likely an f.
Last word has a capital, then a letter starting with a riser to the top of the letter, third letter is an i, see where the dot is?

I found a website listing all the professional photographers in the UK from 1840 to 1940 and there are two listings for Joseph Wake (maybe father and son- supposition on my part) but no dates or location . Dunno if its any help.

Back