Reading handwriting.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely Hinkley - Bennet Brothers Factory. Hosiery manufacturer.
Destroyed by fire in 1921

Hinkley History
Many thanks Glitch for your information.
Amazing, I had searched all manner of phrases to do with HINCKLEY hosiery factory fires and failed....
Perhaps I need more patience or a better search facility, whatever happened to "cached"? results.

I had it in my head that the writing was the name of the factory....

I used to cycle past this rebuilt/re-roofed factory every day on my way to school.
As it happens I worked on recladding the roof of the other Bennett's factory on Rugby road in the late 80`s.
When the local museum opens again I'll be popping in with this.
Cheers Andy

I was just about to say that it might simply be a local photographer and so have very limited chance of cropping up somewhere online.

Does this help - I've processed the image to enhance the text

Writing.jpg

I was just about to say that it might simply be a local photographer and so have very limited chance of cropping up somewhere online.

There are historical searchable, online business directories for Leicester. Problem is I can't find one later than 1909. It lists several photographers but not Joseph W.......
Leicester directories 1900-1909

Need to run it past the local historical societies.

The 1921 census should have him in there. Problem with that is FindMyPast haven't completed digitising it yet.
Plus it makes it a lot easier if we have the surname!

No progress on the name but here's a newspaper extract to add a bit more context to the photograph.

HINCKLEY CALAMITY.
GREAT HOSIERY WORKS BURNT OUT. THRILLING ESCAPES ON STATION PLATFORM.
The extensive hosiery manufacturing works Messrs. Bennett Brothers, adjoining Hinckley station, were totally destroyed ' in a fire which occurred this morning, the damage of which is estimated at over £100,000. Within a comparatively short apace time the buildings, which have taken over years to build, were ablaze, and notwithstanding the combined efforts of the Hinckley, Nuneaton and Leicester fire brigades, the whole works, containing £40,000 worth of machinery, thousands of dozens of finished hosiery, and tons of yarn, were utterly destroyed. The flames lit up Hinckley, and many of the inhabitants the town turned out to render what he p they could. The fire was observed some 15 miles away. Between 300 and 400 employees are thrown out of employment. When the fire was at its height the stationmaster's house was in danger of becoming involved, and the brigades found it necessary to pump on to the walls to save the building. few yards away a huge wall crashed on to the railway platform, buildings, and permanent way, bringing down tons of brickwork and masonry, and temporarily blocking the line. Many people on the platform the time had exceedingly narrow escapes, and several ladies fainted.

Does this help - I've processed the image to enhance the text

View attachment 99684
Joseph Wad**y
Hinckley

The tall letter in the middle of the surname loops backwards at the base, which is unnecessary in a h or l, so is likely to be a d?
The o in Joseph is almost non existent, and the e in Hinckley has either disappeared, or is collapsed and forms part of the y (which then also may be missing its front part), therefore there could be 2 letters between the ‘d’ and the ‘y’, either of which could be a ‘collapsed’ e, a , o, or i or r. Giving:
Wadey, Wadrey, Wadry, Wadoy, Wadroy, etc.

Hinckley times carries a reference to Joseph Watsons Studios at around the end of the first World War, perhaps this could be the photographer?

https://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/past-times-photos-show-real-6280834

Joseph Watson Photographer is in both the 1901 and and the 1911 census. Station Road, Hinckley.

Age 37 in 1911 so likely to be around in 1921 too.

Wife Ellena age 35. They got married 19th June 1900. 🥰

Seems the most likely answer as I cannot find a Joseph with any of the other suggested surnames.

Joseph Watson Photographer is in both the 1901 and and the 1911 census. Station Road, Hinckley.

Age 37 in 1911 so likely to be around in 1921 too.

Wife Ellena age 35. They got married 19th June 1900. 🥰

Seems the most likely answer as I cannot find a Joseph with any of the other suggested surnames.
I've messaged the local history group and awaiting a reply.
There's likely to be more examples of this signature and it'll be nice to verify the identity.

Cheers Andy

Back