Rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter has just got her first house it was actually my grandmothers house well actually a ground floor flat she has 1 flat above her with a lovely couple I have known since I was a boy so it has been getting renovated plasterer skimming all the new walls and ceiling just now. So the gas meter is on the floor in the kitchen and I said to her get it moved to the outside straight through 10" wall and meter box to be fitted so got a price form SGN [Scottish Gas Networks] phoned them up went through the form with the lady and she emailed me the quote for me to do the digging work and fill back in toby key is 18" under the wall where the gas meter is to be fitted , So get quote £704.00 ffs 10" so phoned them and she was not helpful at all I asked for a surveyor to come out and look...he did and said no prob dig pipe to expose should get price down to £300/£ £400 thought I can live with that...but no they stand by the quote and will not budge saying my daughter does not own all the path even though the upstairs neighbour was there at the time and agreed it was no problem for us to dig the 12"X18" HOLE So feel totally stuffed and ripped off that I have no other option but to pay them....Sorry bad day cause of them rant over works out at about £233 per hour with no materials nice work if you can get it.

If your neighbour is accommodating (and it sounds like they are) you could politely ask for the permission in writing, and then if SGN are still stubborn, give them a deadline before writing to a broadsheet newspaper. I've used that threat a few times in the past and it hasn't failed once (all were circumstances where I felt basic common sense wasn't being used).

Social media can be useful. Post a question on their Facebook page asking them for a breakdown of the quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be so lucky. Several years ago we had to move our Electric meter box round the corner, say 1.5m. Quote from the monopoly who do this, £900, please pay now and we will put it in progress. 5 months later!!!!! 2 guys turn up, spend 2 hours do the job (very badly finished as well) ad there we go!! So, the electricity connection company have £900 of our money for 5 month with no interest paid to us, and then 2 men charge approx. £200 per hour (they did use some new cable) for a second rate job. Any come back on the company?

Of course not!!

Rant added!!

they are idiots, remind me of council workers, lazing around, overweight, eating on the job, doing the job slowly but getting paid a fortune, in their white vans listening to radio 1.

You wann find out the price to get a kerb lowered around here. 2-3 hours work spread over 2 weeks, cost with planning permission £3000.

thetyreman":3cn0t7q8 said:
they are idiots, remind me of council workers, lazing around, overweight, eating on the job, doing the job slowly but getting paid a fortune, in their white vans listening to radio 1.

So you know my, now retired ex council worker, best friend. That is him to a tee.

Back