Random Nails (Identification Help Needed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm699

Established Member
Reaction score
I have about a Gallon of these funny little nails
They are made of metal only a little harder than jelly and the head bit is not frangible
Looking to give them away if they are of use to anyone but that's tricky without knowing what they are.

any ideas gratefully received

Attachments

• Random Nails.jpg
    Random Nails.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 0
They are not nails, they are pop rivets. Measure the shank with a vernier as they come in various sizes.

They're not Pop Rivets...!

They look like a type of Masonry Nail.....That shoulder is fixed and looks like its designed to fix something to the protruding head once its driven into the shoulder......

Edit.
Just re read the original post.....If they are soft, then they are not masonry nails! Masonary nails are really HARD!
Perhaps they are designed to be used in the way I described but with wood...?
Definitely not Pop Rivets though!

To be fair, they do look like rivets but the photo isnt perfect.....
Ive got a feeling ive seen something similar in the past used in a spit gun ( nails ) 🤔

I should add, spit nails would be in a plastic strip, not loose in a bucket and would be hard as, well, nails, not swiss cheese as op said. Maybe a better in focus photo of the head to prove or disprove the rivet theory

Def. not pop rivets, (despite appearances) all in 1 piece,
Thats about the best image i could get. macro lens and then cropped, will try harder

They are roofing nails of some sort - I've seen them before but not used them, nor do I know what they do/why they have the collar . . .

Only thing I've seen like it is a capping or Mickey pin, but that has a moving collar and is hardened.
Could be for hanging some type of roof tiles on?

They are made of metal only a little harder than jelly and the head bit is not frangible
Looking to give them away if they are of use to anyone but that's tricky without knowing what they are.

any ideas gratefully

any ideas gratefully received
They look very much like hilti nails - but if you say they are soft, that throws that theory out of the window

I have come across these also. Initially I thought they were pop rivets but they're not.

I have no idea what are. I just found them lying around and thought... how do they work?

They do look like they're meant to be used with some sort or gun or holder.

Definitely closer to the wood roller and cap something in that line for nail in and then cap off I think- not solder pins, much too big and wrong material.
Many thanks everyone for your replies - onto the second bit....anyone want them?

Is it possible they are for a stud welding gun? Maybe to hold insulation. The round end gets welded on, the insulation spiked over the pointy end and then a clawed retaining cap used.

Even if they are not, it might stimulate someone to think of a use for them with the point upwards rather than with it driven into something.

Back