Can you adapt a fixed base dedicated AUK router to UJK Axminster router lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening All
I am a forum newbie & also a woodworking newbie. I have taken two intense woodwork courses to give me a start. I would be most grateful if anyone can help me with the following;

I would like to purchase a AUK fixed base dedicated router from the woodworkers workshop. It has excellent reviews but was manufactured to fit the U.S. made Incra & JessEm lifts. I have an Axminster UJK lift and it is not compatible without modification.

Looking through the excellent reviews I came across this one. . "Bought this AUK router to replace my Dewalt DW 625e router in my MJK Technology router lift from Axminster tools. I had to design and cut out new clamping rings to hold the new router, but it now fits perfectly".

So it can be done but I do not know how to do this. My woodworking skills are just starting but I have zero knowledge of metal fabrication. I have been told that it would involve some top down fixings in the collar that could then attatch to the JessEm Prestige adaptor plate. So almost an inverted version of a fixed base router.

Of course it would be a long shot if the gentleman who successfully managed to do it was a member of this group. I think that it would be okay to say that his initials are I.P. but due to data protection I don't think that I should say his name. So if anyone else has done this modification then please could you reach out to me. The AUK router seems to be a wonderful bit of kit and I would purchase it instantly if I knew how to do the modification.

Thanks, Laurence

I have to say that I am disappointed that I did not get a single reply to my first group post? I joined the forum by recommendation as I was told that the group had a wide knowledge base.

I searched to see what fixed base routers were available. There are not many and the AUK version seemed to be of the best quality by far. There must be many other woodworkers that have the universal circular sub base adaptor to fix their router to the insert or router elevator lift. They would also like to purchase the AUK router but don't because they don't know how to do the necessary modification of introducing new clamping rings to fit the circular sub base.

If AUK are seeing this thread. Not everyone has Incra & Jessom router lifts. There would be a lot more people interested in purchasing the AUK fixed base router if it would work with other brands of router insert plates or lifts.

Lastly the person who managed to design and successfully make the clamping rings posted his review with his name on the wood workers workshop site. As it is therefore public knowledge I think that it would be okay to mention his name Ian Parr. So if anyone out there could put me in touch with Ian Parr then please send me a P.M.

Sorry to go on about this. Yes it will benefit me but it would also benefit others should they be in the same position as me and also want to purchase the AUK fixed base router but don't know how to do the necessary modification.

Laurence Rudolf

I have to say that I am disappointed that I did not get a single reply to my first group post?
It's not always the case that someone has an instant answer to a question, and yours may fit into that category. Disappointed you may be, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I can't give you an answer because I have no experience of that brand of router. However, I bet Peter Sefton can guide you through his business, Woodworker's Workshop linked here and to their routers here.They sell that brand of router, plus accessories for installing into table tops. You could contact them directly, or you might get lucky and Peter, who visits this forum, will come across this thread and respond. I know he's been busy exhibiting at a woodworking show this weekend and perhaps didn't really have time to really look at forum threads. Slainte.

Hi Laurence

I am the owner of Wood Workers Workshop and the AUK Tools router is one of our products. This is a round bodied router and is not designed to fit onto the UJK lift you have, it also will not safely fit onto the JessEm Prestige lift that we sell. These lifts are designed to have plunge routers fixed onto them using the pre drilled and tapped holes within the routers base., please see the image below.

The AUK is a round bodied router and is held within the router lift in a totally different way using clamping shoes on the outside diameter of the round bodied router, please see my video explaining about these routers and lifts.

We would not recommend trying to fit a round bodied motor to a lift designed for plunge routers, somebody with good engineering skills maybe able to assist but not a job for the faint hearted.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi Peter
Thank you for the reply. I know that the AUK router is your product. I was at the show on Friday and purchased some very nice woodpeckers items from your stand and your wife was most helpful. The man who left the review on your website Ian Parr must have excellent engineering skills as you suggested because he managed to create the clamping rings. I would dearly like to get in touch with him in the hope that he might be able to help me.
Best, Laurence

It's not always the case that someone has an instant answer to a question, and yours may fit into that category. Disappointed you may be, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I can't give you an answer because I have no experience of that brand of router. However, I bet Peter Sefton can guide you through his business, Woodworker's Workshop linked here and to their routers here.They sell that brand of router, plus accessories for installing into table tops. You could contact them directly, or you might get lucky and Peter, who visits this forum, will come across this thread and respond. I know he's been busy exhibiting at a woodworking show this weekend and perhaps didn't really have time to really look at forum threads. Slainte.

Thank you for replying. You were right and Peter Sefton did jump in. He did think that the modification might be achievable by someone with very good skills. I think that as someone has already done it with good results then it must be possible. I have also had a P.M. with suggestions so I can only hope that there is away forward. The AUK router although expensive ticks all the right boxes. Laurence

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I think what you are trying to achieve is like mating a camel with a horse, even if you succeed the outcome is going to be questionable. The AUK motor is clamped round the middle of it's body and the UJK lift is designed to just take a plunge router by fixing its base plate to the lift. If you look at the Jessem / Incra lifts they use substantial clamps and deliver a really great engineered solution, probably very hard to beat. To fit the AUK to your UJK lift is going to need some serious engineering, the cost is going to be more than just buying the correct lift and once you have the lift and AUK motor you cannot get better.

This will then give another issue in that the Incra / Jessem lifts are imperial and the UJK is metric so your table top would also be wrong.

To fit it you need someone with a mill and lathe plus access to a Jessem lift to get all the measurements for the parts and then make fixed columns which fix to your UJK lift but it has to be precision otherwise you could end up with problems. It still sounds like a lot of effort and cost, so the other possible solution might be to sell your existing setup and go down the new route, many of us have over the years done this as we learn from our mistakes and seek better setups. Something else you may end up considering is the Incra positioner, another precision component.

I talk about the dimension of the router in the video and its in the third paragraph within the description (pasted below)

This router is designed specifically for use with router lifts and CNC machines that require a 106mm (4.2") - diameter router. AUKTools fixed base router is not to be used freehand.

I hope this helps, but do not make any special engineered components without checking the dimensions for yourself as this is a description not a design specification.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you for the information on the dimensions Peter. I have just watched the video. I do so want to purchase the AUK fixed base router from you. I have to make sure though that I can get it to work with the UJK router lift. I am making some progress with members of this group.
Best, Laurence

Welcome to the UKW. You are receiving lots of valid and time tested advice regarding the routers and lifts. You are free to disregard this advice and duplicate the expensive path that has been well-worn by many before you.

You have the opportunity to stop now and cut your losses by buying a lift and router motor combination that are designed and proven to work together. If you choose to continue down the path of modifying what you have to make it work and fail, which is the most likely outcome by your own admission of your machining skills, you might be left with components that have no value and can't used or sold. I write from experience.

Well said. Not sure why you're so obsessed with the AUK units.. They're good, sure. But so are many others. Are they the best? not in many peoples opinion... I use an old Festool 2000 in an old Jessem lift (bought from Peter above as it goes). Much preferred it to the AUK unit it replaced. I also have a small site unit with the new Trend T14 unit. It's a great set up for built in trim work vs weght.
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. And font get to stuck up on 'best' ... there is no best..

Well said. Not sure why you're so obsessed with the AUK units.. They're good, sure. But so are many others. Are they the best? not in many peoples opinion... I use an old Festool 2000 in an old Jessem lift (bought from Peter above as it goes). Much preferred it to the AUK unit it replaced. I also have a small site unit with the new Trend T14 unit. It's a great set up for built in trim work vs weght.
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. And font get to stuck up on 'best' ... there is no best..
Hi Matt

Thanks for your input, not sure if you were talking about our AUK or Axminster UJK, sorry they sound so similar. Did you mean you replaced a UJK lift with a JessEm lift for your Festool 2000?

My AUKTools brand name came about as I worked with an Australian like minded woodworker to develop a 230v round bodied router that would work with the premium American router lifts.

So we have Australian United Kingdom Tools (AUKTools) I see the Nato allies have taken our name on board and with their Aukus security pact.

Cheers

Peter

Peter. Love your products .just trying to tell this chap not to try and reinvent the wheel. Use the round AUK unit with the appropriate lift, or use something else with the appropriate lift. Whatever. Many guys have used rhe old Elu /Dewalt 625 for years and achieved amazing results. And thats as nuts and bolts as you can get.

Be happy.

M.

Peter. Love your products .just trying to tell this chap not to try and reinvent the wheel. Use the round AUK unit with the appropriate lift, or use something else with the appropriate lift. Whatever. Many guys have used rhe old Elu /Dewalt 625 for years and achieved amazing results. And thats as nuts and bolts as you can get.

Be happy.

M.
I have a DW 625 in a JessEm Prestige lift with a Muscle Chuck Type 2E, a great combination for a plunge router. The 2E fits the Elu, Dewalt and Trend routers replacing the original collet and give gives just the right extension to make up for the cutter height loss you get with a plunge router.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/musclechuck-quick-change-chuck-type-2e/
Great router, fantastic lift and easy to use collet, whats not to love :)

Cheers

Peter

I bought the Muscle Chuck (tall and stubby) from you not long ago after loosing my xtender. Love them. Use them with my site Router Table with a Trend T14. How people sti use the twin spanners is beyond me. Awesome.

The biggest difference is that the AUK motor is a dedicated table router that is just a motor without all the paraphernalia of a plunge router and is really the nearest a router table gets to being a spindle moulder. Having the router firmly clamped round the middle has to be the better engineered solution rather than hanging a plunge router by its base plate. The question is will the router table morph into some form of spindle ?

Latest posts

Back