Raised Panel router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such cutters have to be used in a router table, and you use them with the router plunged down (well, up, really) to start with so that the collet is sticking out of the bottom of the router. The 50 whatever mm is the maximum that can be retracted into the base of the router for plunge cutting. The 625 will be fine.

I presume the restriction on cutter diameter is the hole size in the router base? I'm not familiar with the DW routers

If so you could make another base for this application with a suitable hole.
Better still would be to mount the router in a table when you are raising panels.
Which ever way you do it, keep the speed, cut and feed down and sneak up on the final size carefully.

Bob

Thanks, I thot that putting it in a router table would be the best way to do it or keep it plunged outside the bottom of the router.
Thanks again

To reiterate what others have said, a cutter of this size MUST be used with the router mounted in a table. Don't even think about going freehand.

Also, the speed needs to be slower. On the DW625, I set the speed control on no 3 for a panel raising cutter of this size.

If you are using a proprietry table or insert, the cutter may be too big for the hole in the table. In this case simply fit the cutter into the router ABOVE the hole and make a false table top out of ply or MDF to bring the top up to the right height.

One other thing; don't try to do the job in one pass. Take 3 or 4 passes removing a small amount of material with each one for a superior finish and for your own safety.

Finally, if you are going to be doing a lot of panel raising, buy a spindle moulder!

Des

The other system I believe is to have the different shape bit that means you have to steer the panel pass the cutter with the workpiece at an upright position.

I've seen that type of cutter in catalogues but have never used one. I'm pretty sure you'd still have to use it in a table, and would worry about being able to exert a constant pressure into the fence while holding the panel exactly vertical. You'd have to make an extra tall fence and have a big featherboard.

All in all I would stick with the conventional panel raising cutter.

Des

Yes they will!! Try looking through back issues of "Thr Router" etc, there was a Dutch bloke wot put together a nifty swivel jig to get round this. I'lll (rashly) volunteer to hunt for it and scan in my copy if no one else can find it.

Back