quiet bench saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently use a Kity 609 I think it is within a workshop enviroment so the noise it makes is irrelevant. However in due course I will be undertaking quite a bit of work from a home workshop based in garden where noise level is very relevent!

Just wondering whether there are any super quiet bench saws out there. I can go down in table and blade size quite a bit and can mount it on anything I choose perhaps to create a dampening effect. So are they all noisy blighters or are some quieter than others?

I think that other than the difference between brush and induction motors, they are much of a muchness. You might be better spending some pennies on insulation, rather than trying to find something that is noticeably quieter.

marcros":n4t5hk3e said:
I think that other than the difference between brush and induction motors, they are much of a muchness. You might be better spending some pennies on insulation, rather than trying to find something that is noticeably quieter.
Agreed.

Most of the noise comes from the blade and teeth rushing through air at 2800 rpm
and then the type of material you are cutting makes a noise
if you take the blade off a saw bench ( one with an induction motor) its near silent in operation

Insulation of your workspace is the only answer

Ian

Some saws are very much noisier than others. You should find the noise emissions listed in the manual for any new machines
The quietest I've used are the european panelsaws with German low noise blades - the loudest is the Dewalt dw745 - a real screamer
It's something that can be dealt with by good design - like dust emissions
Matt

Most table saw noise is highish frequency which might deafening close to but doesn't travel so well. So it's worth doing sound tests from outside, you might be surprised. Keeping doors and windows shut could be a major feature.

My table saw, an old Record with induction motor and fitted with a Freud thin kerf blade, is tolerably quiet. Certainly an order of magnitude quieter than the Dewalt screaming monster it replaced. Of course when actually cutting the noise goes up significantly but when just running the sound doesn't intrude on a normal conversation.

Latest posts

Back