Quick question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got quite a lot of timber I've processed myself, some of it in square some of it on half log. I had started roughing down to round the bigger square stock to help it dry a little quick, better storage and I can see what dia I will get from it. Is there any issue with this ? its not more likely to crack or anything is it ?

When I convert logs depending on the wood I will cut and seal the end grain as soon as possible then as time allows I will either cut on the bandsaw to rounds or large spindle blanks(for hollow forms and vases) and reseal where needed, some I will rough turn to at least 10% larger than the finished size and then seal the outside only. The last bit does however restrict what shape as you have already determined that in the roughing out process.

I cut to blank size first in the first photo and sealed before rough turning second photo and sealed outside only. There was a gap between the two processes

DSCF6381_zpsjwfctgim.jpg

DSCF6434_zpsryadumdj.jpg

Bigbud78":q4qj4j5g said:
.... I had started roughing down to round the bigger square stock to help it dry a little quick, better storage and I can see what dia I will get from it. Is there any issue with this ? its not more likely to crack or anything is it ?

You are at risk of encouraging it to split, the nearer you are to finished size, assuming you are not green turning to form, the bigger the chance any splits will be in usable wood. The slower you can dry it the less risk. The key is steady and balanced drying from all surfaces

Have a read of These notes from the help sticky.

I have stock harvested over three years ago that is still not fully safe to convert into stock blanks.

Latest posts

Back