Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
However the media coverage is inane. Headlines this morning that "all of our hearts are broken" and their is an "outpouring of grief from everyone in the country" is simply nonsensical media frenzy.
The funniest thing yesterday (the radio was on) when the BBC reporter couldn't find a tweet in yhe immediate feed so pulled one out from Modi (the PM of India). As if the BBC of all people don't know that Modi is in the middle of an ethnic cleansing programme and the genocide has been going on for at least 2 years now!

Filthy media I call em. I am sad (in a slightly different way to those that thought of her as the 'nations sweetheart') but not heart broken.

I also totally agree with Phil that maybe the 'controversial topics' would probably have been more appropriate but also undrstand why the OP felt the need to post such a thread. Now the 'heart broken' can look up at Charles in total fondness.

In other news, I was totally heartbroken when Diana died and the circumstances in which it all happened. What an amazing person she was!

Lastly, I come in peace and hopefully won't get ridiculed or banished from this land! Surely we can all agree to disagree and try and get where the other is coming from. It's not as if we're trying to straighten out timber in thw wrong way (that would be me).

Shafiq...

Despite being somewhat neutral towards the monarchy as an institution, I believe that the Queen has consistently behaved with dignity, integrity and decency. She has contributed to the good in society and striven to eliminate the bad.

That her loss is felt more keenly by some than I is understandable, but to do other than (at least) respect their feelings is unnecessary and unpleasant. She was born to privilege but used her position thoughtfully and well. She is to be envied in that she was able to "live" every day until her last.

Having said that, the prospect of wall to wall media coverage for the next week filled with the trite, repetitive and predictable appalls me. After posting this I will be trawling for a cheap, late availability break somewhere foreign, or fitting out the workshop with cooking facilities and a bar.

Despite being somewhat neutral towards the monarchy as an institution, I believe that the Queen has consistently behaved with dignity, integrity and decency. She has contributed to the good in society and striven to eliminate the bad.

That her loss is felt more keenly by some than I is understandable, but to do other than (at least) respect their feelings is unnecessary and unpleasant. She was born to privilege but used her position thoughtfully and well. She is to be envied in that she was able to "live" every day until her last.

Having said that, the prospect of wall to wall media coverage for the next week filled with the trite, repetitive and predictable appalls me. After posting this I will be trawling for a cheap, late availability break somewhere foreign, or fitting out the workshop with cooking facilities and a bar.
In reality it's down to lack of real news on the TV just think how long the Johnny Depp court case went on and how much football we have to put up with on the general news casts.

Last edited:
Perhaps a little levity would help the situation?

Attachments

• charles.jpg
    charles.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm a keen spotter of all things ironic.... sometimes so subtle that it passes without notice.

It has been observed here earlier that the British broadcast media – Radio and TV – is, today at least, largely devoid of anything that is not by, on or about the late monarch.

BBC Radio 4 'Today Programme' is no exception, but I did notice a (probably unintended) irony in a couple of assembled pieces early today.

Around eight o'clock , one observer commented on the Queen’s ancestry...... viz, minor Scottish aristocracy on one side (Bowes-Lyon), and an indirect branch-descent of the continental Stuarts…..

Later the news-round-up included an interview from the 1970s where it was noted that the Queen had an abiding interest in horses and their pedigrees and was intent on improving her stock through selective breeding.

All on the Beeb, however, it's also observed that the last time that the BBC cleared their schedule in this way, that day's viewing figures went through the floor.

If nothing else this shows that no mater what title is given to someone they are just like everyone else, human and like everyone else they have a finite life.

What is more sad is that she did not get to enjoy retirement, no one would have cared if she had got to sixty and said that is it, me and Philip are now going to enjoy ourselves at Balmoral and Charles will take over, no one can be expected to work until the end and duty is just an excuse because no one is irreplaceable.

Yes, a sad occasion indeed. Now a small note of levity which no-one else has yet mentioned - this is going to cost Royal Mail a LOT of money!

G.

Why? Surely it is healthy and stimulating to have a range of opinions. We are not clones. Haven't really seen much slanging, just a bit of censorious finger wagging :)
...so now you're arguing with me when I have expressed an opinion. Thats hysterical. Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

I remember when Diana died and things went fairly long on the media coverage here, but people were generally focused on the fact that Diana died and how they felt about it. That obviously wasn't without controversy due to the circumstances, but I don't remember anyone in the states fighting with each other about it.

It seems like we've gotten to the point with the internet that when something like this happens now (death...someone died, it's not a tiktok post), people are more interested in observing the reactions of others so that they can fight with them about it.

That's a shame.

...so now you're arguing with me when I have expressed an opinion. Thats hysterical. Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
Nope. Read it again. I asked 2 questions then expressed a short opinion (as did you). There was no argument there. Calm down.

I for one am sad to see the passing of a an amazing, warm, intelligent and wise Woman who has been the glue that bonded a disparate nation together, may she find a peace and tranquility in the afterlife she did not know on earth, and to the previous commenter how would you feel if on the death of your father you had to take up the duties of state at the age of 26, and had no options about the job?, Her Majesty always put her duty first, and we should be proud of her commitment and contribution in her 70 years of service to our country Julie Lowe

What is so remarkable is that, to almost the whole world, she was The Queen. She represented our country everywhere she went and every one she met seems to have such respect for her. This did not happen over night and we should not expect Charles III to replace her in everyone's hearts straight away. As long as he now puts duty before everything else, he should get the hang of the job before too long!

Phil

Whatever the subject there are always people who turn it into a slanging match.
Unless you live under a dictator then in a democratic country then you will get opinions and views from 360° , the days when a monarch could have your head for no reason are long gone and these days not everyone will be a royalist. I personally think that rather than it being a sad occasion we should be happy that she has had a long life and died peacefully, sad is when a kid gets killed in their own home or an invalid murdered in there mobility scooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back