Quangsheng No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane Review/Thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too long

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Shut Up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Today I took delivery of the above mentioned plane. Now I know these "low angle" planes are controversial in some circles and that Chinese knockoffs are controversial in other circles, so surely this must be some sort of Venn diagram explosion of controversy. I'm not a huge new tool/gear nerd but I thought I'd post my thoughts anyway. As with most of the topics I start, this one is more of a rambling essay but whatever. Maybe it'll help some people.

If you can't be bothered to read it all then that's ok. To save you some time: it's very good.

Ok so to begin with I'll get it out of the way: I didn't like buying a Chinese plane. And I know it's so stupid, especially in 2018, to have that bias. While researching Quangsheng and its Woodriver branded American cousin I read several forum posts and articles (mostly positive). One particularly stood out to me: an American forum member in 2010 (not sure which forum) had said, and to paraphrase heavily, that one of the reasons they wouldn't buy a Chinese tool was that morally they weren't comfortable with it; Chinese undercutting other economies; their disregard for the environment; blatant copying of designs, the list goes on. And while they're all valid points it struck me that what a difference 8 years makes and the amazing steps China has made. Its government might still be quite sketchy but its commitment to the environment and the planet is applaudable. In contrast, why do I feel any kind of allegiance to America or American made products? Especially while America is so successfully embarrassing itself at the moment. These are all rhetorical questions that I don't really need answers to but they're interesting nonetheless. And as for the copying of designs, well I'm pretty sure Lie Nielsen's No. 62 is an exact copy of Stanley's anyway and that the only original design (of bevel up planes) out there at the moment is Veritas'. Might be wrong tho.

I actually bought the Veritas bevel up jack a few weeks ago for a couple of reasons: I was working with some Ash that was driving me mad with tearout/general nastiness and I wanted to see if it'd make a difference. I also thought it looked cool and I was bored after Christmas and wanted one. Long story short it was a waste of money - I didn't like it all which surprised me and I figured it was for the most part a marketing gimmick aimed at newcomers (newer than me, at least). I thought I'd like the general similarities to a 5 1/2 but I didn't so back it went to Axminster. It just didn't feel good. Some weeks later and the same piece of Ash (now pieces that make up a small dovetail box) is still giving me a headache. The grain is all over the place, interlocked and it's just rubbish. But I wanted to conquer it. In the interim I'd got a Quangsheng low angle block plane from eBay and was mightily impressed, so when I started toying with the idea of trying a bevel up jack again that's what I decided to get, along with 25, 38 and 50° irons from Workshop Heaven. I also knew that it probably wasn't going to become my go-to plane or that it'd get heavy use so that bad taste of buying a Chinese tool wasn't quite so strong. Until now I've done 99% of my planing with an old Record 5 1/2 and although new tools and toys are cool, there is something immensely satisfying about getting everything I need out of what was a knackered old plane. Which is why I hadn't bought a new one until now.

As all the other reviews and stuff say, out of the box the plane looks good and is heavy. I don't really care, that's not the measure of whether it works but if you're into that kind of thing then yeah, it's nice looking and reassuringly heavy (not as heavy as the Veritas). More importantly, everything was very straight and square. A relief because I didn't want to have to send it back.

With all the oil and stuff cleaned off and the 25° blade lapped and honed (it was already very flat and quite sharp) I took it for a spin. Ok it works like a plane usually works but will it work on the Ash. With the mouth set VERY close I gave it a couple of tentative passes. No tearout! And so on it went until all the previous tearout was gone and all that was left was a beautiful surface. I wasn't gobsmacked but I was pleased. It's worth noting that the blade was as sharp as the others I'd tried previously in the Veritas and Record, nothing was different in that regard. Around the box I went until each surface had that kind of semi-gloss sheen that a well tuned plane will give you. Impressive. Sorry Record old friend, you've been bested here.

With that out the way I thought I'd try out the 50° iron. I'm not a huge traditionalist but I think I've come to learn that for the average woodworker a Bailey pattern plane will be able to do most of what you ask of it, they have so far for me in my short woodworking career at least. A 50° bevel seemed unnecessary and improbable. I took out a piece of highly figured Walnut which again had been giving me problems with terrible tearout. I couldn't quite figure it out, even after seeking the advice of Custard. The 25° iron didn't make a difference, I was still mutilating the surface, but the 50° worked perfectly and again soon any trace of tearout was gone. Very impressive.

Another pleasant surprise is that the irons hold their edge very well. Bonus.

A couple of bad points:

- The depth adjustment wheel is really annoyingly just out of reach of the index finger you'd usually turn it with. I'd read reports of that elsewhere but still, it's irritating.
- Whenever I remove the blade the Norris style adjuster comes with it. This is VERY irritating.
- There isn't a lot of room for lateral adjustment and the Norris adjuster makes it clumsy. But perhaps that is more the Norris' fault then the plane itself.

These are niggling issues that aren't deal breakers for me.

So there it is. My verdict, for what it's worth, is that this plane is brilliant. For the versatility it offers it's an absolute bargain and it also showed me that bevel up planes can be really useful and that I shouldn't be such a sceptic (or take on board so readily others' scepticism). It 100% did what I could not get a well tuned Record to do. The Veritas could of course do the same thing but for me it didn't. I'd still choose the Quangsheng anyway. What's really stupid though is that in the back of my head there's still a small voice saying "... but it's Chinese". Hopefully that'll fade.

This photo was taken just before I'd finished smoothing the surface - you can still see a few dodgy spots. I should have got a proper before and after because the difference was truly night and day but this will have to do.

Shoutout to Workshop Heaven for the quick delivery too.

TXExx3r.jpg

a useful review. Not necessarily for right now, but it is just the type of info that I would search for if I was looking to buy one.

That's a helpful review Barto. Is the poll agree/ disagree? I'm not really sure how these things are supposed to work.

edit - ah, is the poll whether the review's too long? :?

Chris152":3nny44q3 said:
That's a helpful review Barto. Is the poll agree/ disagree? I'm not really sure how these things are supposed to work.

I just wanted to add a poll. You don’t have to answer. Or you can click any option!

Really appreciate you taking time to put your thoughts down for us. I had a chance to try the Axminster rider 62 at the Harrogate tool show. I liked that enough to put a #62 on my wish list but of course the plane was already setup to take a fine shaving and the test piece didn't have difficult grain. Is there any reason to prefer the Quangsheng over the Axminster version ? Thanks.

Sideways":2lkhedfj said:
Really appreciate you taking time to put your thoughts down for us. I had a chance to try the Axminster rider 62 at the Harrogate tool show. I liked that enough to put a #62 on my wish list but of course the plane was already setup to take a fine shaving and the test piece didn't have difficult grain. Is there any reason to prefer the Quangsheng over the Axminster version ? Thanks.

That’s a good question. In the end it probably comes down to personal preferenceas much as anything else. I’ve read reviews of the Rider planes both good and bad and I don’t doubt that they can be made to work as well as any other plane. The Rider 62 sure looks nice at least and the blade is enormous!

I reckon though that because Workshop Heaven is a smaller operation they can be more thorough with their quality control checks and general specification. I’m only guessing here though.

I'm currently considering one of these - either the Axi Rider or the Quangsheng - so many thanks for taking the time to review this.

I'm surprised (to say the least) that there's any significant difference in performance-on-the-wood between the Veritas and the Quangsheng.

BugBear

That will be nice in a shooting board so the question is irrelevant, in my opinion.

Does it excel at cutting the end grain in those tails for example?
I have not tried cutting end grain with the cap iron effect.

Sounds like you need another smoother to me, as you must have too much camber on the iron.
or just another double iron.

Sweet box

Ttrees":280hiwno said:
That will be nice in a shooting board so the question is irrelevant, in my opinion.

Does it excel at cutting the end grain in those tails for example?
I have not tried cutting end grain with the cap iron effect.

Sounds like you need another smoother to me, as you must have too much camber on the iron.
or just another double iron.

Sweet box

There's only a tiny amount of camber on the iron. As a smoother it works really beautifully but it couldn't deal with the Ash. Or the Walnut very well for that matter.

Yes it cuts end grain well although because of the size of those tails I mainly used the low angle block.

I have had the Quangsheng low angle jack for about a year now and like it very much. Yes it is well made. Yes it is good on end grain, though I don't find the shape so comfortable in my hand on a shooting board. Yes the blades keep their edge well, and yes the 50 deg blade is good on interlocked grain. It feels very comfortable in my hand, and I find the low centre of gravity aids balance and squareness of cut.

However, I have not had the chance to compare it with similar offerings from Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or Stanley, though the forum member who sold it to me after getting a Lie-Nielsen said that frankly there was little difference.

I would have thought any low angle, sorry any BU plane period, would need to be used for a continuous stroke,
without stopping as it would leave a track from the edge, hence mentioning the tails

I think you need to designate a Bailey as the final smoother though, and keep it that way.
Too much camber, better off saying you can't have any camber nearly, as that was your problem.
As a side note my eclipse style honing guide has been on the blink, and for a year or so its been problematic.

Its gotten to a point where I cant use it for honing, if I want to sharpen my Bailey smoother...
It creates a camber no matter what I do, as the bearing has worn the shaft.
I've had to do it freehand, its handy that I have a grinder on hand to keep that bevel tiny, because its not too easy
on a no 5 1/2

Tom

Iv'e purchased several QS planes from workshop Heaven , as theirs have a higher spec than any other supplier and found them to be excellent, so Id recommend them to anyone as a really good premium quality plane at a standard price. I dont have a QS low angle plane, I plumped for a the new Stanley Sweetheart LA and its a joy to use, premium plane quality, a touch better than the QS around the same price and it has an adjustable mouth controlled by the front knob.

Attachments

• !.jpg
    !.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,579
Dangermouse 2nd":ixyh9lx0 said:
Iv'e purchased several QS planes from workshop Heaven , as theirs have a higher spec than any other supplier and found them to be excellent, so Id recommend them to anyone as a really good premium quality plane at a standard price. I dont have a QS low angle plane, I plumped for a the new Stanley Sweetheart LA and its a joy to use, premium plane quality, a touch better than the QS around the same price and it has an adjustable mouth controlled by the front knob.

Glad to hear the Stanley is good. It looks nice that's for sure, but I guess that's the easy part ain't it. And the QS has an adjustable mouth via the front knob too :wink:

I once knew a QS (Quantity Surveyor) that I wished had an adjustable mouth, he needed switching off at most meetings. LOL

Mike

Hello,

If the Veritas didn't suit you, then fair enough, but what is it about it that you think is a marketing gimmick? I have had the Low angle jack for several years, and it is superb, and easy to handle on a shooting board, too. It is essentially the same thing as the 62 but an original design; adjustable mouth etc. all present and correct. Mine would plane that ash in its sleep!

Incidentally, it is a good job the QS 62 ISN'T an exact copy of the vintage Stanley one, but a close copy of the LN improved version. The Stanley tended to break around the mouth, because the low bed made the casting too thin there.

Mike.

woodbrains":3btennrx said:
Hello,

If the Veritas didn't suit you, then fair enough, but what is it about it that you think is a marketing gimmick? I have had the Low angle jack for several years, and it is superb, and easy to handle on a shooting board, too. It is essentially the same thing as the 62 but an original design; adjustable mouth etc. all present and correct. Mine would plane that ash in its sleep!

Incidentally, it is a good job the QS 62 ISN'T an exact copy of the vintage Stanley one, but a close copy of the LN improved version. The Stanley tended to break around the mouth, because the low bed made the casting too thin there.

Mike.

I wasn’t referring to the Veritas in particular but bevel up planes in general being touted as the only plane you’ll ever need and perfect for beginners etc. Perhaps gimmick is the wrong word. And with that in mind, in some instances it probably is the only plane you’ll ever need and most definitely would suit a beginner who just wants to buy something that’s nearly ready to go out of the box.

I was more referring to my thought process at the time. And obviously if you read my review you can see I was wrong and am now a convert to the uses of a bevel up plane.

Hello,

Oh, I see; I completely agree with you about the only plane you'll ever need, thing. I would never recommend a bevel up plane as a first plane or indeed, only plane. They are useful, for sure, but as a compliment to the usual bench planes, not a substitute.

Mike.

Back