pyrography-help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M P Hales

Established Member
Reaction score
Any help and guidance on the best pyrography set as a starter set up for my 11 year old daughter as she wants to try her hand at something new.
Price limitations to a degree but have learnt lesson buying cheap and don't want to put her off with lousy tools!!

Thanks in advance

M

you really need to buy the best you can afford otherwise all else is wrong, i have the peter childs machine and its brilliant, at about £100 its not cheap but what the point trying to make something nice with useless tools that either wont hold the heat or overheats and ruins all your work, they hold their price so good for re-sale if she dont like it..

stevebuk":2l7zafz6 said:
you really need to buy the best you can afford otherwise all else is wrong, i have the peter childs machine and its brilliant, at about £100 its not cheap but what the point trying to make something nice with useless tools that either wont hold the heat or overheats and ruins all your work, they hold their price so good for re-sale if she dont like it..

Thanks for that Steve
Have looked at them on tinterweb.
Think somebody needs to start saving some of her spending money.
Totally agree ref quality had recent experiance with scrollsaw and don't want daughter to make same mistakes-learn at early age buy cheap,buy twice.

Thanks again
M

A few months ago I attended a pyrography demo where two different machines were being used. The quality machine achieved far superior results. I don't remember what brand it was but my observations certainly support Steve's opinion.

Another factor to consider is the quality of the material which will be used. Although BBP isn't cheap, its lack of grain means it is the material of choice for pyrographers.

+1 for the Peter Child's kit. Personally I think Pyrography is the work of the Devil, but I help out at a community workshop and it is very popular. The courses are always fully booked. We have several PC machines, they get used and abused and still keep going.
And they produce good results. If you like that sort of thing...
:)
S

I've seen the Peter Child Kits on ebay, some from commercial (new) and private sellers, (2nd hand) you may get one cheaper on there, and if your daughter is anything like my son, they want it yesterday.

Gary

stevebuk":1rhqx14u said:

+1 for the Peter Child system. I bought mine second hand from a well knowm internet auction site for about £60 with lots of extra bits and pieces.

I have recently bought a pyrography machine and FWIW here are my observations:

After some research there are basically two different types, one a bit like a soldering iron and one more like a pen with heat control. I went for the latter as it is the type recommended all over the web. I looked at the Peter Childs website but when I was ready to order they were out of stock. I eventually went for the Davan machine which also has good reviews.

It was particularly recommended by LesleyW on here. There is no website to buy from as the machine is made by a retired engineer in Wales. His name is David Rees and you can call him on 01654 710550. Price was £82.00 plus £5.00 p+p. Delivery was next day.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this machine. the basic machine comes with two pens so you can have a couple of different nibs at the ready.

If your daughter wants some inspiration checkout http://www.wydon.co.uk

HTH

regards

Brian

I have the janik g4 pyro machine has different tips for burning and 2 outlets to run 2 pens at the same time i do find the handle gets a bit warm at times would be useful if she could try more than one make if possible i mainly use it for celtic knotwork.
ive att a simple box i made for a friend the box is made from birch ply burns well

Attachments

• casket4.jpg
    casket4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,291

Latest posts

Back