Push sticks for table saws....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allylearm":31xjihtu said:
Don't like plastic, they sit on my new supplied machines, and that is where they remain. I have found like everything else in woodworking, you can get as many thoughts on everything you will ever do or want to do, you work out what suits you best or is as hand at the time.

I prefer myself birdsmouth cuts to push the timber, I also like to combine a pusher on the end or flat surface to keep timber against the fence for example. I also use alot of spring fences on my spindle moulder. The important bit is it keeps your hands and fingers away from blades/cutters. Stay in the habit of using sticks when ever you push wood through. Its a habit that will save you a digit and feeling so stupid after it happens.

YOu're scaring me.

I have not the slightest intention of loosing one.

I have used the sw very little .....I question if I want to now.

My Dad says of the hand held circ saws....he uses one if he absolutely has to, but it's a last resort. Maybe I find another way, I ran it up today, it's just too severe.

Davidf":14wvm3fw said:
YOu're scaring me.

My Dad says of the hand held circ saws....he uses one if he absolutely has to, but it's a last resort. Maybe I find another way, I ran it up today, it's just too severe.

With that attitude you're a long way down the road to safely operating woodworking machinery.

The time to be scared is when you stop being even a little bit scared.

custard":3sze5ddo said:
Davidf":3sze5ddo said:
YOu're scaring me.

With that attitude you're a long way down the road to safely operating woodworking machinery.

The time to be scared is when you stop being even a little bit scared.

I have some work to do with it, like securing it better, better light, better height.

I'll only work with it if I feel (acceptably) comfortable with it....not before.

I had a friend once who lost part of his thumb in a motor bike chain. It's too late then.

SurreyHills":2rzyol7u said:
Do a Google search for push stick plans. If you click on the images quite a few have scale drawings you can use as a template. I make a few at a time (using different thicknesses to cater for narrow stock)- cut on the bandsaw and shaped with a rasp/file to make them comfortable to hold. The ones I use are:

http://www.grampasworkshop.net/push stick.PDF - favourtite one and use it all the time
http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/OwnersManuals/20031020153937_En912859-10-20-03.pdf - it's a manual for a Delta saw fence with a scale plan for a push stick at the back

Good idea.

Lots of ideas.

I was taught to always use two push sticks, and to use them as soon as the end of the workpiece has reached the front edge of the table.

JH

I always use pushsticks and just to get up Jacob's nose I will admit to using festool plastic ones - I got one as free accessory, then bought a couple more because they are so good. And, at £55 each, they are or at least were quite modestly priced by fessy prices. They don't shatter if nibbled and I don't think they would under any circumstances - they feel more like a tough nylon than a shatterable plastic like abs or polycarbonate.

Jake":3jburetk said:
I always use pushsticks and just to get up Jacob's nose I will admit to using festool plastic ones - I got one as free accessory, then bought a couple more because they are so good. And, at £55 each, they are or at least were quite modestly priced by fessy prices. They don't shatter if nibbled and I don't think they would under any circumstances - they feel more like a tough nylon than a shatterable plastic like abs or polycarbonate.
Ooh right up the nose! :shock:
Sounds like they are almost as good as plywood ones then. £55 would buy several sheets of top class ply but any old rubbish will do.

Jacob":1ycut5cs said:
Jake":1ycut5cs said:
Ooh right up the nose! :shock:
Sounds like they are almost as good as plywood ones then. £55 would buy several sheets of top class ply but any old rubbish will do.

I knew you'd take the jokey bait. They were of course not £55 that would be mental. I must have spent at least 15 seconds trying to judge how mental I could get away with without spoiling it. They are, or were, about a fiver which is a fair amount of cheap rubbish chinese ply but not so much nice birch ply, and save time which is more scarce than fivers and are nice to use. You are so gullible if led gently in the direction of your prejudices, which is just so sweet. Lots of love, Jake.

If anyone is having problems making a push stick then I would suggest starting that next project should be put on the back burner until you have mastered it. :lol:

mailee":1efrb7o1 said:
If anyone is having problems making a push stick then I would suggest starting that next project should be put on the back burner until you have mastered it. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mailee":35tui13a said:

Well said Alan =D> =D> PMSL

Thanks for the answers gentlemen (or should I say in the last few cases the replies? :) ).

Latest posts

Back