Logosol Timber Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macetownhouse

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_5700.jpeg
IMG_5701.jpeg
IMG_5767.jpeg
IMG_5788.jpeg
IMG_5795.jpeg
IMG_5768.jpeg

Hello and salutations I am about to try and to give my view on the Logosol Timber Jig.
I chose this over the Alaskan mill type as the Gransberg agent is UK based, with Brexit, importing into euro zone is prohibitive expansive.
The Amazon version looks a bit tinny.
The Logosol seemed more simple, less moving parts.

The videos on YouTube where I have learned most things can be a little misleading as all the logs seem very straight and not that heavy at all!!. This seems counter~intuitive as fresh logs with sap are much easier to cut, but heavier.

The saw I was using is a Stihi MS 391 with a 20 inch bar. For the log size I was trying to cut both are on the edge of their limits.
The 20 inch becomes 18inch with the jig attached to saw with another three inches lost on the first cut from rail running down the side of the log to give first cut. This is where you need the most width to start with, all other cuts get shorter.
This can be overcome in two ways, heart says bigger saw, MS661 with a 36inch bar.
Head says 25 to 26 inch bar on my own saw. A new saw is very tempting but wifey won’t let me spend that kinda money yet….

Now don’t get me wrong not everyone will be milling tree trunks.

This leads to another point that is not an issue for me as I have a Teleporter and lots of room, these logs are HEAVY and difficult to move by oneself.

A milling chain is vital as it is at 10 degrees v 30 degrees on a standard chainsaw chain, the less aggressive 10 degrees makes a smooth and easier cut.
Keeping them sharp is vital important, I have a two in one Stihi sharpener with a simple 90 degree angle cut at 10 degrees on top held in vice to get the 10 degrees.

The cut is very good in my opinion, when I mastered the first cuts, hold saw at rear of handle to keep bar even. See the two boards near bottom of left stack to understand.
I was cutting at 60mm to end up with 50mm finished board after passing through planer.
Will come back slowly to closer to 54mm with a bit left for planer.

I have cut fresh Lime which was easy and maybe three years fallen Beech with some rot but lovely spalting. I next plan to try old dry stored Pine.

To sum up very happy and the timber cut so far as covered price of mill.
Thank you for reading this.

Attachments

• IMG_5773.mov
    27.9 MB
Last edited:
Thanks for the review, the only pic we have of it is the 3rd one and it really doesn’t show what’s what I’m afraid, any chance of some more pics?

Back