Protecting timber outdoors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I need your advice.

I made a Patio Table to replace the flimsy plastic one, seems OK so far.

I used ordinary softwood from Travis Perkins, I don't know anything about timber so am unable to say what it is :? .

What finish can I put on it that would help to preserve it in outdoor weather? Paint or Varnish? something that will stand up to rain and the winter weather.

Advise me please, thanks.
guyos

Varnishes try to form a skin over the wood and at some stage will crack and let water in and then the varnish lifts off.

An outdoor fence type paint/stain/preservative will possibly last longest as it does not try seal the wood but lets it breathe.

The weakest point for rot will be the bottoms of the legs. Don't let these rest on soil or even concrete. Put plastic or metal gliders on the feet and then this will be fine on concrete/stone. If you have the table on soil/grass then still use gliders but put a brick or paver under each legs to slow down the rot.

Make a note to yourself for the next outdoor project to at least buy pressure treated softwood or better still a hardwood species that is a known good performer outdoors.

hth

Bob

Thanks for the advice 9fingers, and I will try to find sikkens locally it looks good.

guyos

Latest posts

Back