Oak bench finish (outdoor)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superneutrino

Reaction score
Hi folks... Amateur here!

Im putting together a remembrance bench with cast iron ends (plus stainless fixtures that is going to be out in the elements and i want it to be as bomb proof as possible.

I have slats from european oak and i was wondering if something like Barratine clear wood preservative followed by 3-5 coats of yacht varnish (brand to be determined) would work?

- Can i layer the yacht varnish over the preservative nicely?

- what are the best products to use?

- anything i really need to consider?

- are their better options?

I know any wood outside is going to need maintainance, but the opportunity to do so in this case is limited, so trying to belt and brace as much as possible!

Amy advice from you gurus would be wonderful! Thanks!

@Superneutrino Hi! I too put yatch varnish on the oak slats of my garden bench. Looked marvellous for a year or two but then started to peel and then looked terrible. Now after probably five years it's just about all off and the oak has weathered to that silvery grey that oak goes. Looks better.
I think you'll find a majority of members here will advise you to leave it to go silver.
Have fun
Martin

@Superneutrino Hi! I too put yatch varnish on the oak slats of my garden bench. Looked marvellous for a year or two but then started to peel and then looked terrible. Now after probably five years it's just about all off and the oak has weathered to that silvery grey that oak goes. Looks better.
I think you'll find a majority of members here will advise you to leave it to go silver.
Have fun
Martin
Should i still look at hitting it with the preservative?

It will be quite exposed and under a tree so and i really want to keep it looking good for as long as possible!

Bench slats are always troublesome as they dont shed water. Ideally all surfaces should be at a minimum angle of 9 degrees to shed water. Water is brutal, it can get through anything given enough time, so what ever you put on the surface will deteriorate and need maintenance.

If it were me as suggested I’d leave it and let it silver with time. It will rot as water will just sit on the surface, but should last a good long time.
If your looking to maintain a ‘nice new wood surface’ I would use the following:

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/varmain.html

You may find that the oak goes blue/black where it is in contact with the iron. Paint the iron with a metal paint (Hammerite?) to prevent this. There are marine protective oils rather than varnish that can be a better option on the oak.

You may find that the oak goes blue/black where it is in contact with the iron. Paint the iron with a metal paint (Hammerite?) to prevent this. There are marine protective oils rather than varnish that can be a better option on the oak.
Yea the iron is going to be completely refinished and the fixings stainless.

Do you have any recommendations for the oils?

Can/should they be used in addition to a clear wood preservative like Barratine?

@deema have you experience of the Tonkinois finish, I regularly get to make these Oak benches:

Oak bench.jpg

But I've always declined to put a finish on them for fear it will degrade.

Le Tonkinois Linseed Oil Varnish No.1

Fast drying Linseed Oil varnish. Reapply only after 8 hours of dry time. Le Tonkinois No. 1 has been more refined compared to the Classic Le Tonkinois (below) and has some slightly different characteristics. Probably the world's best varnish for your home or for any marine application. This varnish does not peel or crack. It will be absorbed by the wood over time. Can be recoated after 3-5 years. Maintain the linseed oil varnish in very exposed surfaces by doing a light hand sanding and then apply a new coat.

I use Tonkinous if I have to use varnish externally. In my opinion the best you can buy. Like all varnish though it does need maintenance, but less than any other again IMO.

I agree with the suggestion to let it weather silver grey. We bough a bench table and chairs in 1989 in untreated oak for the garden and it’s still going strong in the wet and windy Lancashire Pennines.

Back