Protecting paint / other perishables from frost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine this must be a concern for many other forumites and I wanted to ask what others do. I have paints / glues / polyurethane rubber that all state protect from frost. My garage is not heated, and although it has an insulated ceiling I imagine the temp will get below 5c

I was thinking of making a large insulated box out of celotex and purchasing a small electric heater that I can run when ever the temp gets below 5c

Does anyone else do something similar or have a better suggestion?

Thanks

Buy a big roll of bubble wrap (about a fiver) and give each can a wrapping....do the same with batteries that need to be stored over winter (caravans, boats etc etc)

I made up a heater for this purpose a few years ago, it was just a large biscuit tin with a number of approx, 10mm holes drilled & a couple of bulb holders fitted, for 60w bulbs. It is controlled by a frost protection thermostat. Your question has reminded me to get it set up again for this winter.

If you did not want to make up your own heater, have a look on the following site, for low wattage tubular heaters. (Their customer service is very good), I have no connection other than a satisfied customer.

http://www.qvsdirect.com

Hope this is of help.

Chris R.

Have you experienced freezing or checked with a thermostat to confirm if you do suffer from zero in your garage :?:

How about an Oil Filled radiator with a frost setting. Left on the low setting the running costs should be minimal, also being a sealed heater would not be a problem with fire risk from sawdust etc :idea: .

I do not have heating in my garage but have never actually seen the temperature get to freezing :D

Keith

On reflection, I don't know if the garage does get that cold. I know it feels bloody cold when I try working in there during the winter brrrrrrrrrrrrgh

flanajb":1jofv31t said:
On reflection, I don't know if the garage does get that cold. I know it feels bloody cold when I try working in there during the winter brrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Try working a bit faster :D (hammer) :D (hammer)

Perhaps one of these may help :idea: . Silly money but seem to be quite accurate, I have checked its temperature readings with another thermometer and the humidity reading matches my De humidifier scale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... ge_o01_s00

If your garage is damp it will make it feel cold :cry:

Good luck

Keith

Latest posts

Back