Professional forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safe to say, when it comes to winning the Champions League, the Gooners are most definitely the Goners!

Great thread.

Some random thoughts..

It's very hard to find 'good' trades people because there are so many wasters out there doing dung work (I live next door to one) I would imagine this gives some people a negative attitude towards trade people in general.

I do a certain amount of "wood work" as part of my job, am I a joiner or professional wood worker? Nope, not even close.

WWUK is a good resource, there's more kitchen building (and door/window) info tucked away in old posts than you can shake a stick at - mostly down to the likes of Bob that run their own company.

The timber price thing is a joke, if you want cheaper prices buy in bulk and negotiate.

There's more but no one wants to read it and I'm ******* tired :lol:

Fun thread - manages to upset, offend and amuse just about everyone, in equal measure :) And kudos to Cornish for maintaining his defensive position throughout - if he ever fancies a change of career there's a job for you at Arsenal, lol!
+1 to everything Dr Bob wrote further up as well.

FWIW I'd certainly be interested in seeing a 'trade talk' section here - not sure how active it would be, but like the 'general metalworking' sub-forum, we probably won't know unless it's offered?

Cheers, Pete

Edited for spelling

Maybe see if a mod will make a sticky post titled 'trade talk' , although people seem to find it hard enough to post in the relevant sections as it is ( i.e this very thread one as an example) . Still not sure what difference having a separate section will make other than maybe fragmenting the place up .

One thing to note I've not seen anyone on this thread dis or have any problems with trade members BUT Cornish seems to have a problem with hobby woodworkers .

For me some of the most interesting and respected (by me) posters on here are tradesmen. I wouldn't be interested in their discussions on van insurance or workplace pensions for example but I like to see what they've done and value their opinion on how to do things. Thing is we don't get many thread discussing trade specific topics like van insurance, VAT so I question the need for a separate place to do it. If the OP wants to make it clear to other readers that he's a trademan then you should just put a statement and link in your footer to say so. I would have thought you'd want to show off your work to as wide an audience as possible not just other tradesmen

clk230":blle7s7v said:
One thing to note I've not seen anyone on this thread dis or have any problems with trade members BUT Cornish seems to have a problem with hobby woodworkers .

He has problems with people he "assumes" are hobby woodworkers
Have a look at his previous inputs and you can see where he was trying to "put Mailee down"
Its not this post but his general attitude.

Maybe if he puts link to his own website (like others have done) we could see if he walks the talk
Personally I think he lives under a bridge

lurker":cfyw5ymo said:
Maybe if he puts link to his own website (like others have done) we could see if he walks the talk
He put up a selection of his recent work the other day in the 'projects' section - and very nice it is too.

Cheers, Pete

mseries":3ayddit9 said:
For me some of the most interesting and respected (by me) posters on here are tradesmen. I wouldn't be interested in their discussions on van insurance or workplace pensions for example but I like to see what they've done and value their opinion on how to do things. Thing is we don't get many thread discussing trade specific topics like van insurance, VAT so I question the need for a separate place to do it. If the OP wants to make it clear to other readers that he's a trademan then you should just put a statement and link in your footer to say so. I would have thought you'd want to show off your work to as wide an audience as possible not just other tradesmen
Perhaps if there were a specific subforum for it then it would attract more members who are tradesmen and their knowledge would trickle in to the other subforums.

This reminds me. This thread crossed my mind yesterday when I was in Axminster. A couple of paint covered, 20 something, man-in-van types had wandered over from the screwfix and/or tool station across the road probably to compare prices and have a gander. They were wondering loudly what festool was and why it was so bloody expensive, if there were any dewalt tools knocking about, and looking confused over the fancy planes.

Philistines. :mrgreen:

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

BearTricks":2btb2u1h said:
Perhaps if there were a specific subforum for it then it would attract more members who are tradesmen and their knowledge would trickle in to the other subforums.

Maybe, I hope it doesn't though, well I hope it wouldn't attract (some of) the tradesmen whose comments I read on Screwfix and DIYNot

You've only got to look at the thread about VAT on 2nd hand items the other month lots of different answers and some choosing not to believe the truth .Some questions are best left to paid professionals i.e your accountant rather than random forum members .
The 'off topic' section is good for general questions not already covered .

It's possible to have a closed forum with membership controlled by a moderator, either publicly viewable or completely closed.
cornishpasty could be the mod and chose who he wanted to join, if anybody wanted to!

petermillard":vd0gsn7x said:
lurker":vd0gsn7x said:
He put up a selection of his recent work the other day in the 'projects' section - and very nice it is too.

Cheers, Pete

I stand corrected....... Maybe
Somebody does nice work I agree

Is sounds like the most boring sub forum ever. All these things are discussed regularly with other "Pro's" that I know, anybody who is anybody in the trade has contacts.

Not interested, I want to read about stuff that we never have the opportunity to do and often don't have the skills to do. I've learnt a lot from these forums.

Latest posts

Back