Hello Workshop Warriors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to everyone in this community of Workshop Warriors.

My name is Chris Jones and I found myself here after researching old Pillar Drills while browsing for my next eBay Special.
I did manage to bag an early Boxford Bench Pillar Drill in working condition for an absolute bargain (£24.70) - Working condition.
I just cannot believe my luck on this one.

I am mid construction of a new workshop that has been waiting for 30 years to build !!
I am Head of Design and Technology in a secondary school up-North and the workshop is to be my retirement plan in my mid 50s.

Having a lot of knowledge of craft, technology, and construction, I aim for this build to be as perfect to my needs as possible.
But nobody knows everything and every day is a school day...Literally...
So, I am here to meet like-minded workshop warriors to interact and grow together...

So, Hello..........

Chris

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 0
@Stanleymonkey

Hello Stanleymonkey,
Thank you for the Welcome note.

I don`t mind you asking at all mate; I have been a teacher of Design and Technology and All trades of Construction for 25 years now. (Wow... not a long time if you say it quickly). I have been a Head of Technology for 20 of those years. Taught everything from cabinet making to 2D & 3D design both by hand and CAD/CAM, Taught Electronics to undergraduates and vocational subjects like Engineering, construction, electrical, & plumbing.
My love is for Timber and that`s where my heart lies. I fell in love with carving and turning 30 years ago and vowed to build a workshop to the best of my ability to retire into some 30 years ago. Life got in the way and the only workshops I have had have been work-related and never at home. So this Workshop build is important to get right. ... I`m rambling.. sorry. Can you tell I am only halfway through the build and very excited.? I have to tell myself to be patient with it to ensure it is right.

How about you Stanleymonkey? What`s your take on it all?

Chris

Last edited:
How about you Stanleymonkey? What`s your take on it all?

I'm a primary school teacher. Been teaching in KS2 for a long time and finally went over to the dark side or private schools. Trying to focus on DT teaching

@Stanleymonkey
They can be a handful at Primary as well as Secondary. I love the misfits in academia; I just love my subject and engaging these misfits in something they can relate to, enjoy and are finally good at after years of the education system failing them and telling them that they are not good enough because they cannot do Maths, science or English, for example. They then thrive and go on to be the backbone of this country servicing, building, maintaining and just 'Doing' the things that oil the cogs of Industry.

@Stigmorgan
Thank you for the 'Welcome' and Oh Yes!, Caretaker indeed.... Parent, Carer, Social worker, mental health therapist, support line, and of course ...Babysitter as well... o_O ... Don`t even get me started on the state of parenting skills these days....... Maybe I`ve been doing it too long ... Maybe I`ve just turned into my Dad !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@Stanleymonkey
They can be a handful at Primary as well as Secondary. I love the misfits in academia; I just love my subject and engaging these misfits in something they can relate to, enjoy and are finally good at after years of the education system failing them and telling them that they are not good enough because they cannot do Maths, science or English, for example. They then thrive and go on to be the backbone of this country servicing, building, maintaining and just 'Doing' the things that oil the cogs of Industry.

@Stigmorgan
Thank you for the 'Welcome' and Oh Yes!, Caretaker indeed.... Parent, Carer, Social worker, mental health therapist, support line, and of course ...Babysitter as well... o_O ... Don`t even get me started on the state of parenting skills these days....... Maybe I`ve been doing it too long ... Maybe I`ve just turned into my Dad !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Absolutely, a lot of our parents are military but the rest these days are little more than children themselves in a lot of cases, I too like working with the "non-academic" children but KS1 is my favourite, I'm the biggest child in school and love acting the clown 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Welcome Chris.
Nice old Boxford there. I suspect it has a good long quill travel and stiffness compared to most similar sized modern drills. Good find :)
Please share another photo with us once you've cleaned it up.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I certainly will be documenting the Boxford Refurb. I collect it tomorrow after a long drive south; but worth it I am sure.

Turning out to be a great Forum this !! :)

Hello to everyone in this community of Workshop Warriors.

My name is Chris Jones and I found myself here after researching old Pillar Drills while browsing for my next eBay Special.
I did manage to bag an early Boxford Bench Pillar Drill in working condition for an absolute bargain (£24.70) - Working condition.
I just cannot believe my luck on this one.

I am mid construction of a new workshop that has been waiting for 30 years to build !!
I am Head of Design and Technology in a secondary school up-North and the workshop is to be my retirement plan in my mid 50s.

Having a lot of knowledge of craft, technology, and construction, I aim for this build to be as perfect to my needs as possible.
But nobody knows everything and every day is a school day...Literally...
So, I am here to meet like-minded workshop warriors to interact and grow together...

So, Hello..........

Chris
That’s a great find. I have a little knowledge of these if you any problems 👍

Latest posts

Back