Professional forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we have a forum where it would be OK to speak ill of clients and their dastardly sidekicks (designers and architects)?
And bad-mouth building regulations and those that thought them up. :)

dzj":3kltdvhy said:
Can we have a forum where it would be OK to speak ill of clients and their dastardly sidekicks (designers and architects)?
And bad-mouth building regulations and those that thought them up. :)

I'd be up for that :D :D :D :D

Been reading this thread with interest - and to tell you the truth, I gave up after I read that us hobbyists are driving the price of timber up!. Well I've read it all now.

So for my next project, I shall go into my local timber shop storeroom with a broom and sweep the shavings off the floor and take them home and glue them all together. Just to save you 'poor' tradesmen from having to pay too much for your timber.

Just to confuse matters, I served my time as a joiner and passed my City and Guilds advanced craft; I no longer work as a joiner, so what classification do I fall under? - could I start a new forum member moniker of 'qualified hobbyist?'

However, don't fret your little nail bags over the 'weekend warriors', as I read recently that the popularity of DIY in the UK is tailing off, as folk are preferring to get the 'professionals/qualified persons/tradesmen - or dare I say it, blue collar workers, in to work on their houses. Although I think you've got more to worry about than us weekend warriors.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...builder-instead-says-Travis-Perkins-boss.html

The OP didn't really bother me to tell you the truth. I too thought it could've been worded differently; however when it comes to written text, sometimes the required tone isn't there or can be misinterpreted - I've always said that I wish computers had a sarcasm font.

It's a fair request for a 'trade/or folk working in the woodworking industry' section, and would be very handy for a fledgling business - better to hear folk's personal experiences.

Jonny

I always think as a pro we are in a no win situation.

1/ Put up a picture of something and most then tell you it's not to their taste, handles are in the wrong place, colour too modern etc etc

2/ offer advice and it's usually ignored as Joe blogs and his mates out number your advice, even though you have tried it all ways and done it day in day out for 20 years.

3/ point out the error of someones work and I am lambasted for not understanding their level of ability.

4/ Do a workshop tour and get accused of promoting my business

5/ Show off a big machine and told it's not like the old craftsmans days

6/ mention MDF and you must be dodgy

7/ My dog eats Steve Maskery's homemade cake and you never hear the last of it.................. :lol:

Yes ok sometimes my attitude does come across sometimes brash and rude, really don't any offence over it (maybe should learn to use the faces). All i wanted was to start a sub forum about paid work, from peoples reactions you thought i was asking for Hitler to be resurrected! People on here have some very funny views on tradesman, its funny how people jumped down my throat from my first comment but have gone on to rip apart people that get paid to do joinery and carpentry. I work with wood for a living so i call myself a professional (3 years college, being taught the right way and the correct, safe manner in which to do things) and couldn't care what others say! what's the difference between a professional golfer and an amateur? One gets paid, some with a professional racing driver and an amateur one. Anyway lets get on with a different topic

..........what about difference between womena and men in woodworking? :(

cornishjoinery":3bn3sm76 said:
Yes ok sometimes my attitude does come across sometimes brash and rude, really don't any offence over it (maybe should learn to use the faces). All i wanted was to start a sub forum about paid work, from peoples reactions you thought i was asking for Hitler to be resurrected! People on here have some very funny views on tradesman, its funny how people jumped down my throat from my first comment but have gone on to rip apart people that get paid to do joinery and carpentry. I work with wood for a living so i call myself a professional (3 years college, being taught the right way and the correct, safe manner in which to do things) and couldn't care what others say! what's the difference between a professional golfer and an amateur? One gets paid, some with a professional racing driver and an amateur one. Anyway lets get on with a different topic

Who is womena?

cornishjoinery":dkefxp7s said:
People on here have some very funny views on tradesman,..........what about difference between womena and men in woodworking? :(

It's not getting through is it (hammer) The majority on here do not have funny ideas about tradesmen, it's your misinterpretation! There are a lot of tradesmen on the forum who are perfectly happy to accept and help as well as learn from the hobbyists on here.

If you really want to start world war 3 forget about men and women and post a stupid comment on sharpening, :wink: :lol:

Doctor Bob you have got in spot on! my point exactly for starting a pro forum.

a womena is a women...................

cornishjoinery":11j8jzcu said:

Finally. Godwins Law - I was waiting... :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

iNewbie":1b9uz8au said:
cornishjoinery":1b9uz8au said:

Finally. Godwins Law - I was waiting... :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. God this made me laugh. Brilliant.

Jonny

Lons":2xxi6idx said:
cornishjoinery":2xxi6idx said:
People on here have some very funny views on tradesman,..........what about difference between womena and men in woodworking? :(

It's not getting through is it (hammer) The majority on here do not have funny ideas about tradesmen, it's your misinterpretation! There are a lot of tradesmen on the forum who are perfectly happy to accept and help as well as learn from the hobbyists on here.

If you really want to start world war 3 forget about men and women and post a stupid comment on sharpening, :wink: :lol:
Yes cornishjoinery how's your sharpening? Time to get serious! Do you take a slab of granite on site with you?

Jacob":1r4bgp03 said:
cornishjoinery":1r4bgp03 said:

Who is womena?

I think Jacob, Womena are that scary intelligent things that make us mena build kitchens for them, for fear of losing one's tool bag.

I could be wrong

Jonny

JonnyW":vrqjtgj8 said:
Jacob":vrqjtgj8 said:
cornishjoinery":vrqjtgj8 said:

Who is womena?

I think Jacob, Womena are that scary intelligent things that make us mena build kitchens for them, for fear of losing one's tool bag.

I could be wrong

Jonny
Right I know what you mean. :shock: What day is christmas on this year?

Well, after the 1st page I thought "This is going to be great. Even better than a 'Mac VS Windows PC' thread. So, I got the popcorn, put a straw in the coke, and sat back to enjoy. And I have to say....

...hmm.. bit of a let-down really. A few 'reasonable' jokes, not nearly enough name-calling, the inevitable Godwins Law, and 9 pages later it looks like you all may even kiss and make-up!

It's not good enough really, is it? This place is going soft!

I'm off to watch Arsenal!

I think they've moved over to Beau's thread on finding his Mojo again. Jacob and Cornish are about to start a fight - much better than watching the buttocks!!

And at 2-0 down before half time I've finished watching Arsenal.

Oh well, lets concentrate on the important things... like beating the spuds on Sunday!

doorframe":2eptx7cj said:
And at 2-0 down before half time I've finished watching Arsenal.

Oh well, lets concentrate on the important things... like beating the spuds on Sunday!

Latest posts

Back