Professional forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornishjoinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering if there is a forum anywhere for professional carpenters, joiners, cabinet makers etc, as much as i love to read threads from mr smith asking how to put a hinge on a door or mr Jones asking where he can buy 10 lengths of 40mm oak for under a tenner, i am thinking it would be cool to have a separate forum on here for professionals. I am not saying in the slightest that DIYS or weekend warriors don't know what they are doing, far from it, some are very very skilled but i would like to interact with the day to day issues of paid work. Again as much as i love to see pictures of mr Pauls building his first rabbit hutch or mr winters making a jewellery box for his late mothers rings, i like to look at work that is more relative to my work.
Any suggestions?
Cheers.

No, I don't know any, but would be pleased if you did, especially After reading you're response to Slow Steve's post, and
this post above, Rude, arrogant and very unhelpful.
Rodders

blackrodd":1mgzsjr6 said:
No, I don't know any, but would be pleased if you did, especially After reading you're response to Slow Steve's post, and
this post above, Rude, arrogant and very unhelpful.
Rodders

I haven't read the other post but I can't see how the opening post is so horrific.............. has some of it been deleted?

+1 for workshop UK. You will find a good proportion of members there are earning a crust from woodworking and they do have threads discussing pricing, quoting and subcontracting issues. Traffic volume is much lower than here and a far more relaxed approach to moderation than here.
Better or worse overall is up to you to decide but it is a different sort of place.

cornishjoinery":1nlh2mr9 said:
I don't how wanting to start a proffessional forum is arrogant? Sorry if I offended anyone.

It's how you said it. If i may break your post down a bit:

OK - "Hi guys, i was wondering if there is a forum anywhere for professional carpenters, joiners, cabinet makers etc"

Patronising - "as much as i love to read threads from mr smith asking how to put a hinge on a door or mr Jones asking where he can buy 10 lengths of 40mm oak for under a tenner"

OK - "i am thinking it would be cool to have a separate forum on here for professionals"

Patronising - "I am not saying in the slightest that DIYS or weekend warriors don't know what they are doing, far from it, some are very very skilled but "

OK - "i would like to interact with the day to day issues of paid work"

Patronising - "Again as much as i love to see pictures of mr Pauls building his first rabbit hutch or mr winters making a jewellery box for his late mothers rings"

OKish - "i like to look at work that is more relative to my work. "

You use more words to put down non-trade members than you do to say what you want. Does that help?

Sporky McGuffin":1w877l2k said:
cornishjoinery":1w877l2k said:
I don't how wanting to start a proffessional forum is arrogant? Sorry if I offended anyone.

It's how you said it. If i may break your post down a bit:

OK - "Hi guys, i was wondering if there is a forum anywhere for professional carpenters, joiners, cabinet makers etc"

Patronising - "as much as i love to read threads from mr smith asking how to put a hinge on a door or mr Jones asking where he can buy 10 lengths of 40mm oak for under a tenner"

OK - "i am thinking it would be cool to have a separate forum on here for professionals"

Patronising - "I am not saying in the slightest that DIYS or weekend warriors don't know what they are doing, far from it, some are very very skilled but "

OK - "i would like to interact with the day to day issues of paid work"

Patronising - "Again as much as i love to see pictures of mr Pauls building his first rabbit hutch or mr winters making a jewellery box for his late mothers rings"

OKish - "i like to look at work that is more relative to my work. "

You use more words to put down non-trade members than you do to say what you want. Does that help?
I myself can see nothing wrong with the original question, when writing instead of being face to face it may be rather difficult to explain clearly------ ( my penny's worth )

I've certainly read much worse. ;)

I think it may be in conjunction with the other post referred to that it's irked some.

Not really a forum like ukwporkshop but http://www.designermakers.org.uk is a network of professional furniture makers. They have an email forum which discusses the sort of topics you mention. There are a lot of top makers there and they are very helpful. There is a minor vetting process to join.

Chris

Hello Cornish

It might help if you included your name. I think that the post you made in another thread where a member asked for advice about making tenons, assumed that he was a professional and so was somewhat terse. I think if you had perhaps read his earlier recent thread asking for advice on making large doors for his workshop, you would realise he is not professional and perhaps would have responded differently.

So you got off on slightly the wrong foot. Put it behind you and move on. Maybe posting at nigh on midnight affects judgement and tone sometimes!

I have not been on this forum long either. I am reasonably experienced at woodwork though, having done some timber framed buildings, made a few kitchens...and a lot of guitars. I also run a couple of businesses, one of which is quite large, so (like plenty of other "amateurs" here) I am not clueless about the trade. There are lots of current or retired professionals and very skilled amateurs on this forum. I know this because I have met a few already. Very nice people by and large.

Give the place a chance. If you are seeking professional input, then just say so in your posts. There is quite a bit of PM activity behind the scenes. It is also a good opportunity for you to encourage curious amateurs like me.

Kind regards

Adrian

There aren't really any professional forums for joinery / cabinetmaking in the UK. There are in the US, woodweb for example

This forum is by a mile, the largest for woodworking in this country and includes the whole range of people from those enjoying woodwork as an absorbing hobby to people making a living hacking away at wood (I'm in the latter category). I run a joinery business and I have learnt a huge amount from this forum and have taken on board many ideas from members who do woodworking as a hobby as well as professionals.

I realise that forums members that do woodworking as a career have a very different view from those that do it as a hobby, but you just have to pick the threads that are of interest.

There is a great community spirit on this forum and for those that do woodworking as a hobby it allows the opportunity to have a hobby but not do it in a totally insular fashion but shared with like minded folk.

We've got a fairly clear picture of what you don't want to read about/discuss. Can you give us a bit more clarity on what (purely professional) topics you would like to read about/discuss?

Cheers, W2S (amateur at woodworking but professional at other things)

I think the op is rather elitist and the poster most certainly would be happier elsewhere. Instead of trying to demean posters here.

You get pros on Screwfix and similar forums. Generally a lot of cack-handed bodgers.
What makes you think there aren't any competent pros on here?

Maybe the moderators could add another subforum for questions relating to the business side of woodworking; it does come up quite often even if the general consensus seems to be keep your day job and do it as a hobby these days.

I understand protests about the original post. Strolling in to a room full of woodworkers and asking where you can find a group of people who actually know what they're doing seems unnecessary and a bit demeaning, especially considering Google is just a click away and many members on here are clearly seasoned professionals.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Some of you guys need to chill out a bit, I'd hate to see your reactions if something serious was to happen.

Jacob":2e47f52m said:
You get pros on Screwfix and similar forums. Generally a lot of cack-handed bodgers.

+1

If you have a question for the 'pro's' ask it and mention in the title that 'only pro's need reply' then the 'weekend warriors' et al won't trouble you.

Graham Orm":3lwbn17o said:
Jacob":3lwbn17o said:

+1

If you have a question for the 'pro's' ask it and mention in the title that 'only pro's need reply' then the 'weekend warriors' et al won't trouble you.

They will though, human nature, especially if the guy makes nice stuff and thinks he knows better. I think people seem to find "hobby" or "hobbiest" insulting.

Back