Professional forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would a ' Trade ' section differ ? Would only trade be able to ask/answer questions how would you become a verified trade member?

Maybe if you believe there's a need for a trade type forum you could set one up.

AJB Temple":3tcun1lo said:
Ha ha! You should try the kitchen knife forums. There are endless threads and videos on sharpening, all kinds of stones including naturals and dissection of synthetics by brand, how to thin behind the edge, about a zillion different stropping methods and materials.

I'm never sure who's more extreme - the kitchen knife crew or the straight razor mob.

The razor boys sometimes tend to the mystical.

BugBear

AJB Temple":3d4f00l7 said:
Ha ha! You should try the kitchen knife forums. There are endless threads and videos on sharpening, all kinds of stones including naturals and dissection of synthetics by brand, how to thin behind the edge, about a zillion different stropping methods and materials.
And it's quite likely few of them can actually cook. :D

CLK230 being a tradesman is completely different than being a hobbyist, the techniques are the same, the skill levels are the same, even the tools are the same, but i am more interested in pay scales, customers/clients, setting up trade workshops, time-scales etc etc. It wouldn't be an 'entry' thing at all, i look at the woodturning section but i am not a woodworker. I don't know why people have such hung ups? i would love to set something like that on here bet other would to.

cornishjoinery":225cryca said:
CLK230 being a tradesman is completely different than being a hobbyist, the techniques are the same, the skill levels are the same, even the tools are the same, but i am more interested in pay scales, customers/clients, setting up trade workshops, time-scales etc etc. It wouldn't be an 'entry' thing at all, i look at the woodturning section but i am not a woodworker. I don't know why people have such hung ups? i would love to set something like that on here bet other would to.

You miss my point , how would you get ' trade ' only answer / questions ? would any one be able to ask / answer . How would a trade only section differ from the current general section ?

I am sorry if i missed your point, why would you answer in a 'trade' section if you weren't in the trade, i don't answer in the metal works section because i am not a metal worker. If there were discussions on early starts and horrible clients why would a hobbyist answer or, pricing up jobs etc. I am not asking for Jesus to come back and walk the earth! I just thought, which may have been a stupid idea, but a section on the forums section for trade talk! wow.

Comes back to another point I made , how would you know who is trade or not ? Why would a non trade members opinion not be relevant to you that is surely a very narrow view .

Seems like two separate topics getting a bit mixed up by the OP. There are questions about woodworking techniques per se, which can indeed be used/answered equally well by professionals, gifted amateurs and even bodgers like myself who happen across the odd good idea. Then there are questions about business, which can apply to all sorts of businesses, not just wood related ones. Pay scales, investment decisions, human resources etc.. These questions are likely to be less of interest to a substantial proportion of posters on this forum, and may be better aimed at more general SME forums if they exist.
Then everyone can be happy...............

wow someone's got a hang up about not being in the trade! and AGAIN why would you comment on going to quote at a clients house or which van to use for trade work!? and if you did comment i dont think anyone would come and tell you off! If you dont like different sections then why is there different sections to the forums then ie, woodturning, finishing, metal work etc shouldn't that all be in one forum?

I like the idea of a Trade forum.

I can't see why it should upset anyone. We separate out the forums for woodturning, scrolling etc. Why not a separate one for trade pro's?

Is it perhaps a touchy subject because of the word 'Professional'?

If hobbyists find that threatening then they need to get out more. Likewise if the professionals think that they have a monopoly on talent or ability then they need to wake up.

We all know the word refers to nothing other than the fact that for some of us it's our profession - the way we earn our living.

Well, I'm certainly not trade, and not at all offended by the first post, well maybe I was for 10mS but seems clear the post was made in good humour.
Also I don't think there was any question of not wanting to associate with the hobbyists or DIYers, just a question of quickly finding trade related discussions. topics could include business admin, marketing, building regs, employment law, design, products and maybe even a few questions about joinery. Seems like a good idea for a separate area to me, and I'd probably scan it for items of interest in the same way I do with all the other sections.

This is a friendly forum where the people in the trade and more experienced amateurs help beginners with their problems, now you want to come in and create some kind of VIP room where us amateurs can just look in at the big boys with there shiny machines, and wish they would only just talk to us or throw some crumbs in our direction, NO THANKS!

Its to much of a nice place to let that happen.

Pete

cornishjoinery":1dwdpprc said:
wow someone's got a hang up about not being in the trade! and AGAIN why would you comment on going to quote at a clients house or which van to use for trade work!? and if you did comment i dont think anyone would come and tell you off! If you dont like different sections then why is there different sections to the forums then ie, woodturning, finishing, metal work etc shouldn't that all be in one forum?

how do you know who's in the trade ? A member who has had lots of different trades in their home may offer more relevant info to a question than another trades man , I may sell or have used a certain van so my input into which van to use maybe more relevant than a trade members comment.

Nothing against trade discussions I just don't see why or how a trade only section would work .
If the OP really feels theres a place for a trade forum then maybe he should start his own trade forum from scratch.

wow Pete, who the hell said anything about VIP Room! just a separate section for trade guys to discuss trade topics, everyone will still contribute in the main forum, how do you think woodturners feel about being put in their own section, i bet they are all crying at home! People have some real hung ups about professional woodworkers! sorry that i went to college and made a career, should have stayed at home and watched Jeremy Kyle.

well who do you know is a woodturner or metal worker, how do i know that you know anything about woodworking and any building regulations, saw set, window construction etc that you comment on our correct! giving people dud info can cause serious injuries, shall we all provide the relevant qualifications before we sign up? Anyone can comment on any part of the forum it would just be cool to have a small section for trade discussions, i literally cant see what is up with that?

clk230":1ji0nwzj said:
I just don't see why or how a trade only section would work .

It would work in the same way all the other forums work (that's the 'how') People start threads and others join in if they are interested or want to contribute to the discussion. (Thats the 'why')

If no-one cares then it'll be a dry and barren place, bereft of banter and rows over why Toolstation is better than Screwfix etc etc. But us Trade blokes will still check in now and again with our knackered site chisels and rusty block planes, supping over sweetened tea from crusty edged mugs.

I'm getting all emotional now. :cry:

Ok lets look at this a different way , what questions would you like to be discussed that can't be discussed in the current rooms ?

Posted same time as Zed (p.s thanks for the wood :) )

I understand where cornishjoinery is coming from, if you are a self employed tradesman, then it can be a bit of a lonely game sometimes not having "colleagues" to directly bounce ideas off, run ideas by, check you haven't messed a quote up, check you are doing it the most cost efficient way etc etc.

On the flip side of the coin though, even in trade only forums you still get comments in threads where the poster has misunderstood the point, doesn't get what you mean, is adamant they know best or is just a troll so you have to be selective in your reading of replies, so you could just ask your questions on the existing forums and take the good and the bad, generally speaking from what I have read here, most people don't comment if they have nothing to offer to the discussion but there are a lot of people here with a vast knowledge and experience who could have just what you are looking for.

Back