Professional forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clk230":agqury38 said:
Ok lets look at this a different way , what questions would you like to be discussed that can't be discussed in the current rooms ?

Posted same time as Zed (p.s thanks for the wood :) )

Well it's very difficult for professional woodworkers to talk about the young groupies which hang around the workshop doors, I get sick and tired of constantly having little skimpy thongs thrown through the window................... then there are the secret government subsidies we receive, honestly I need someone to talk to about what to spend it all on, I can only drive so many Ferrari's, and then there is the ............ no I can't mention it, you would think I was making it up.

Fwiw I didn't think the op was particularly insulting, I think it was meant in a light hearted way. But don't really see the need for separate section, you couldn't stop non professionals posting in there (nor would you want to) so would be fairly meaningless anyhow.

It was never intended to be insulting to anyone, it was always in good humour. The reason i ask for trade section is the topics would all be related. I like the projects page but again its filled with stuff that doesn't interest me, i like to see fitted kitchens, built in wardrobes etc.

cornishjoinery":1hoqy9b2 said:
It was never intended to be insulting to anyone, it was always in good humour. The reason i ask for trade section is the topics would all be related. I like the projects page but again its filled with stuff that doesn't interest me, i like to see fitted kitchens, built in wardrobes etc.

Surely sub dividing the forum wouldn't make anything appear? If existing members want to post fitted kitchens and wardrobes they can - and have.

BugBear

cornishjoinery":2kh4btr5 said:
i like to see fitted kitchens, built in wardrobes etc.

I like to see my neighbour cleaning the loft window whilst nude, she doesn't know I can see her.

n0legs":2keaswlm said:
cornishjoinery":2keaswlm said:

I like to see my neighbour cleaning the loft window whilst nude, she doesn't know I can see her.

It's exactly that sort of comment that makes this Forum so......

....bloody amusing!! =D> =D>

n0legs":d3sd1m9v said:
cornishjoinery":d3sd1m9v said:

Everyone has a hobby, but curious as to why you take your clothes off and watch your neighbour? :shock: :lol:

cornishjoinery":va2gi2f3 said:
well who do you know is a woodturner or metal worker, how do i know that you know anything about woodworking and any building regulations, saw set, window construction etc that you comment on our correct! giving people dud info can cause serious injuries, shall we all provide the relevant qualifications before we sign up? Anyone can comment on any part of the forum it would just be cool to have a small section for trade discussions, i literally cant see what is up with that?

If it's SO important to know who's who then there's no point in wasting time on a forum where anyone can post anything without "proving" they know what they are talking about. Having said that, it doesn't take long to discover whether they're talking sense or cr*p.

The whole thing is a storm in a teacup. If you're not interested in a particular subject then don't read it. If you don't like the posts of specific members then ignore them. If you don't want to read a shed build 'cos you have business premises then look the other way. There are many general posts regarding rates, building control, vehicles, machinery etc. and thousands on tools and techniques which are of interest to everyone. I actually sold one of my vans to a member on here.

I'm a recently retired "tradesman" who earned my living through my building company but along with the usual construction, kitchens, doors and wardrobes etc I'm a lifelong and experienced woodworker, I've learned a lot on here and also hopefully helped a few and I've disagreed with the views of many - THAT'S WHAT THIS FORUM IS ALL ABOUT, IS IT NOT?

I wasn't offended by your post btw though did think you might have phrased it better. :wink:

cheers
Bob

doctor Bob":3a5ni4yh said:
n0legs":3a5ni4yh said:
cornishjoinery":3a5ni4yh said:

Everyone has a hobby, but curious as to why you take your clothes off and watch your neighbour? :shock: :lol:

+1
You beat me to it but it's a mental picture I'm trying desperately to erase from my mind :lol:

I have no problem about people earning a living working with wood describing themselves as tradesmen , but they are not professionals.
A professional is someone who is a member of a professional body and could not practice if they were not.

Some tradesmen are so bad they are only there as the alternative is being out of work.
Earning a living at it does not mean you are in any way skilled.

Having said that there are a number of highly skilled folks here who let their abilities talk for them, regardless of where they earn a wage.

Zeddedhed":2whh2y2r said:
rows over why Toolstation is better than Screwfix etc etc

That's easy: the queue is usually shorter.

Even so, the tradesmen that frequent our nearest Toolstation are amongst the most unprofessional people I've ever encountered. They usually turn up having no idea what they want, spend ages going through the catalogue and make up a handwritten order, then get half of it changed when it arrives or ask the lass behind the counter if it's the right thing for whatever they're attacking today, or stand there, still thumbing through, while we all wait for lightning to strike (I wish!). And then the mobile goes off...

Meanwhile, as ours is almost a drive-through, there are two or three cross cars and vans trying to squeeze onto the forecourt because they didn't move the van up the line when earlier customers drove off and now they're blocking most of the parking.

I now go at 7AM if I can, to avoid all that. And I have an online order code ready on my phone screen when the roller shutter goes up.

You, sir, are evidently a professional, but they're definitely trade-only!

E.

Lons is right, we occasionally get a dreamer who is up stairs in his mums house sitting in his underpants writing a load of old cack.

cool lets forget about it then, no worries. will look to be setting up a forum site soon, so will post a link to it when set up, cheers

The OED gives this definition (amongst others)

Professional

"Engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as an amateur."

For example - Harold Shipman.

I think we can all agree that there are many professionals who are utter dung at what they do. It's still their profession though. Skill has nothing to do with it. A lot of the 'amateurs' on here are far better than I'll ever be. But I'm still a professional joiner/Carpenter/maker.

lurker":1f9e311m said:
I have no problem about people earning a living working with wood describing themselves as tradesmen , but they are not professionals.
A professional is someone who is a member of a professional body and could not practice if they were not.

:lol: Not strictly true as if you look in enough places there are various definitions e.g.

Full Definition of PROFESSIONAL
a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

Many of the "professional" sportsmen will be members of union or trade bodies but not obliged to be in order to work. And there are many self employed woodworkers, builders, painters etc who are registered with the relevant bodies and others in the gas, oil and electrical trades who have no option.
There are also many, many "professional" teachers, solicitors, doctors, dentists, financial advisors etc who very definitely act in non "professional" manner.

Some tradesmen are so bad they are only there as the alternative is being out of work. Earning a living at it does not mean you are in any way skilled.

Agreed but read my comment above as not exclusive to "tradesmen" and being qualified in a "profession" does not mean they practice what they've learned either.

Having said that there are a number of highly skilled folks here who let their abilities talk for them, regardless of where they earn a wage.

Absolutely =D>

cornishjoinery":zh8srf6m said:
cool lets forget about it then, no worries. will look to be setting up a forum site soon, so will post a link to it when set up, cheers

Look forward to it and will certainly have a butchers.

Like most regulars on here, I always look at new posts, rarely through the board index. But the UK is missing a forum that relates to joinery and cabinetmaking for the trade. Woodweb is a great US site and Ive come across many useful threads about trade matters. Unfortunately the language, trade products etc are are so very different its hard to understand. If a forum was available in the UK that could be a really useful resource and community. In reality, I think the sector is too small in this country to support such a forum on its own, but I could certainly see a trade talk section on this forum could be very successful.

RobinBHM":2z3ww7om said:
Like most regulars on here, I always look at new posts, rarely through the board index. But the UK is missing a forum that relates to joinery and cabinetmaking for the trade. Woodweb is a great US site and Ive come across many useful threads about trade matters. Unfortunately the language, trade products etc are are so very different its hard to understand. If a forum was available in the UK that could be a really useful resource and community. In reality, I think the sector is too small in this country to support such a forum on its own, but I could certainly see a trade talk section on this forum could be very successful.

Jedi - style comment Robin. Couldn't agree more.

Latest posts

Back