precision spacer blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @pe2dave, that would be ideal, but without having any machinery to cut the blocks to an exact dimension, could you suggest how I can create blocks of identical measurements plz?
Following the method in the video, create one block, at least twice the length of the wanted block (guess 2"). A longer piece is easier to work. Plane it down to approx the size wanted then sand the remaining bit? Then saw in two to create two identical blocks. Not too hard for a short length?

Thanks @pe2dave, that would be ideal, but without having any machinery to cut the blocks to an exact dimension, could you suggest how I can create blocks of identical measurements plz?
You buy stuff of known thickness and just cut off bits to suit. Ply comes in a lot of thicknesses and you can buy small pieces on ebay and from craft shops.

Accurately ground steel strip is available as "ground flat stock" down to 1mm in thickness and up to 36" in length, this may suit your application:-

Ground flat stock

Cheers all,

I really like the idea of the Ulmia strip cutter, but it's out of my price range unfortunately.

Hopefully, I have a solution??:
I spoke to a joiner who is undertaking a few jobs at my place of work & he has a small Axninster bandsaw that he is willing to bring to site, so I am hoping to cut a selection of spacers from some ash strips that I have in stock.

Due to my lack of experience, I'm not sure how accurate the bandsaw will be, but it's definately worth a go.

Again, many thanks for all your advice.

Back