Veneer vacuum press advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time since the original question, but thought I'd chuck my two pennorth in...
My first marquetry press was just two rectangles of thickish ply, with a couple of straight bearers screwed underneath and another two placed across the top. I planed the top pair from the middle outwards, so when turned upside down, a fair bit of pressure would be applied. Coach bolts through them all, and wingnuts to tighten. Simple, but effective.
I picked up an old letter press for a song a few years later, and again two rectangles of ply could be used to sandwich the work. Got to watch that your work doesn't get moved though - spinning the central screw handle down slowly seemed to be the answer.
As regards the vacuum idea, I did try a poor-man's version - household bags, used for storing bedding, clothing and the like - dirt cheap and easily available. Ordinary vacuum cleaner nozzle over the bag's one-way valve, and you'll see the air being sucked out. You then have to be quick to screw the valve cap down! It did work to a degree, but of course you haven't got a constant (near)vacuum because the cleaner is disconnected and eventually air does get back in.

Back