Headband Magnifier/Glasses with LED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All ,

With Christmas looming and my eyesight failing a little bit, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality craft headband magnifier or similar glasses (with LED) that i could ask for as a gift, rather than receiving the generic socks and body wash boxset?

I create mainly marquetry pictures as well as alot of parquetry and my prescription glasses arent really adequate, & I would like higher magnification lenses, that i could swap and change when necessary.

I have previously bought a cheapish set from amazon, which I have used on several occasions and they kind of do the job, but the lenses aren't great, leaving the image of the project slightly distorted/hazy.

I really don't know where to start looking for a quality product online, so if anyone here has product or brand recommendations, it would be gtreatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Simon

Forgot the pic sorry

Attachments

• 0A310993-BD3B-4565-B6F1-865EEF36BA19.png
    0A310993-BD3B-4565-B6F1-865EEF36BA19.png
    626.9 KB · Views: 0
I've used OptiVisor magnifiers for soldering and electronics work. They look bulky but are extremely comfortable, especially if you already wear spectacles. You can buy different magnification lenses that are interchangeable with the main unit, as well as other accessories such as flip down loupes, but I've not used those myself. They are definitely not cheap, around £70 for one pair and around £30-40 for each additional lenses you want. They don't have an LED light I'm afraid so you will need to use a different light source or get creative with a small maglite and duct tape.

Thanks HowdyNeighbour!

I'll check out your recommendation, as I would rather have a quality product that is tried and tested and can potentially add lenses to the basic product when necessary.

All the best
Simon

Cheers Bingy man,

Please let me know what you think about the product when you recieve it.

i'm not sure if I have a problem at my end, but I cant see the product that you are recommending?

Thanks for the input.
Simon
Search 107724 on Axminster website-comes with additional lenses and has a built in led -will let you know how they are . Made by light craft

Thanks everyone,
I have tried a clip on magnifying glass, but I didn't get on with it for some reason, so would definitely want to go down the headband or similar route.

Thanks again
Simon

Good morning Sihollies, I too suffer from old fellas sight nowadays, so I bought the same magnifier as Bingyman but from Amazon, same price as Axminster. They work quite well, the 1x and1.5x lenses being very useful. The higher power lenses are not as useful due to the focal length requiring you to get very close to the workpiece, not too bad for soldering but no use for scroll sawing etc. They are comfortable to wear not heavy and are easily adjustable to fit. The lenses are not overly robust, I dropped a chisel on mine accidentally and the retaining lug on the lense snapped off making it unusable, but thats my fault not the lenses!. I am now looking for a bench magnifier for my scrollsaw as I personally prefer that type of magnifier to the headband type, but that is my personal preference, not me advocating one type over another.
John

Another vote for the anglepoise type, having the light is essential, they are pretty useless without.

I bought a set of these about a year ago specifically for close up work where I had to go to the workpiece as my eyes aren't quite what they once were and although I haven't used the specs daily, I've had a fair bit of use out of them since buying them and for fiddly jobs etc where a convenient varying degree of magnified image would help, they are the first 'tool' I reach for.
The inbuilt light also helps. I've found them excellent both regarding value and practicality and they only cost about £11.00 at the time of purchasing so hardly wallet destroying. Definitely well worth the investment even if only used occasionally.

I notice they are out of stock at the moment but when I bought mine there were many similar versions on the market to choose from which only differed with regard to branding or pricing.

Rbenxia LED Illuminated Headband Magnifier, Upgraded Headband Interchangeable Eyeglasses Bracket Head Mount Magnifying Glasses for Reading, Jewelry, Electronic Repair 5 Replaceable Lenses : Amazon.co.uk: Stationery & Office Supplies

I also have an anglepoise type light with built in light which is very useful too so between both optical devices, I don't have to struggle and stain my eyes.

A simpler way would be to go the specsavers or similar and they can provide a higher magnification lens that is plus 1 or 2 or something that has a stronger magnification at the distance you want from your head ie 15" or whatever. You can take these on and off and swap with your normal glasses. I have some for really close up work. If you go for the cheapest range of glasses the cost will be minimal

having the light is essential, they are pretty useless without.
This is just one of the things that has to be tried to decide if that's the case or not.

I own a headband type with the light (very similar to the one from Axminster LightCraft Professional LED Headband Magnifier) and found that:
1. I never use its light. Prefer something external
2. not happy about its weight
3. due to its price I feel the need to store it properly so it is never handy
4. I always use the same lens (3.5x), so it does not matter how easy or hard to change it or how many lenses included.

Lately I was thinking of getting something like this instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H4ZZSCL/
- it is cheap, so no problem to store in a harsh environment, always within reach ( I could even get several of these if first one was satisfactory)
- it looks much lighter than the one I currently own
1664962438518.png

My one (potential) concern about the cheap amazon option - is lens quality. But I won't know if it is OK or not until I tried it with my own eyes.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I truly appreciate it.

Bingy man: I look forward to your thoughts on the product you have purchased from axminster, as it looks ideal and a reasonable cost too, but the slimline headband suggested my Fleyh looks pretty promising also.

There were a couple of recommendations, suggesting that a 'anglepoise' magnifying glass may do the job, but as stated previously, I have tried this product previously and we didnt 'get on', but will dig out the one I bought and will try again.

I will post my findings when I have decided and tested my option to help anyone else who may be in a similar situation in the future

Again. many, many thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations.

Simon

I got some workshop glasses made. The optician (non chain) asked a lot of Qs and said let me work something out, extending the range of sharpness with my eyes adjusting depth of field. I finished up with occupational varifocals (wide varifocal bit) that, together with my eye focussing, let me see sharp from about 150mm (read a vernier) to just under 1M. Excellent! If i really need to get closer i bought some clip ons, look like frameless spectacles without side pieces, that flip up when not needed - 3 diopters I think - proper lenses made of glass, cost about a tenner some years ago.
Cheapie alternative is a pair of supermarket readers ofteh highest strength; wife uses these for embroidery - cost about 2 quid in lidl.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I truly appreciate it.

Bingy man: I look forward to your thoughts on the product you have purchased from axminster, as it looks ideal and a reasonable cost too, but the slimline headband suggested my Fleyh looks pretty promising also.

There were a couple of recommendations, suggesting that a 'anglepoise' magnifying glass may do the job, but as stated previously, I have tried this product previously and we didnt 'get on', but will dig out the one I bought and will try again.

I will post my findings when I have decided and tested my option to help anyone else who may be in a similar situation in the future

Again. many, many thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations.

Simon
Hi Simon , recently received my headband magnifying lens from axi, not actually used it doing woodwork as yet but here’s my 1st thoughts 1- very light and has adjustable head band and the light itself, 2 - 5 lenses supplied. 3- two lenses can be used in combination. 4- very comfortable to wear ( left it on for over an hour and almost forgot I was wearing it .) 5-I can now read the smallest print easily eg the dimension marks on a ruler and the tiny holes in my incra rulers etc. so in summary I’m looking forward to using it in the workshop and for the cost - half price atm ( around £22) you can’t go wrong. use the built in light in combination with the angle poise lamp mentioned in previous posts and I think it’s a game changer for my poor eyesight. I’ll post another reply once I’ve used them in the workshop environment. Not sure how long the offer is on at axi but for the cost if you don’t like them it’s an easy sell.

Many Thanks Bingy man,

Just from your very first impressions and the reduction in cost from Axi, I will certainly buy the headset and give it a go.

Many thanks to you all for your contribution.

Simon

Many Thanks Bingy man,

Just from your very first impressions and the reduction in cost from Axi, I will certainly buy the headset and give it a go.

Many thanks to you all for your contribution.

Simon
It’s a pleasure to help , my own eyesight is pretty poor tbh but the fact I could easily pick out the 1/2 mm marks on a ruler let alone the 1mm then they will hopefully serve me well, wearing anything on my head-glasses, head torch even hats has always been a problem but these were so lightweight and comfortable I think you too will benefit. Good luck .

Latest posts

Back