precision spacer blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all,

I am hoping that someone can please advise.
I am a hobbyist who enjoys making veneer parquetry using very primitve methods.
Currently I use metal washers or nuts of the same size pushed against a straightedge which my rule rests upon to try and produce a consitent width of veneer prior to me cutting the angles.
This method is pretty hit and miss, as the spacers I use arent exactly precise, and was wondering if someone here could please advise if there is a product that I can buy that consists of precise spacers of differing sizes/widths which will allow me to cut accurate strips of veneer??

In essence, can I buy a variety of precise spacers of different sizes, that I can use as spacers??

Sorry if the above is 'as clear as mud', but couldnt think of the words to make it clearer 😁

Many thanks in advance
Simon

I’d look for a carp set of engineers slip gauges on an auction site. I say carp, as you’re not interested if they’re worn….ie a micron or two out in size😂😂

Or maybe
15pcs Gauge Block Set Aluminum Alloy Height Gauge Block High Precision Setup Bars Portable Testing Gauge Block Measuring Tool for Router and Table Saw Woodworking Accessories Aluminum Alloy Height https://amzn.eu/d/3VZEzT4

I’d look for a carp set of engineer's slip gauges

The challenge with this approach is it is quite difficult to make more than one spacer of the same thickness. There is a bit of thinking involved in selecting block combinations to achieve this.

---

An easy and cheap source of multiple copies of the same dimension object are drill bits, available in 0.1mm increments. You just have to think of a way to deal with the round shape.

As above, you need to state the dimension range and size increment you require.

The glazing packers go from 1mm to 6mm in 1mm steps so the nearest millimetre is the best you can achieve. U packers come in 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 10mm so you can achieve 0.5mm resolution. One or more layers of masking tape to achive a dimension increment less than this.

There's plenty of varieties and different thicknesses of manufactured sheet material around, wood, plastic, metal etc. Save a few bits and cut them to size? You could mark them for reference.
I've used bits of formica to level up for things. About 1mm? Or MFC at 15mm etc etc. Many different thicknesses of ply, mdf, etc just save some off-cuts and check them with a vernier calliper.
Free offcuts and a cheap calliper: Magnusson Vernier Callipers 6" (150mm) - Screwfix

Last edited:
Many thanks for your input everyone.

All your suggestions are great and have been taken onboard.

I will let you know my choice after trying a couple of the options suggested.

Thanks again,
Simon

If I understand your description you’re cutting strips of veneer and want the edges parallel. Have you thought of using a cutting gauge?
Veneer on top of board, edge of veneer lined up to edge of board, cutting gauge run along edge of board. Fully adjustable so can fine tune width of strip

Thanks TOM & ajs,

Yes, to answer your question, I am wanting to cut accurate strips of veneer.
As stated previously, I have been using metal nuts and washers that I have matched using a micrometer to cut a parallel piece of veneer against a straightedge.
After doing so, I have a small veneer guillotine that I use to cut the 60 / 45 etc degree angles for the individual pieces of parquetry.
It's obviously essential that all the angles and other dimensions are 'spot on' while making parquetry as the technique isn't forgiving at all, especially if one is making larger sheets of a design.
I do have a system that works, but am just wanting to upgrade.
I have included a photo which illustrates the strip of veneer and the individual pieces of the veneer after cutting it to the correct size/angle along with a final parquetry motif to perhaps show what I want to achieve.

I am only a hobbyist, so please excuse my inaccuracies.

Many thanks again,
Simon

Attachments

• 20230708_173327.jpg
    20230708_173327.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 0
Why not steel shim sheet

The difficulty with that is it would be expensive to buy a variety of thicknesses in small quantity. Compare and contrast with what you get with two sets of feeler gauges (£9 total from Screwfix).

Sounds like a natural job for engineer's parallels

They only come in 1/8" increments, so quite a coarse resolution.

Seems like you’re doing this approach and want something to substitute for the box of offcuts

Using a cutting gauge would be a different technique, but obviates the need for spacers.

If you want spacers - I’d go for offcuts sawn,planed, sanded to the thicknesses you need. If you make a new spacer for each project and label them, you’ll soon build up a stock of your most frequently used sizes.
Being timber there’ll also be tuneable to the project vs using preset widths in slip gauges.

A vernier calliper will help you make sure you’re very near, and be useful for your projects too.

Thanks again for your input,

Yes, @pe2dave, I am wanting to cut exact widths of pre-bought leaves of veneer. (standard 0.6mm)

I use exactly the same methhod that is shown in the video, but currently use a couple of steel nuts or washers that I have matched to each other using a digital vernier caliper.

I agree that a large selection of wooden spacers would be ideal, but unfortunately I dont have the hardware to create them, as I am only a hobbyist, with a very limited selection of hand tools, so that is the reason I had an interest in buying a suitable product.

I have used my current technicque for many years, with success, but got it in my head that I needed an upgrade, but perhaps i'm mistake??

I agree that a large selection of wooden spacers would be ideal, but unfortunately I dont have the hardware to create them, as I am only a hobbyist, with a very limited selection of hand tools, so that is the reason I had an interest in buying a suitable product.
You could follow the suggestion in the video and build up your collection of blocks as you need them?

Back