PPL and PRS Radios in the workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had a very rude woman on the phone from the artists licencing people PPL.

http://www.ppluk.com/

I have been told even though I work on my own I can not have a radio in the workshop unless I give them lots of money.

I had PRS on to me a month or so ago and was told that as I worked alone I did not need a licence as long as any customers could not hear the radio.

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

What the hell is going on, turns out that you have to have a licence from both lots of people.

While I support artists rights and think they should be paid for public broadcasts, this is really going to far.

Tom

Unbelievable
LOL

Pass it on to the Sun and or the daily mail and let them run with it LOL

I await my phone call with interest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roger

It has been the law for a while but has generally been turned I blind eye to.

It will have cost the artists money from me as I tend to buy music I have heard on the radio as I am now been targeted by these people I won't listen anymore and therefore not buy any cd's.

I suppose it means I may be able to save up for the extra tools I don't really need but would like anyway now.

Tom

PRS don't charge, its PPL who do and at £116 I can't afford it, I guess that their staff are pushing for a pay rise or the POP STARS need a new boat.

Tom

I had this about a while ago the end result is I dont need a licence.

I work on my own and I am not broadcasting it to others as I dont have visitors in the workshop so after telling them all this in a lengthy letter I said I would pass any further demands onto my solicitor and would see them in court, the next letter said I didnt need a licence.

john

Both organisations are ‘not for profit’ and only deduct a small administration/commission fee to cover operating costs

.... small? I bet! :wink: Sounds (!) like a nice little earner to me :D

I am not sure.

I think they are just trolling the yellow pages for revenue.

I thought we had laws in this country to stop companies like this demanding money with menaces.

Anyone who is in the music industry and is getting their royalites through PPL and is on this site should be ashamed of the industry they are in.

As they are a nasty company similar to the companies that prey on little old ladies and will not leave until they have got their life savings.

Tom

If the entertainment industries weren't so rich and still greedy for more there'd be more sympathy regarding piracy [and royalties], from me anyway. Whether they're the genuine PPL or otherwise it's a scam. I'd just say I don't listen and tell them to get stuffed.

monkeybiter":2w5fkf9g said:
If the entertainment industries weren't so rich and still greedy for more there'd be more sympathy regarding piracy [and royalties], from me anyway. Whether they're the genuine PPL or otherwise it's a scam. I'd just say I don't listen and tell them to get stuffed.

+1

I'd be telling them to get suffed as well - greedy robbing b******* guess they're squeezing the genuine guys to pay for the people who download illegally.

I had a similar "nazi style" approach from the environmental agency a couple of years ago who insisted that I was legally obliged to have either a waste carrier or waste management licence and MUST register. Seems you can't remove and transport anything at all from a job even if it's for re-use or recycle (the example was a perfectly good door I replaced for a customer and removed to use on my daughters house. They said I couldn't have even used the hinges or handles. Can't even save up the scrap copper or brass taps etc to weigh in without the certificate). - yeah right!!!!

Anyway, after telling them to go forth etc. and making threats about letters to MPs and media coverage, they backed off.

Interesting that the signature on the initial letter was from the "revenues manager" and that they were working down the list of legitimate businesses instead of chasing the gypsies and fly tippers and irritating that they have regular joint sroties with the police to capture honest tradesmen :roll:

rant over

Bob

Hi Bob

I started this thread about the radio in the workshop.

Don't even think about getting me started on getting rid of waste :evil: :evil:

I have to register for waste solvents, the companies who collect will only collect 100 litres or more, I have now produced 10 litres in 5 years so in 50 years time I will have make the call for them to collect it.

I now send all my shavings to a local farm for the cattle court and as they have chickens I get PAID in eggs so therefore it is a product.

Same with the fire wood.

And the rest is collected and when I have enough I get a skip, which when full is pressed down with the loader on the farm here to make sure I can get as much in as I can.

Now see what you have done :x :x

Tom

As other have already said.... this is how I understand it.

You need a licence for music if it is not a personal stereo, by this I mean headphones and if there is more than one person working there or you have visitors you need one.

If you do not work with anyone else and do not have any visitors you can play music as loud as you want and not have to pay a charge. One might argue in the future though..... that surely you need a TV Licence to have a radio for one person. If that did come into force though, cars would need tv licences also..... and the world will have gone mad! Or at least this country!

Here's a point. If you drive down the street in the summer, windows down, music blaring...... surely you must pay for a public licence as the general public can also hear it? A driving offence would probably be more appropriate though as it shouldn't be that loud in a car in the first place!

That is how I understood it, but this PPL lot are wanting you to have licence even if you have workshop in the middle of nowehere with no chance of anyone coming in.

They are just a bunch of scam artists and as I have said before any artist that is linked to them should really be ashamed.

They are based in the centre of London W1 and they must be coining it in to afford to be there and giving very little to the lesser known artists who they are making a big thing about helping.

Tom

I've looked briefly through all their rules (which seem to me draconian) but I see no definition anywhere of "music". Can you see any? If not I wonder if this is wriggle room for clever council?

tomatwark":dp30guwa said:
Hi Bob

I started this thread about the radio in the workshop.

Don't even think about getting me started on getting rid of waste :evil: :evil:

I have to register for waste solvents, the companies who collect will only collect 100 litres or more, I have now produced 10 litres in 5 years so in 50 years time I will have make the call for them to collect it.

I now send all my shavings to a local farm for the cattle court and as they have chickens I get PAID in eggs so therefore it is a product.

Same with the fire wood.

And the rest is collected and when I have enough I get a skip, which when full is pressed down with the loader on the farm here to make sure I can get as much in as I can.

Now see what you have done :x :x

Tom

#-o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laughing but it really isn't funny.

What got me going though wasn't the fact they were trying to get £300 off me. it was the way they did it.
The initial letter was like a debt collection summons and was intimidating. they followed up with another even more so and the exchange of emails and then 'phone conversations were arrogant and verging on abusive. They told me it was a legal requirement to register but backed off when I demanded the number of the act and said I would speak to Alan Beith and that I wouldn't be carrying or managing waste and they could shove their licence into some unmentionable dark abyss :) Little hitlers - Not going to mention it again :)

You live in a great part of the country Tom - I know the borders quite well, spent many happy days in the area caravanning, fishing and visiting relatives in Gallashiels and Norham. Used to pitch our van right on the bank of the Tweed in Coldsteam and other half would read her book and watch me in the river casting a fly but catching nowt :? - that was 30 years ago when it was just a field.

Bob

So what would be the ruling on mobile phones?

i.e.
I often listen to radio on my iphone (using the internal speaker - not earphones) and I know others who do the same. If it is in earshot other people then presumably a licence is required?

Latest posts

Back