PPL and PRS Radios in the workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,
I suggest that you rig up a switch on the workshop door and another on the phone, to cut off the radio. It is then unlikely that anyone will catch you with it playing if they call or visit.

Bob

jpt":3onfnqdh said:
I had this about a while ago the end result is I dont need a licence.

I work on my own and I am not broadcasting it to others as I dont have visitors in the workshop so after telling them all this in a lengthy letter I said I would pass any further demands onto my solicitor and would see them in court, the next letter said I didnt need a licence.

john

I suspect some other people on this forum wouldn't mind seeing a "suitably redacted" scan of that letter.

It sounds horribly like they're "trying it on", with a good chance of getting money.

BugBear

Hi Bob

I like it up here, moved up form Co Durham about 6 years ago.

Not sure what the rules are about mobiles, you can listen to an I Pod etc through ear pieces, I would buy a little radio and do this but the reception is not good in the village.

Just come back from Norham where I am fitting a kitchen I have made for a customer there.

Tom

tomatwark":1mi3ufxo said:
Just come back from Norham where I am fitting a kitchen I have made for a customer there.

Tom

So did your client have a license or did you fit the kitchen in silence? :lol:

Well I have today had a visit from a lady from the TV Licensing Authority regarding the TV Licence that I apparently require for my business premises as apparently I watch the TV in my workshop.

I have never had a TV in my workshop

I do not have a TV ariel on my workshop

I dont even have a land line phone in my workshop.

The nosy cow demanded that she could access my premises and even asked where I had hidden the TV?, Luckily I turned the radio off before she came in!

After she spent about twenty minutes looking everywhere accepted that there is no TV but stated that she would randomly call to check again and tried leaving me with an application form for the TV licence she still stated that I needed.

At this point I lost my rag, screwed the bloody form up and asked her what part of I didn't bloody have one didn't she get! - She left stating that she was going to report me to the Police for being threatening and abusive.

Where the hell do these lot get off!

Sorry Rant over but she left me fuming and it takes quite a lot to get me riled.

The TV licensing people don't actually have any right to enter your premises. Some people actually have written to them revoking their right (which by default is assumed to be granted) to come to your front door !

Dodge":ad7929vp said:
Well I have today had a visit from a lady from the TV Licensing Authority regarding the TV Licence that I apparently require for my business premises as apparently I watch the TV in my workshop.

I have never had a TV in my workshop

I do not have a TV ariel on my workshop

I dont even have a land line phone in my workshop.

The nosy cow demanded that she could access my premises and even asked where I had hidden the TV?, Luckily I turned the radio off before she came in!

After she spent about twenty minutes looking everywhere accepted that there is no TV but stated that she would randomly call to check again and tried leaving me with an application form for the TV licence she still stated that I needed.

At this point I lost my rag, screwed the bloody form up and asked her what part of I didn't bloody have one didn't she get! - She left stating that she was going to report me to the Police for being threatening and abusive.

Where the hell do these lot get off!

Sorry Rant over but she left me fuming and it takes quite a lot to get me riled.

I certainly know that feeling! I've had lots (double figures) of abusive letters and threats from TV Licencing too including missed visits apparently. Strange consdiering that my house hadn't been built at the time. Ended up writing to the local MP at the time so eventually got an apology letter and more importantly - no further interference. I also wrote to TV licencing informing them I had withdrawn their implied right of access. It works something along the line of they should no longer visit the property unless enacting a warrant or whatever right they have to visit the house. If they do breach this it is then trespass. TBH I am not too concerned about the detail - I was so fuming I was being particulalry petty and it helped calm me down.

Just seen Lee's post above - I am one of those people! TV licencing, as an agency, don't even come around themsleves anymore. It is another subcontracted agency, G4S or similar I think, so instead of somebody that could have viewed my TV licence or looked at the receipt proving it had been paid, you get a mindless drone, unempowered and uncapable of performing any worthwhile service other than, attempting to threaten!

Anyway.. sorry so far off topic. perhaps you could tell these music-mercenaries to sod off in the same way!

Hi Rog

This country gets worse and worse.

I would call the police in the morning and report this woman to the police as in my eyes she was the one being abusive and threatening. This woman may not of been who she seemed and may have been casing the place.

If I get a similar visit I will take their car reg and call the police.

I do have a land line and broadband but do not watch live TV through it and do not need a TV licence.

Tom

Ignore them - I mean really ignore them and let them try and make a case (they won't and can't). PPL is a licence to play copyright material in a 'public' place. PRS is performing rights and I imagine you don't perform, not to a 'public' at least.
You are already paying for your right to listen to music in your workplace - every time a track is played on radio the artist gets a royalty. I know of a famous Welsh 3-piece (*) that recently received £110 for 1 quarter's airtime royalties. The money comes from the licence fee and from ad revenues. (That's why they talk so much on music radio, so they play fewer tracks - the old needle-time story.

They are desperate for revenues (by their own standards) and the music industry is no longer wealthy, but this is B0110CK8 :)

(OK, Stereophonics)

I had the same rubbish at my old works and i argued the toss with this dopey cow . I tried the human rights thing ,then for good measure i tried the ' i bet if i was a illegal immigrant you would pay for a radio and tune it in ' then i went down the road of saying i only listen to 'God botherers FM ' but no joy ,then i said ' why shoukd i pay to listen to records i dont like ? ' and then i out foxed the cow by saying ' would you go into a shop and buy a handbag you didn't like ?' to which after some badgering she replied 'no !' . There was even a case of a cattery owner who played the radio to keep his cats happy was collard by the 'license to print money group '
Stand firm . brothers of lumber !

I though that a radio was a receiving device not a transmitting device. Do I have to stop my wife "visiting" my workshop with a cup of coffee so I don't need a licence :lol:

It is amazing how many of these type of people there are around, I'm not sure how they manage to live with themselves, if I was that much of a small-minded, pathetic little creep I would have taken my own life years ago as I clearly didn't deserve a space on this lovely planet we live on.

Aidan

Ok, I was in the shed today and I was listening to Radio 4. I admit it. I was working and, I guess it must be part of my genetically criminal make up, but I thought nothing of working for financial gain while listening to "You and Yours".
On the face of it I wish I hadn't bothered ... if anything, they owe me.

Back