Power tool advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a variety of corded and cordless power tools of different brands, several of which are little bit bent or wobbly

Planning on replacing them with the following for a more comprehensive range of tools for a few home projects I have in mind

Makita 18v brushless circular saw
DHS680Z

Makita 18v short brushless drill driver
DDF083Z

Makita 18V BRUSHLESS DRILL DRIVER LXT
DDF481Z

Sander
Makita 18V RANDOM ORBIT SANDER 5"
DBO180Z

Dust extractor
Record power DX1000 Fine Filter 45 Litre Extractor - HPLV

Bandsaw
Record power BS350S Premium 14"

Jigsaw
Festool Trion PS300

Multi tool
DeWalt DCS355M2 18V Li-ion Cordless Brushless Oscillating Multi-Tool

I would appreciate any comments or advice about whether any of these choices are particularly bad purchases or have faults that I might not be aware of.

Eg I decided against the Makita jigsaw and multi tool as i had read some bad reviews about the soft start function on the Jigsaw and I dislike that the Makita multi tool doesn't have a trigger grip.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'd second MikeJhn's comment and go for the Sabre edition. The original record bandsaws were still good machines for the money but the Sabre editions look a real improvement on everything I would want to improve on my Record 300E bandsaw.

HTH

NeilS

I have the Makita DDF083Z and love it. It's so small, powerful and quick to change bits that the Festool drivers with their expensive centrotec bits don't get out much. The only downside is that it's so powerful for it's size and if like me you never use the clutch on drivers you find yourself snapping smaller screws at first.

I have the Trion jigsaw and it is fine but I don't use a jigsaw that much. I would get a Makita cordless if I was buying again as I would probably use it more if I didn't have to faff about plugging it in. The Trion is solid, I have had mine years, only complaint is you can't see the line you are cutting when you put the plastic cover on to help dust extraction but if you are cutting from below it obviously doesn't matter.

Doug

For the cordless stuff Id be heading for buying it all separate and brushless from powertoolmate who are the cheapest.

Go for makita or milwaukee.

I have the 2 Makita drills and can't fault either. The 481 will turn the world but it is big and heavy so the 083 sees most of the action (3-5mm pilot holes) and hasn't faultered yet. I've tried to get most of my bits with hex heads and stuck a Snappy chuck in the 481 so swapping them out is easy as pie.

Can't really comment on the Trion as not used it much yet. Attaching the hose and the plug-it cord can be a faff as they're fairly close to each other. This is in a CMS (the reason for getting a Trion) where space is tight and upside down.

I have a cordless Makita 182 jigsaw for quick and dirty cuts if that's the one you were meaning. It's pretty good for what it is, but it's meant to start slow and ramp up the motor once it hits wood. It does so most of the time but occasionally not. I think it has to do with feed rate; start too slow on a tricky bit and it just putters along until you put the foot down. Would still recommend it though as no wires on a jigsaw is great, the led is fine and the DC port can remain attached without getting in the road. It could do with a blower to clear the cut line when no DC is connected.

I recently swapped multitool and settled on the Dewalt. I've yet to use it in anger, however. If you want to use normal non quick change blades, you have to replace the blade holder... and bang goes the quick change feature until you swap it back in again. DeWalt quick change blades aren't the cheapest either! The various attachments for it are all fitted with screws which are mostly missing o-rings to stop them legging it across the floor, so you have to keep a beady eye on them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MikeJhn":snh1hlzl said:
Recently bought these and can't seem to put them down: https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dew ... t-Twin-Kit
Mike

I've the drill without the hammer - a cracking little tool. I have the jigsaw which is great except it needs a cable tie to keep the base from working loose - irritating as they have known about this for years.
I wouldn't now buy anything not brushless.

I have DHS680 circular saw, and I love it. Replaced older Makita BSS610 with brushless much lighter and a lot more powerful DHS680. DDF481 as someone said is a beast, but heavy, although lighter than DHP481 - same spec as DDF, but has hammer action. DBO180 does all I need from it on site too. In my opinion Makita is the best cordless tool platform at the moment, variety of tools that run of single or double 18v battery is just enormous.

Thanks for all your replies and advice

I've also been looking at the
DeWalt DCS575N 54v XR FLEXVOLT Cordless Brushless 190mm Circular Saw

Am I likely to see much noticeable difference compared to this on the Makita version. I appreciate it has a larger blade so can make a deeper cut

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back