Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got round to picking up learning woodturning again.

This is only the second thing I've ever made, a small shallow dish.

Was great fun to make, had a few catches when shaping the inside, think this was due to me having the bowl gauge at the wrong angle.

I got a few other bowl blanks so going to try making some different profiles.

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG

Mixed nut shells in resin. I learned a little from this one. The resin would not set in this batch. Too cold. My latest batch set very quickly after I sat the pressure pot on a beer-brewing mat which kept the temperature in the pot to around 30C. Also, I won't be including hazelnut shells in the mix. With the thin pen walls, there was not enough grab in the resin to adhere to the outer shell. In future, I'll try a Hazlenut shell-only mix but give them a few hours in a vibrating bath of crushed Walnuts to maybe 'key' the shiny surface and maybe remove any wax coating there might be. The batch I've just pulled out includes an Almond only casting. If it turns out (pun) I'll post that too.

20231223_131059.jpg

20231223_131041.jpg

Mixed nuts and brass bits in a silicone mould.

20231124_101012.jpg

Wiggly dog made from a bit of turkey oak from a tree i had to have felled as it grew too close to the house. The hinges are bicycle inner tube. The trickiest part was glueing the rubber into the saw cuts. I made a jig to stretch the rubber so it would fit in easily , then release it so it would expand and be a tight fit. i glued it in with epoxy.

Roughed out the blanks I glued together over the weekend, glued some more up and turned a cord pull from one of the blanks, quite happy with it, sanded to 320 and given a wax finish, plan to make a dozen or so at least to put in the shop, anyone any thoughts as to if I should provide a length of cord?
20240103_171237.jpg20240103_171311.jpg20240103_171342.jpg20240103_171203.jpg

Roughed out the blanks I glued together over the weekend, glued some more up and turned a cord pull from one of the blanks, quite happy with it, sanded to 320 and given a wax finish, plan to make a dozen or so at least to put in the shop, anyone any thoughts as to if I should provide a length of cord?
View attachment 173155View attachment 173154View attachment 173153View attachment 173156
View attachment 173157
Re the cord , I would say yes as it makes using the light pull easier for the buyer .

Roughed out yesterday's glue ups and turned a few more light pulls, really happy with them. The white wood was actually white until i sanded them and the mahogany dust got worked into itView attachment 173193View attachment 173194View attachment 173195View attachment 173196View attachment 173197View attachment 173198View attachment 173199View attachment 173200View attachment 173201
It may be worth experimenting sealing the items prior to sanding.
I think that may stop the dark mahogany sawdust filling the pores of the lighter timber

I thought I would post a few of my wifes pieces. She makes everythign as presents for friends and familly but is very shy about her skills.
These are lovely.
Where did you get the bottle stop hardware, if you don't mind me asking?

These are lovely.
Where did you get the bottle stop hardware, if you don't mind me asking?
They came from Taylors of Mirfield. We have been verry happy with the company and their products.
The bottle stoppers have a 10mm thread and she epoxies a threaded insert into the blank rather than threading the wood.

Back