Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate working with ebony - single pieces turn beautifully but joining pieces to make something like this is a real pain - the wood is so waxy/oily and has no real grain and 80 grit paper - Makes it like glass! . I variously used epoxy, and wood glue, and neither filled me with confidence it wouldn’t delaminate so shoved some brass rods through to see if that might help!

As you can see I didn’t even manage to evenly space the rods.

In the bright side, they are very hefty so won’t need to hit a chisel too hard!

Attachments

• IMG_3824.png
    IMG_3824.png
    222 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Se
I hate working with ebony - single pieces turn beautifully but joining pieces to make something like this is a real pain - the wood is so waxy/oily and has no real grain and 80 grit paper
Makes it like glass! . I variously used epoxy, and wood glue, and neither filled me with confidence it wouldn’t delaminate so shoved some brass rods through to see if that might help!

In the bright side, that are very hefty so won’t need to hit a chisel too hard!
Serious wallopers

I hate working with ebony - single pieces turn beautifully but joining pieces to make something like this is a real pain - the wood is so waxy/oily and has no real grain and 80 grit paper
Makes it like glass! . I variously used epoxy, and wood glue, and neither filled me with confidence it wouldn’t delaminate so shoved some brass rods through to see if that might help!

In the bright side, that are very hefty so won’t need to hit a chisel too hard!
Did you try degreasing with white spirits or methylated spirits immediately before gluing the ebony parts?

I’d had my monies worth out of my old router table made many years ago with a Trend T11 router, the bearings & speed control had packed up again & I had been fortunate enough to pick up a an unused woodpecker unilift about a year ago.
It wasn’t worth replacing the bearings or speed control on the T11 again & although the unilift was 20 years old it was in excellent like new condition plus my DeWalt 625 fit it perfectly.

The new table was based on my old design as it had worked more than adequately & stored nicely under my bench. I reused the old fence & NVR switch, made a new MDF box to house the router & melamine covered MDF top, a friend cnc’d me a 120mm dust extraction port & to complete the set up I bought a Muscle Chuck from @Peter Sefton which works excellently & makes bit changing a doddle.
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/musclechuck-quick-change-chuck-type-2e/
Here are a few photos

9EA88CEB-3313-428F-85BE-9A4CEB0AC4F6.jpeg

33E319DC-1E54-4AFC-9B14-B2B8B9E86CEF.jpeg

A2892315-C80A-4144-952C-B922C7A6A6BA.jpeg

C612B387-C6AF-413D-9AB4-0A3728ED7874.jpeg

08A340B0-4D11-4620-9E35-BF83870AF13B.jpeg

D3D67D78-1E13-4E42-91ED-C56048206831.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you try degreasing with white spirits or methylated spirits immediately before gluing the ebony parts?
Yep - I have a small still (for medicinal purposes of course…!) and have jars of very pure alcohol which do the trick on everything but not the ebony - I think next time I will joint the blocks properly rather than just sticking face to face.

Yep - I have a small still (for medicinal purposes of course…!) and have jars of very pure alcohol which do the trick on everything but not the ebony - I think next time I will joint the blocks properly rather than just sticking face to face.
Hmmm, something to think about for when I finally get around to making a chessboard with the lump of ebony I've been dragging around for 20 years! lol

Helping my son, daughter in law and grand kids who have just moved into their new house. Main problem is lack of storage so after flooring out part of their attic and fitting a loft ladder I got started on our granddaughters room. I ripped out her built in wardrobe and built a 4 drawer cabinet and vertical storage unit.

I then made a unit and towel rack for the boiler room and I’m half way through a under stair sliding storage build. i don’t normally work with sheet goods and what this has shown me is how limited my Lidl Parkside track saw is so I’ve just treated myself to a festool TS55!
That's great. Can you sort out the storage in my house next?

Could be the angle, but it looks like the cupboard goes right up to the boiler. Be aware boilers need some ventilation/space to safely operate. Might be worth checking

I’d had my monies worth out of my old router table made many years ago with a Trend T11 router, the bearings & speed control had packed up again & I had been fortunate enough to pick up a an unused woodpecker unilift about a year ago.
It wasn’t worth replacing the bearings or speed control on the T11 again & although the unilift was 20 years old it was in excellent like new condition plus my DeWalt 625 fit it perfectly.

The new table was based on my old design as it had worked more than adequately & stored nicely under my bench. I reused the old fence & NVR switch, made a new MDF box to house the router & melamine covered MDF top, a friend cnc’d me a 120mm dust extraction port & to complete the set up I bought a Muscle Chuck from @Peter Sefton which works excellently & makes bit changing a doddle.
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/musclechuck-quick-change-chuck-type-2e/
Here are a few photos

View attachment 173814

View attachment 173815

View attachment 173813

View attachment 173812

View attachment 173810

View attachment 173811
i like thelatches allowing you to remove the box, good job

Back