Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little bath Caddy for my wife and 6yr old daughter for a spar day at home , my daughter was so excited 🤩

Pippy Elm

Attachments

• 8BF55767-C658-40F2-9EDD-BCF33C0A916B.jpeg
    8BF55767-C658-40F2-9EDD-BCF33C0A916B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4F864433-54DB-4CAD-B84A-6B21B51B7A6F.jpeg
    4F864433-54DB-4CAD-B84A-6B21B51B7A6F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4577742B-5133-4F94-AB26-A317838B94A8.jpeg
    4577742B-5133-4F94-AB26-A317838B94A8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • B0385714-7E70-4822-8F79-60EEBA44A085.jpeg
    B0385714-7E70-4822-8F79-60EEBA44A085.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
So this evening I almost had a heart attach, sat watching telly and suddenly heard a loud snap very similar to glass cracking come from the direction of my 700ltr aquarium, I was up and across the room as fast as superman in a panic thinking a panel had cracked, spent half hour or so looking but couldn't find any cracks or any water leaks, wasn't until I had calmed down that I looked across and saw what had caused the noise....
20230319_192355.jpg
20230319_192358.jpg

I've heard some of my bowls make tiny little ticking noises on occaision when they are very very dry and I bring them indoors but this was really loud.

CA into the crack ( quickly* ) and a cord tourniquet ( made in advance and ready higher up around that belly ) then quickly slide the tourniquet down into that handy V groove at the base and wind it tight to close the crack up again.
*the gel version stays "open" for about 60 seconds to two minutes if you do it some where cold and dry. Like the fridge , or a freezer ( might even get 5 minutes working time in a freezer ) just while you are doing the repair.
If the school has a walk in freezer ? CA keeps much better , longer, in a freezer. Which is where I keep mine and some other things that keep better cold but are not food nor drink.

Last edited:
Just been out to buy some Oak ( about 10 cubic metres most in 60- 80 cm diameter logs*) cut last December, and some Sycamore ( about 3 cubic metres smaller diameter 25-50cm logs ) and some Pin Maritime ( about 2 cubic metres 40cm diameter or smaller.the guy "threw in" around 1-2 cubic metres of Cedar. I bought it all €250.00 the lot :)
Going to be shuttling back and forth ( it is around 10 kms from me ) with the trailor ..
Reason I mention is it the Cedar bark and cut wood also looks very like your mystery wood stig.
I forgot to get a photo, if I go back tomorrow, depends on the weather here, I'll try to remember to get a photo or two.

*logs in this lot are all around 50cms to 1 metre long, more to get later in the year ( currently standing trees ), I'll probably cut the trees down myself so can make the lengths whatever I want.

He is clearing 2000 sq metres of his garden he is right on the on the cliff path 100 metres from the sea, to allow more light to his house, and remove the ones that might fall on it, so he'd be cutting some more down anyway. I'd never cut a tree down without very good reason.

Last edited:
So this evening I almost had a heart attach, sat watching telly and suddenly heard a loud snap very similar to glass cracking come from the direction of my 700ltr aquarium, I was up and across the room as fast as superman in a panic thinking a panel had cracked, spent half hour or so looking but couldn't find any cracks or any water leaks, wasn't until I had calmed down that I looked across and saw what had caused the noise....
View attachment 155408View attachment 155409
I've heard some of my bowls make tiny little ticking noises on occaision when they are very very dry and I bring them indoors but this was really loud.
Ouch and that was my favourite of the two you just made

Ouch and that was my favourite of the two you just made
It will be easy to fix, I'll mount it between centres fill with CA and sand it back, I've done it once already to remove a dent in the wood from the dog knocking it over, I will probably change it to an oil finish too, I'm not a fan of the shiny finish on this wood.

Don’t see this being ready for my bro’s 50th at month end, especially as it needs shipping down south! But it’s great to have the frame and top about done and I can see the finish in sight. Zero space in the workshop when assembled!
View attachment 155587
I really like the detailing at the top of the leg nearest the camera. The little chamfer at the top of the leg catches the light just right. It makes it look like the quality piece It is.

I really like the detailing at the top of the leg nearest the camera. The little chamfer at the top of the leg catches the light just right. It makes it look like the quality piece It is.
I'd love to claim that as a win, but it's totally accidental. The tops are just balanced on at the moment to get an idea of proportion. The plan is the frame will be ebonised and the legs come up through the top, with the corners cut out. Tonight I'll be dragging the wife to the shed (ooh-er) and get her input on cutting the corners out, or leaving as is and trimming the legs to the top of the aprons. She is better at the design stuff than me.

Back