Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Doug
Nice curve and it must be great to have an opportunity to use the 'boat plane' but how did you make the template?
Simon
To make life easy I got very good mate to cnc me out an 8x4’ arc on a sheet of 18mm plywood I used this as a template for setting out the posts

AA4DB94D-8853-46BE-B850-31819DBB06EB.jpeg

He also cut me some narrow arcs of the same radius on scrap 18mm plywood which were screwed to the big piece of plywood

C57E847E-F714-4036-9879-B1484167D595.jpeg

You can probably see the saw kerfs cut in the back of the narrow arc pieces in the photo above. As these were the same radius as the large piece I needed a little waggle room as they were set back 25mm from the front edge so a slightly smaller radius, here’s a close up of a kerf cut

CB26ECEE-0DF7-4999-A031-2B536DAB8352.jpeg

Those do look nice :)

An admission..I have bought another 20 clamps since my last post a couple of hours ago..obviously I still do not have sufficient clamps ..possibly when it gets to 3 figures ..

To make life easy I got very good mate to cnc me out an 8x4’ arc on a sheet of 18mm plywood I used this as a template for setting out the posts

He also cut me some narrow arcs of the same radius on scrap 18mm plywood which were screwed to the big piece of plywood

You can probably see the saw kerfs cut in the back of the narrow arc pieces in the photo above. As these were the same radius as the large piece I needed a little waggle room as they were set back 25mm from the front edge so a slightly smaller radius, here’s a close up of a kerf cut
thanks for the explanation - the 'ask a mate with a cnc' is a good option to have!
Simon

I made a trolley with coloured bricks for my niece's twins. They are coming up to 1 year old later this month. I already have some delightful pictures where the boy is sitting in the trolley with the girl pushing him along.
The trolley is made of 24mm thick cherry wood, the base is inset 12mm beech plywood. The corners are dovetailed, all other joints are mortice and tenon. The axels are steel rod encased in beech. Finishing is Danish Oil. This thing is strong enough that I can stand in it (yes I tested it!), so it should last them a few years. I made the coloured blocks from linden wood as it is light and relatively soft; with the idea that when they are used as missiles (as they undoubtedly will be when the twins reach the "terrible twos"), they will do less damage! However, I have to admit that making the blocks myself was not necessarily the most sensible option as I could have bought them for less than I paid in paint, letter/number stickers and spray lacquer, let alone the time it took to make 140+ of them!
I made a few small errors along the way but overall I'm happy with it and I think the kids will be too, which is the most important thing.

Attachments

• Trolley1.jpg
    Trolley1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Trolley2.jpg
    Trolley2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Got cheesed off with setting everything up outside, only for the weather to change and having to pack up.

Have made some kitchen carcases for a friend and want to knock up a few shaker doors but don’t have the luxury of a workshop!

Wickes had a 15% off trade day so bought some cheap cls and made a temporary workbench for the front room (luckily the other half has her own place). Well that’s what front rooms were made for isn’t it?

bench.jpg

Using the front room - AS A TEMPORY WORKSHOP !o_O Been there - done that.:)
:D Certainly hope so! Ultimate goal is to tidy this place up, sell it and buy something in need of a major refurbishment... oh and must include a barn somewhere close to the property (y)

:D Certainly hope so! Ultimate goal is to tidy this place up, sell it and buy something in need of a major refurbishment... oh and must include a barn somewhere close to the property (y)
Nice one................... In my defence, I was also renovating my property at the time. :)

Got cheesed off with setting everything up outside, only for the weather to change and having to pack up.

Have made some kitchen carcases for a friend and want to knock up a few shaker doors but don’t have the luxury of a workshop!

Wickes had a 15% off trade day so bought some cheap cls and made a temporary workbench for the front room (luckily the other half has her own place). Well that’s what front rooms were made for isn’t it?

View attachment 154836
My large temporary workbench uses a couple of the toughbuilt sawhorses with 2x4 for aprons and an osb top. Easy to set up, breakdown and store, the saw horses are often on sale.

My large temporary workbench uses a couple of the toughbuilt sawhorses with 2x4 for aprons and an osb top. Easy to set up, breakdown and store, the saw horses are often on sale.
Many thanks Fitzroy, do own a pair which are used for site work, recently built some garage doors and a new frame (turned this garage into a games room- the old electric garage door took up too much ceiling space). The saw horses are certainly handy especially having adjustable legs (y)

IMG_20201224_122047685.jpg

Back