Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm probably going to sound pedantic but I thought honing was done with something firm (like an mdf disk mounted in a lathe or bench grinder) but a strop was a leather strap?

Racking and a tool wall as I slowly insulate and then reorder my shed.
7CDA9E35-937A-4668-A896-CB299B4CC6FB.jpeg

2C96FBA3-447B-4132-A17E-AA783E9D99C8.jpeg

Abrasive paper on a ply or mdf disc on your lathe is all you need to grind a skew. Touch up with a diamond plate until it needs refreshing on the disc.

I think we could probably come up with something akin to a record player, so its lying horizontally rather than vertical,much like a Viceroy.
See here. - I like the added piece of glass to give more support to the abrasive paper. Theres less likelihood of the tool pressure causing damage to the MDF disc.
https://www.instructables.com/Sharpening-system/

There's less likelihood of the tool pressure causing damage to the MDF disc.
I treat the discs as sacrificial anyway. Once the paper is worn it's quicker and easier to use a fresh piece than to get the paper off and true up the old disc. I always use short screws so can reuse the disc if necessary, just skimming it flat again.

Not sure if this really counts as making but my son in law is a chef and wanted me to make a serving board from an offcut of oak worktop. I don't have a big enough router bit to make a decent finger groove on the ends so just chamfered the ends on my table saw. I picked up a Dewalt impact driver for £50 from Screwfix and wanted to stow this and the drill under a shelf - the pieces I cut off the ends of the serving board turned out to be perfect for the job!

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_134729710.jpg
    IMG_20221128_134729710.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221128_111238102_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221128_111238102_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Seeing all your production pieces you've been 'turning' out lately you might be interested in this chap. His name is Steve Jones and has been a production woodturner for many years. He rarely posts these days although he has put a video on just yesterday. WOODTURNER 21. You won't often see him using much more than a skew and a gouge.

Made from English elm to go with a dressing table/desk I made earlier this year.
The drawer knobs are what they are, not my choice and the chinese quality isn't up to much but can be changed as she gets older.
This will be my last heavy project. Moving heavy pieces about is getting too much Im afraid at my age.

Made from English elm to go with a dressing table/desk I made earlier this year.
The drawer knobs are what they are, not my choice and the chinese quality isn't up to much but can be changed as she gets older.
This will be my last heavy project. Moving heavy pieces about is getting too much Im afraid at my age.
Fantastic work. An heirloom for sure. I hear you about "things getting heavy" I'm finally making a shift to using power tools...

Back