Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a Leaf Box from an idea on YouTube
CE263BD0-846C-4617-B7B0-294E1105904D.jpeg
CE263BD0-846C-4617-B7B0-294E1105904D.jpeg
FA7EC5BC-458A-415D-98A8-30270407DEB3.jpeg

I'm quite pleased with myself today, some of you may remember my failed end grain birch goblet
20211023_113754.jpg

Today I decided to put it back on the lathe crossgrain orientation and once rounded off I came up with this...

Used an offcut from the table legs I did a couple weeks ago for the finial/nob/handle, furniture wax friction polished into the wood inside and out, it's not a perfect fit but as my first turned box I'm really happy with it.

20211110_120739.jpg

Still new to turning and this is about my 10th bowl and the first one I did using just gouges, having started with carbides. Pleased with the shape and finish but need to get a bit more depth to it. May put it back on the lathe and do that at some point. Paduak is now my favourite wood.

View attachment 123030

Still new to turning and this is about my 10th bowl and the first one I did using just gouges, having started with carbides. Pleased with the shape and finish but need to get a bit more depth to it. May put it back on the lathe and do that at some point. Paduak is now my favourite wood.
Thats beautiful 😍

C317F380-793A-4DB5-B91D-C27F0B1B463A.JPG

Mother in Law wanted a box to put the ashes of her parents in so I happily took the chance to get some practice making square boxes and made this Solid ash ashes box. Nothing fancy and tbh the little skirt/feet thing I put on it was a mistake as the Mitres are really not great. In fact I grain wrapped the whole box and the only mitre that actually fits perfectly is the one on the corner where the grains done match!

tempImageJ8hERD.pngtempImagePe9Yn7.png

(One day I'll work out why the pictures upload upside-down!)

And I've finally finished my Wardrobe units. Sliding MDF doors either Satin White or Ash Veneered with Matching edgebanding.
Drawers are all From one sheet of Birch ply so again grain all matched and managed to get them out of a pretty clean BB/BB sheet so it only has one small patch just below a handle cut out. Drawers are all Blum undercount slides which are a pigto get your head round but glad I've done them now as I think I've made all the mistake you could make with them now!

Learnt lots from both projects and hopefully won't make the same mistakes again next time

Wanted to try a different finish to the beeswax furniture polish I've been using so today while in town I picked up a tin of pure walnut oil to use as a foodsafe finish, when I got home I went straight out to put a coat on the cherrywood pedestal bowl I started a while ago, this piece is going to be a Xmas gift for a friend, pretty sure he will love it asuch as I do.
So far it has one coat of oil, I'm not sure how long I should leave it between coats so going to leave it overnight, I'll put another coat on in the morning followed by a 3rd in the afternoon, if the wood still seems thirsty at theb3rd coat I'll do a 4th after work Monday afternoon.
View attachment 122792
May I ask where you get your walnut oil/what brand it is? From my googling, it seems the Americans have a brand called Mahoney's which seems to be the go to brand for wood finishing, rather than the culinary type, but I can't see any equivalent here in the UK?
Ian

I googled "does walnut oil polymerise" and that came up. I thought it did. It seems from that that the oils that polymerise are the ones that go rancid, which is interesting to know.
Yeah, seems almost like it's a game of luck as to whether you get polymerisation and a nice finish or not, I think maybe several light coats of oil spread over a longer period may be a better application rather than 2 or 3 heavy coats that take forever (or never) to dry fully

Back