Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shoe stand.
Plywood and pine.
hKVY8WG.jpg

Bri

weekend_woodworker":131tec5x said:
cbb576823ffdbdcc6abded8ac894837c.jpg

I made these two boxes to hold garden twine as a present at the weekend. They are made out of some beech worktop I was given from Freecycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use a router to cut the angles? I have a couple of router bits to cut 6/12 and 8 sided boxes but have never used them (massively lack the confidence with a router)

Garno":fx83sl79 said:
weekend_woodworker":fx83sl79 said:
cbb576823ffdbdcc6abded8ac894837c.jpg

I made these two boxes to hold garden twine as a present at the weekend. They are made out of some beech worktop I was given from Freecycle.

Did you use a router to cut the angles? I have a couple of router bits to cut 6/12 and 8 sided boxes but have never used them (massively lack the confidence with a router)
I cut the angles for the sides on the table saw using one of those small digital angle boxes to get them spot on. I then used a router bit with a bearing to trim the top and bottoms.

Jonathan S":38a6hupx said:
Nice one Bob....for the scroll work did you use mdf?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Yes CNC out of MDF, veneered in ASH as we wanted a grain on the doors and frames.

MikeG.":1h97b7n2 said:
That's wonderful, Bob. If it is veneered, does that mean the edges are exposed MDF?

Yes but covered in 3 coats of paint, they are so narrow it's not noticeable there is no grain, pain in the butt to spray and denib.

updated my vice with the nitrile impregnated cork, and also got some better m6 flanged hex bolts to hold the jaw in place, wish I'd have done this much sooner, the extra grip the cork gives is really noticeable!

Attachments

• vice_jaws_closeup-1.jpg
    vice_jaws_closeup-1.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 316
  • vice_jaws_closeup-4.jpg
    vice_jaws_closeup-4.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 316
  • vice_jaws_closeup-2.jpg
    vice_jaws_closeup-2.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 316
  • vice_jaws_closeup-3.jpg
    vice_jaws_closeup-3.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 316
Latest client project installed this weekend.

Utility room cupboard, 18mm MRMDF outside sprayed with Morrell's water based lacquer in "Scottish kilt".
2x1 5ths framework pocket holed together and affixed to the walls, floor and ceiling.
Inside 9mm MRMDF lining sprayed with Morrell's again, brilliant white.
Door hung on 4no Blum cranked soft close hinges.

This was a nice project with some interesting little details to overcome and some lovely clients.
There's a little bit of touching up to do on the caulked edge but they are going to do that when they give the room it's second coat of paint.

Utility Cupboard outside.jpg

Utility Cupboard inside.jpg

Attachments

• Utility Cupboard outside.jpg
    Utility Cupboard outside.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Utility Cupboard inside.jpg
    Utility Cupboard inside.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 305
Not the most exciting project, but useful. I made myself a proper set of winding sticks.

They're part of a reclaimed handrail (possibly utile or sapele) with walnut and birch inlays. Finish is blonde shellac.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_074408-2304x1088.jpg
    IMG_20191008_074408-2304x1088.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20191008_074357-2304x1088.jpg
    IMG_20191008_074357-2304x1088.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 217
A large frame for a scoreboard (for the Guernsey Rifle Club). The scoreboard is a whiteboard style board on c.3mm aluminium. The frame is oak and there is a thin ply sheet which holds the scoreboard in and which is pinned to the frame.

No hand tools I'm afraid. All made with table saw, P/T machine and router table. I made a mitre jig for the table saw with inspiration from one by Steve Maskery of this parish. I'm gradually building up a home workshop and this is the first thing that's come out of it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da2.jpg

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da0.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da0.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 219
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da1.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 219
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da2.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7da2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 219
Working on an absolutely enormous project at the moment. For those interested, I have been using a double-bevel Gransfors broad axe - this creates the nice scalloped texture you can see in the photo. As opposed to a single-bevel broad axe that gives you a cleaner face.

Lpc7Mu9.jpg

Them chippings are going to block the dust extraction! Would love to see more info and pics on what you’re doing.

Fitz.

Ha! We are under an embargo about posting photos on social media etc unfortunately so that's probably as much as I should share right now.

I can say though that the foundations of an enormous Roman villa were discovered on a very wealthy estate, so they have decided to rebuild the villa near the original site and open it to the public. The visible timbers inside the villa will have been hewn - they want to keep things as authentic as possible. We have something like 80 French oaks to hew and cut to size and we're nearly halfway through after 3 weeks.

This is quite cool: I was going through one of the logs with my Alaskan mill (one of the faces will be cut, the other 3 hewn) and went straight through this. It appears to be a bullet of a fairly large calibre (it's certainly lead) and this being French oak leads me to think it may have happened in WW2. But if anyone can shed any light or debunk my theory I'd love to hear it.

STXU9YH.jpg

Back