Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":1vy40u1t said:
:idea: It would be an interesting project to make a pair of matching templets, one to cut the keys, one to cut the recesses ... :?

Norm did this using one template and two different guide bushes to give the different sizes. There is an acrylic template available [Rockler?] from the U.S. of T., the prices are amusing for a mass produced piece of plastic. Perhaps you have identified a niche [albeit limited].

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o....TRS0&_nkw=router+Template+butterfly&_sacat=0

I don't take on many commisions nowadays, too busy teaching, but I do some work for long standing customers. One is a puzzle maker who i make bioxes for. One of the many other strings to his bow is professional bridge teacher. He asked me to make this bidding board for a project he has teaching bridge to children. The box is walnut, the maple grid is for placing bids (in bridge you bid to say how many tricks you will win, bidding is also a coded way of telling your partner what you have in your hand) when the bidding is complete the grid is covered with boards lined with green baize. The reverse of the board is decorated with the four suites inlayed in black and red. The board folds up and the other boards fit inside.

The corners are mitred and reinforced with 4mm dominos. The 10mm maple grid is mitred and fitted in 3mm deep grooves in the board. The hinges are Brusso. I have to say that even thoiught they are expensive they do save a lot of fitting time. An 8mm bit on the router table and they are fitted in about half an hour.

Whilst working on this last week I decided to make a couple of boxes for the children of Palistinian friends living on the occupied west bank. The box is yew with a masur birch veneered lid inlaid with the Palistinian flag. To save hinging I made it with a tilting lid. The corners were just mitred then reinforced with biscuits.

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 313
will1983":29lpiosj said:
Where did you get your filters from No Legs?
I'm thinking of making a cabinet to house a dust extractor with one of those in the door to do a final polish to the air as it leaves the cabinet.

Sorry Will, I forgot to answer you earlier.
I bought them from a trader on eBay. Here's the link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-Pleated-Pa ... jBL9uurBNg

n0legs":mzur8ygc said:
will1983":mzur8ygc said:
Where did you get your filters from No Legs?
I'm thinking of making a cabinet to house a dust extractor with one of those in the door to do a final polish to the air as it leaves the cabinet.

Sorry Will, I forgot to answer you earlier.
I bought them from a trader on eBay. Here's the link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-Pleated-Pa ... jBL9uurBNg

Cheers No Legs! :D

Made a wristrest for an officemate after a challenge. 30 minutes work from a rough-sawn offcut with hand tools (would have been less time but I was foostering around with my new Knew Concepts fretsaw).

2017-03-09-11.00.24a.jpg

Total cost, €2 for wood and felt (there's some underneath so it doesn't slide on the office tabletop) and glue and finishes (roughly). Utterly unremarkable and I wouldn't remark on it except for this bit:

The challenge was that I couldn't make it quickly and cheaply, because he was looking at this one on Massdrop

Screen-Shot-2017-03-08-at-23.40.48.png

Same size exactly, I think that's walnut as well, but they wanted $95 for it.
(I nearly choked on my coffee when he showed me the pricetag).

I mean... once you joint and plane the rough-sawn timber, that's two tablesaw cuts, two mitre saw cuts and a minute on a router table for each one. It'd cost them less than it cost me. What the hell is the profit margin on these things? :shock:

thetyreman":1zm1w71g said:
finally finished a giant sized bookshelf......

Mr T":1zm1w71g said:
I don't take on many commisions nowadays, too busy teaching, but I do some work for long standing customers.......

Great stuff! =D>

have been making an outdoor bench using hounds tooth dovetails using the green coloured 'treated' timber, it still needs another couple of layers of tung oil yet before it's complete.

Attachments

• houndstoothbench-1.jpg
    houndstoothbench-1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 141
  • houndstoothbench-2.jpg
    houndstoothbench-2.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 142
  • houndstoothbench-3.jpg
    houndstoothbench-3.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 142
  • houndstoothbench-4.jpg
    houndstoothbench-4.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 142
  • houndstoothbench-5.jpg
    houndstoothbench-5.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 142
  • houndstoothbench-6.jpg
    houndstoothbench-6.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 141
  • houndstoothbench-7.jpg
    houndstoothbench-7.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 141
thetyreman":25rk4cp8 said:
have been making an outdoor bench using hounds tooth dovetails using the green coloured 'treated' timber, it still needs another couple of layers of tung oil yet before it's complete.

Fancy looking dovetails thetyreman, but I think you ought to put some sort of bracing under the corners or a board across from leg to leg oriented vertically to prevent racking,
it would be a shame after going to so much effort to see your creation fold up and do someone an injury.

DTR":1g3xyfb3 said:
Some brackets for a towel rail

CC8971DC-7CD4-49D6-A20C-6B5B48B1FD52.jpg

You've done well there Dave. I know how difficult it is to have superficially simple looking components, but actually produce them with real precision and accuracy. It's far from easy to deliver really excellent work like that!

=D>

thetyreman":1idy3fxb said:
finally finished a giant sized bookshelf...learnt a lot from doing this and it's something I genuinely need.

You're doing brilliantly Tyre Man, working through a structured series of projects with real discipline and commitment. I really admire the way you don't allow yourself to get distracted by all the woodworking trivia that prevents progress. You just keep beavering away, tucking more and more woodworking skills under your belt.

=D>

n0legs":3kymrws9 said:
Finished this little table, not bad seeing as I started it in 2015 :roll:
Made of hemlock, douglas fir and an unknown hardwood. All done with hand tools for a change, well except for the sanding :lol:
I call it the "Leftovers table".

Looks good. Like the idea of a "leftovers" project.

Finished the base for a glass cake display unit today. Made of 2 pieces of oak which were book matched and joined in the middle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.44.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.44.12 pm.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 430
Finished a bedside table, first thing I've made that I designed myself.
Ash, Elm & painted ply.
IMG_0292.JPG

Stuff that I learned -
Some joints are easier to cut by hand rather than insisting on using a Domino.
A shooting board is my new favourite item in the workshop...
Closely followed by a card scraper.
I need to check and double check for square during glue up - might make fitting drawers easier!

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Can't wait to start the next one and iron out those mistakes.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 448

Latest posts

Back