Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After making chopping boards for all of the family this Christmas, SWMBO was rather disappointed that I didn't make one for us... So knocked this up with the oak offcuts and two ash butterflies. First time doing them, rather pleased with the result!

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 164
First go at a nautilus shell which has been on my "to try" list for a while. Just a bit of softwood to tyry chosen for the grain but it was quite dense and heavy so not sure what it is.
Also a quick rabbit puzzle for my 3 year old granddaughter.

Attachments

• rabbit 4.jpg
    rabbit 4.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Rabbit 3.jpg
    Rabbit 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 144
  • shell 6.jpg
    shell 6.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 145
  • shell 7.jpg
    shell 7.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 145
Wow , some great stuff here in the last while ...
That shell is stunning :shock:
Looks like it took some work, Its got me wondering how you done it .
I must say, I never liked the look of knots in pine until now .
Spent yesterday doing something else other than hand planing
and tried a load of tools out for the first time, which I had hidden away .
Reluctantly made a shooting board by hand as I wanted to get my tablesaw commissioned first .
Which involved other rabbit holes like making basic sharpening setup V.2
Everything involves a rabbit hole that I can think of at the moment (hammer)
I spent a good while trying to find a video (At least, I think it was in a video) of someone using a
"speed square" for shooting 45 degrees, which they routed out a dado for the tool to rest in
Just wanted to see it again to get an impression how good it might be,
but got fed up searching in the end .

Attachments

• SAM_1405.JPG
    SAM_1405.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 114
philipjdall":1l2swsj1 said:
After making chopping boards for all of the family this Christmas, SWMBO was rather disappointed that I didn't make one for us... So knocked this up with the oak offcuts and two ash butterflies. First time doing them, rather pleased with the result!

is that rippled oak?

Yes, it was on the side of a larger board. Only this small portion was rippled. Is that normal?

It was very tricky to work with, p/t just tore out terribly. Lots of patience with a block plane was needed. But good practice I'm sure!

no, i have not seen it before, either in person or in pictures. Nice work!

Ttrees":2l60k5if said:
I spent a good while trying to find a video (At least, I think it was in a video) of someone using a
"speed square" for shooting 45 degrees, which they routed out a dado for the tool to rest in
Just wanted to see it again to get an impression how good it might be,
but got fed up searching in the end .

Was it this? (at just after 7 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWbgkl_ryM

Setch":1l41fp7m said:
Mahogany, ebony and pau ferro veneer box for an eclipse honing guide, Xmas present for my brother. True oil finish, knocked back to satin with steel wool.

Bloody lovely =D> =D>

Haven't posted anything for a while.
So,,,, flip top mobile base for the thicknesser. Poor thing is a bit work weary, but it does deserve somewhere nice to sit.
I did make the base big enough to fit a replacement when the time comes :wink:

And, I took a load of this:-

Melted it in the oven, gave it a big squeeze in a mold, of sorts.
Rough turned them into some of these:-

Then I made them into a pair of wheels for my table saw :D

n0legs":pai2gepi said:
davem62":pai2gepi said:
Lons
really like the shell ,the grain and colour make the shape stand out,

david

Agreed,
Well done Lons =D>

Thanks for the comments guys

ttrees Looks like it took some work, Its got me wondering how you done it

Not as difficult as it looks just fiddly, 32 pieces, and sanding was a chore because much of it was by hand as I don't have a flexi sanding pad like the one in the video.

Check out youtube for videos.

Bob

Finished this Sam Maloof fish sculpture. I had seen it on the Sam Maloof flickr album and thought I should have a go at that. This is elm from the big house estate next to me.

Roughed out on the bandsaw mostly then combination of spokeshave and rasp then sanding and more sanding. Not bad for a first go, I think I will be making more based on comments and would do things somewhat differently both in design and execution.

15975043_858592457617065_3715231133255151551_o.jpg

15941162_858592420950402_6360830433982145421_n.jpg

n0legs":84g8ugql said:
Haven't posted anything for a while.
So,,,, flip top mobile base for the thicknesser. Poor thing is a bit work weary, but it does deserve somewhere nice to sit.
I did make the base big enough to fit a replacement when the time comes :wink:

And, I took a load of this:-

Melted it in the oven, gave it a big squeeze in a mold, of sorts.
Rough turned them into some of these:-

Then I made them into a pair of wheels for my table saw :D

what were the coloured beads?

Steve

SteveF":2tz53np4 said:

Steve

Cut up, painstakingly I add :lol: :-
Milk bottles, milk bottle tops, coke bottle tops, Tresemme bottles, anything that was hdpe grade plastic to be honest Steve. Quite fun to experiment, but I won't be repeating it anytime soon :lol:

n0legs":3guipiwd said:
SteveF":3guipiwd said:

Steve

Cut up, painstakingly I add :lol: :-
Milk bottles, milk bottle tops, coke bottle tops, Tresemme bottles, anything that was hdpe grade plastic to be honest Steve. Quite fun to experiment, but I won't be repeating it anytime soon :lol:

Nolegs, just want to say I love your wheels. I saw a youtube vid once of some american making a mallet from melted down milk cartons. If I remember rightly the vid was quite annoying (they kept trying to be funny) but the mallet itself was pretty cool.
Paddy

Back