Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skipdiver":3qjdeucy said:
MattRoberts":3qjdeucy said:
garethharvey":3qjdeucy said:
With what very little time I have, this has taken me 6 weeks so far, will be a grandfather myself by the time it's finished :D
Wow!

What is it? :D

Grandfather clock base i assumed.

You are correct, I seen this clock in a recent episode of Fine Woodworking. It's by Edward Darchuk, an American woodworker

Very fine it looks too. Making a clock has been on my to do list for a long time, though i never contemplated a Grandfather. Maybe i should.

bench_monkey":2v57jqad said:
I've been lurking for a long time as I forgot my password but I was inspired by coleys window step by step guide so thought I share a couple of my last jobs. Had a bit of help from a top cnc operator and also a great machinist, I'm happy with these!

3590fbcad82500d094b19594564daa25.jpg

438368cc9ebee08285c7f00c646416f4.jpg

Current job, bay window with a radius cill hot off the cnc

b24670eca324d69d147d354fd53f90b1.jpg

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice tidy job bench monkey, they look great !!!!

Coley

Finished another Shaker cabinet ready for Christmas delivery, 100% solid wood (including the back and the panels) in some pretty nice Curly Cherry, every scrap came from the same tree for consistent colour matching. My rubbish phone photo doesn't really do the timber justice, when you move around it the rippled figure is so intense that the whole thing just shimmers like it's a hologram!

Shaker-Cab-Curly-Cherry.jpg

Plenty of hand cut dovetails

Shaker-Cab-Drawers-1.jpg

And lots of cute detailing like drawer slips, thin drawer sides, and muntins

Shaker-Cab-Drawers-2.jpg

Shaker-Cab-Drawers-3.jpg

I made two of these in 2016, along with a third that was quite a bit larger in Tiger Oak with a more Arts & Crafts spin to it.

I've got an order for a similar Shaker "cabinet on cabinet" in 2017, slightly larger and with an extra two drawers and a more elaborately fitted interior to the top cupboard, that will again be solid timber construction but built from some spectacular Fiddleback Maple. Made a start last week on the cutting list, it's nice wood, planes sweetly as well given the rippled figure,

Maple-Off-Cuts-1.jpg

Attachments

• Shaker-Cab-Curly-Cherry.jpg
    Shaker-Cab-Curly-Cherry.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Shaker-Cab-Drawers-1.jpg
    Shaker-Cab-Drawers-1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Shaker-Cab-Drawers-2.jpg
    Shaker-Cab-Drawers-2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 175
  • Shaker-Cab-Drawers-3.jpg
    Shaker-Cab-Drawers-3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Maple-Off-Cuts-1.jpg
    Maple-Off-Cuts-1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 175
MrTeroo":23tfpn32 said:
Beautiful cabinet. I would love to have a tenth of your skill.

What is a muntin?

A muntin is the central support in the bottom of the drawer, it allows it to carry a bit more of a load without sagging. I always make sure the Cedar of Lebanon drawer bottom has unbroken grain that runs right across the muntin, just one of those tiny little touches of traditional cabinet making that you don't get on the High Street and that justifies a higher price.

Incidentally, having looked at your bench build I can absolutely assure you that a cabinet like this isn't all that much of a stretch for you. In truth it's just straightforward rectilinear furniture making that's all straight lines and 90 degree angles. To be honest I sometimes get a bit bored making this kind of cabinetry and case work. What I really enjoy is chair making, with compound angles, no reference surfaces, and highly stressed joinery, chairs are way more technically demanding. This is a chair I made in 2015 that went with a matching desk, it was all in heavily rippled Black Walnut. That was a fun build!

Walnut-Chair-1.jpg

Walnut-Chair-2.jpg

Attachments

• Walnut-Chair-1.jpg
    Walnut-Chair-1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Walnut-Chair-2.jpg
    Walnut-Chair-2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 159
You see, I'd pass right over a photo of that chair thinking it a bit ordinary, where as the cabinet seems like something else! Funny how a lack of real understanding of how a piece of furniture works and is made leads is amateurs to the wrong conclusion. Both splendid though!

F.

Fitzroy":nbtluyyc said:
You see, I'd pass right over a photo of that chair thinking it a bit ordinary, where as the cabinet seems like something else! Funny how a lack of real understanding of how a piece of furniture works and is made leads is amateurs to the wrong conclusion. Both splendid though!

F.

Hello,

This is why it is hard to make a living being a maker. The amount if work required to make just a 'simple' chair is disproportionately high, in comparison to the value the customer ascribs to it. Quite often a dining table and chairs set will be priced so that the table, ( high perceived value) makes up for the poor price the customer is willing to pay for the chairs. It is quite easy to make a loss on chairs and have to make up for it on the table, which might have taken less than half the time to make than the chairs, but people will pay five times more for!

Treacherous business!

Mike.

Fitzroy":1vgmies6 said:

F.
how strange
I look at that chair and go WOW
I look at the cabinet and the way it is constructed and think I could never make in a million years
but
I think is ugly
this is not meant to be a detrimental comment so please not be offended
I could not make either to 1% of that quality
I am in awe of your skills, just don't see the beauty in this piece
if i have offended anyone...sorry

Steve

custard":24h5th0h said:
Incidentally, having looked at your bench build I can absolutely assure you that a cabinet like this isn't all that much of a stretch for you. In truth it's just straightforward rectilinear furniture making that's all straight lines and 90 degree angles.

Very kind of you to say that. I can only dream of the finish and attention to detail you get.

I have only worked with B&Q / Wickes wood so far. In the new year I am going to attempt to make a hardwood wall hung tool cabinet, so we will see (homer)

MrTeroo":2g57c0nn said:
custard":2g57c0nn said:
Incidentally, having looked at your bench build I can absolutely assure you that a cabinet like this isn't all that much of a stretch for you. In truth it's just straightforward rectilinear furniture making that's all straight lines and 90 degree angles.

Very kind of you to say that. I can only dream of the finish and attention to detail you get.

I have only worked with B&Q / Wickes wood so far. In the new year I am going to attempt to make a hardwood wall hung tool cabinet, so we will see (homer)

Which is possibly the worst wood known to man and consequently difficult to work.

This is why it is hard to make a living being a maker. The amount if work required to make just a 'simple' chair is disproportionately high, in comparison to the value the customer ascribs to it. Quite often a dining table and chairs set will be priced so that the table, ( high perceived value) makes up for the poor price the customer is willing to pay for the chairs. It is quite easy to make a loss on chairs and have to make up for it on the table, which might have taken less than half the time to make than the chairs, but people will pay five times more for!

Yes, that's about the shape of it. I can make a piece like the Shaker cabinet-on-cabinet in five or six weeks, and as long as it's made in some drop dead gorgeous timber that you'll never see on the High Street it'll sell for between £5,500 and £7,000. From a commercial perspective that works. However, I can't make a chair (or at least the kind of chairs I want to make) in under two weeks, if I'm really honest it's usually closer to three, and I can't get more than £1,000 or £1,200. So pretty much the only time the numbers work out is if the chair is a companion piece to a desk or a dressing table, and they're both made in some really distinctive timber so that it would be impossible to match it with a High Street bought chair. After you factor in overheads I still end up making the chair for minimum wage, but I enjoy it so much I'm generally happy to take on the commission!

MattRoberts":3grkq01r said:
Fantastic work Custard! I can attest to the beautiful grain, and I only saw it part complete. Lovely craftsmanship :)

Kind of you to say so Matt. Actually you saw the first one, this is the second!

I'll second those comments, Custard, lovely work and timber. The fact that neither is particularly to my taste is entirely beside the point - the ability to completely indulge one's own taste and timetable is the luxury of the amateur like me. Having taken four years to complete four chairs (all slightly different) I have huge admiration for someone who can work to that sort of standard quickly and then repeat it several times, but absolutely no desire to attempt anything similar myself. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jim

SteveF":28atdwf8 said:
just don't see the beauty in this piece
if i have offended anyone...sorry

Steve

No offence taken, in fact there are some Shaker design details that I'm not happy with either, but "authenticity" means they stay in. For example, the Shaker top moulding to my thinking just isn't substantial enough to arrest your gaze and keep your attention within the piece of furniture. I try to compensate in a couple of ways, by making the drawer fronts from the most spectacular of the boards and by having matching cruciform panel layouts on the doors, both in an effort to drag the viewer's attention back down, but even so an Arts & Crafts design with a more impressive cornice on the top, works that much better.

custard":wx7kbs9w said:

Yes, that's about the shape of it. I can make a piece like the Shaker cabinet-on-cabinet in five or six weeks, and as long as it's made in some drop dead gorgeous timber that you'll never see on the High Street it'll sell for between £5,500 and £7,000. From a commercial perspective that works. However, I can't make a chair (or at least the kind of chairs I want to make) in under two weeks, if I'm really honest it's usually closer to three, and I can't get more than £1,000 or £1,200. So pretty much the only time the numbers work out is if the chair is a companion piece to a desk or a dressing table, and they're both made in some really distinctive timber so that it would be impossible to match it with a High Street bought chair. After you factor in overheads I still end up making the chair for minimum wage, but I enjoy it so much I'm generally happy to take on the commission!

Hello,

I'm glad you can and do, Custard. I just wish I could do so as well, but tried, failed and reluctant to try again.

Keep up the good work.

Mike.

Well Custard I must say that is a beautiful piece =D> =D>
For me, the colour and finish is spot on and the size and proportions are just right.
Thanks for posting.

Back