Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this box...
I like band saw boxes... but haven't attempted one yet!
I realise sanding is a necessity and that produces gaps
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the gaps equal around the fronts?

You could always glue two strips inside the base or on the underside of the drawer to pick it up slightly.
Might make the gap at the top look tighter and give the impression of an equal gap at the bottom.

I don't think it looks bad as is though.

You could always glue two strips inside the base or on the underside of the drawer to pick it up slightly.

yeah, I was planning to do that, I've got some veneer which would be ideal for shims.

Cheers
Mark

Water-Mark":3qfgrg2o said:
Might make the gap at the top look tighter and give the impression of an equal gap at the bottom.

I don't think it looks bad as is though.

No I think it looks awesome as is... but I have seen some on the internet that are nowhere near as good as this one.... just wondered how to sort the gap issue that I'll no doubt have!!!

Thanks for the kind comments Melinda :)

I think the secret (which I managed to fail to do) is the make the inner cut as smooth and as clean possible which means minimal sanding/cleanup. Also I thin it helps to use a thin blade with a nice fine cut. I was doing OK on the main curve but butchered the corners by trying to cut too tight a radius; ended up having to go backwards and forwards a few times and got the blade stuck.

All the boxes I've seen have fairly large gap which I think looks OK if it's even all the way round (unlike mine)

Good luck and don't forget to post some pics! I personally get lots of inspiration looking at other peoples work

Cheers
Mark

a896c6a13a41923af112d3d58ebde78e.jpg

eb241abe57455bf7a7d09f3c4aaa9d56.jpg

A dog I carved with a walnut ball for a friends Christmas present.

Melinda_dd":rcxuz1eg said:
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the gaps equal around the fronts?

Hi, I have no experience with making these. However, as the whole piece is made from thinner sections, how about cutting the front section with a sloping cut, fatter towards the outside all around. That way the drawer front would push into its surround and completely close the gap. If the surround were then reduced in thickness the front would be flush. The depth of the drawer would need to be reduced slightly.

xy

Phase 1 of the dog house :D
edd095cc8ac2ecb78af70861a3594dbb.jpg

aef0fa29c26cac54a1b4e5a3ea4eeb48.jpg

I used some left over larch so hopefully it'll tone down after a while. Sheet of metal was left over so didn't really cost me anything besides time. I stupidly thought I could bash it out in an hour - it took 5 ! :eek: :lol: hopefully some time add an extra area on top for him to stretch out in the sun.

I hope the littl'un isn't going to be in there in a hail storm. It would turn him barking mad :lol: , and you know what that means with a Jack Russell.

xy

Water-Mark":3axn6pyn said:
What a cute little dog!

Is that just his garden room, or is he an outdoor dog?
Just a garden play house. He lives in bungalow but at 9.45 am he's allowed to reak havoc with the dog flap open. He usually comes in when I get back from work.
I live close to workshop/work so quite often he comes over shop to help/hinder :lol:
85a8f16a7417cbdb436acefd9d482efd.jpg

f11f71952c2792997f46a641819d013c.jpg

I originally got him for my mum, but for one reason or another I took him on.

xy mosian":3psalia3 said:
I hope the littl'un isn't going to be in there in a hail storm. It would turn him barking mad :lol: , and you know what that means with a Jack Russell.

xy
3116d8f0b592efebac5d172559cac170.jpg

Yup, I imagine similar reaction to having a bath - leggit....quick ! :lol:

I've just remembered my own dear departed rascal. Isn't it amazing just how far those little legs will spread as they are being lowered towards the bath?
xy

xy mosian":23iim07n said:
I've just remembered my own dear departed rascal. Isn't it amazing just how far those little legs will spread as they are being lowered towards the bath?
xy
He really doesn't seem to mind the bath part, he quite likes it ! It's the after bath where he goes dolally. He must think..... " I'm damp, I feel damp, I must run away from this dampness, arghhhhh !!" After a rainy dog walk he does exactly the same. I'll unclip the lead and he has a moment to gather his thoughts then bang, he's gone doing laps of the lawn :lol: it's really entertaining to watch. I had to take out pet insurance cause Im sure this might be how he injures himself. How old was yours ?

My first made it to 12 and the second, Jack Russell cross albino Giraffe, made 13. Had both from pups.
You mention running injuries, I reset dislocated shoulders on both. More so in the smaller first dog. He came limping over and as I stroked his, front, leg to examine for a break it just clicked into place. Vet said that while still warm I couldn't put it back wrong, and if I was causing pain he'd let me know. Of coarse once set he just left, at speed naturally.
xy

xy mosian":1de1fyrv said:
Doris, I like that a lot. I like the apparent simplicity. Do you work to own designs?

xy
Thanks glad you like it . Yes. I create a marquette from plasticine and then make a template from these and keep the model as a guide. Like my current project. The plasticine model is the one furthest away. It's never identical to the model but you're just trying to get the movement right.

dsc_4123-e1418402772111.jpg

Back